**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Whales, offers, f2p and the root cause of disgruntlement?

MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,139 ★★★★
Free to play or just minor spenders, didn't have to compete against whales in the past.

For nearly all of the games history, you could obtain an end game account through broadly free to play activity, play competitively enough for your tastes in AQ and AW, complete all end game content and never have to run against any whales, unless you were a super try hard sweaty f2p, trying to complete for a place in a top 30 AQ or AW alliance.

As entertainingly documented by Brian Grant over many years.

Yes dolphins and those best of the best f2p or occasional spenders, would come up against whales every now and again, but for the rest of us, it never happened.

Until, in my view, BGs

Before BGs, you could be an end game paragon, full completion account, like wouldrunforadonut, play wars and AQ and never come across a whale. Feel like your account with 1 or 2 r5s and full roster of r4s is competitive, for what you play against in AQ and AW. Achieve day or month 1 new progression titles, have the full 6+ 7* on release. But never feel like you are losing out on being competitive by whales spamming on offers.

BGs means that now, every f2p paragon, or even minor spender, has to face and be crushed by whales, every season; that sinking feeling of your R4 roster being pointless in the face of multiple duped R2 7*s.

And that's not in GC or just those pushing to catch bero.

It's from bronze III, all the way through the VC, for every paragon.

Everyone now gets to feel the crushing gap between a decent f2p player and a whale. What used to not bother in the slightest, is now a raw experience for every paragon.

You can simply not play BGs, of course, but kabam have been putting the very best rewards in the game, behind playing BGs. Even today; want to ascend your R5? Better get used to being crushed by whales.

The gap is now visible and stark for such a huge amount of the player base.

Personally, I'm immensely grateful for the whales keeping the lights on; they need to have that advantage.

Kabam could solve the perception problem, by solving the BG problem. Which isn't going to be easy.

Comments

• Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 826 ★★★★
    Jealousy mostly and the rest is misunderstanding the nature of business. If Kabam sold nothing or made the game subscription only, the game would be dead. If Kabam increased all the rewards in game, F2P would still be behind.
  • Options
    11993451199345 Posts: 496 ★★★
    I suggested removing purchase caps and item refresh timers in the Glory and Loyalty stores...it would certainly help ftp specifically and everyone overall
  • Options
    SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,550 ★★★★★
    The problem is solved now, by upgrading AW Master s rewards by 1000%. Dozens of times better than BGs, only for top spenders alliance.
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,529 ★★★★★

Free to play or just minor spenders, didn't have to compete against whales in the past.

For nearly all of the games history, you could obtain an end game account through broadly free to play activity, play competitively enough for your tastes in AQ and AW, complete all end game content and never have to run against any whales, unless you were a super try hard sweaty f2p, trying to complete for a place in a top 30 AQ or AW alliance.

Yes dolphins and those best of the best f2p or occasional spenders, would come up against whales every now and again, but for the rest of us, it never happened.

Until, in my view, BGs

Before BGs, you could be an end game paragon, full completion account, like wouldrunforadonut, play wars and AQ and never come across a whale. Feel like your account with 1 or 2 r5s and full roster of r4s is competitive, for what you play against in AQ and AW. Achieve day or month 1 new progression titles, have the full 6+ 7* on release. But never feel like you are losing out on being competitive by whales spamming on offers.

BGs means that now, every f2p paragon, or even minor spender, has to face and be crushed by whales, every season; that sinking feeling of your R4 roster being pointless in the face of multiple duped R2 7*s.

Everyone now gets to feel the crushing gap between a decent f2p player and a whale. What used to not bother in the slightest, is now a raw experience for every paragon.

You can simply not play BGs, of course, but kabam have been putting the very best rewards in the game, behind playing BGs. Even today; want to ascend your R5? Better get used to being crushed by whales.

Personally, I'm immensely grateful for the whales keeping the lights on; they need to have that advantage.

Kabam could solve the perception problem, by solving the BG problem. Which isn't going to be easy.

It's not an issue with roster in bronze like you claim. Skill trumps roster. That's why I can use a mini account I haven't played seriously in years, go into the victory track with a a couple r3 and mostly r5 5* and destroy rosters with all r4 and higher all the way to diamond. Yes equal skill comes down to roster and its hard to finish on celestial as a ftp now, but what you are describing is a skill issue. Unless you get unlucky and happen to match a top 100 player in victory track, most whales don't have a clue what they are doing in the game.
  • Options
    Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★
    edited September 2023

Until, in my view, BGs

It's not an issue with roster in bronze like you claim. Skill trumps roster. That's why I can use a mini account I haven't played seriously in years, go into the victory track with a a couple r3 and mostly r5 5* and destroy rosters with all r4 and higher all the way to diamond. Yes equal skill comes down to roster and its hard to finish on celestial as a ftp now, but what you are describing is a skill issue. Unless you get unlucky and happen to match a top 100 player in victory track, most whales don't have a clue what they are doing in the game.
    You say that but its not true……
    It might be the case most of the time but its not entirely true.
    You are failing to see the matchmaking brackets at play prior to plat2
    Only a paragon account will face these whales.
    An account like your mini will not see an account much different to itself until plat 2.

My mate who has not played bgs yet this season just jumped in. And has been struggling.
    He is a good skilled player.
    Has a decent roster.
    Has been having a bit of a rough run in silver 1.

He has like 1 r5 and a fair few r4’s but nothing like what his opponent had here.
    This is not going to come down to skill. This is clearly just a whale who has been lazy on bgs ain’t got no chance here

• Options
    FrydayFryday Posts: 813 ★★★★
  • Options
    FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,817 ★★★★

Until, in my view, BGs

I understand your frustration. However, the issue with whales is only present in high levels of BG. Players in lower levels don't have this problem, meaning Kabam won't bother fixing this issue. This issue only affects a small minority of the overall playerbase.
  • Options
    Red867Red867 Posts: 25
    Everyone was so excited to have this content come out. Well when you start pitting the player base against one another a huge portion is bound to be upset and lose interest in the game. Pandora box has been opened.
  • Options
    willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 3,591 ★★★★★
    edited September 2023

Is someone impersonating me? And I'm glad I don't come off as a 🐋. I'll try to spend more than $200 a year for 2024.

I will say, I always get to GC and this season has been my fastest yet, and even made it up to 150 points (normally I just chill at 1-40 points). The whales haven't been killing me with their rosters somehow recently.

And you're a Sinister Six member? Good to know for next month.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 3,564 ★★★★★
    I dunno why there is this F2P vs P2P thing going on right now, the deals for P2P are terrible.
  • Options
    WOLF_LINKWOLF_LINK Posts: 1,366 ★★★★
    Ashacekar said:

I have 2.5 M Loyalty, i m hopeful on buying 4 loyalty bundles on 29th

The Loyalty Selector for 1000 Pts. will most likely cost Units or something else again AND contains tons of Loyalty. They named the other Packs after what you will get as well.

And why will you be able to buy a big chunk of Loyalty? Because they might release the 7* Loyalty Crystal the same day and that one will be expensive.