Mystic champions losing usability? / Too many passives?

LacerosLaceros Member Posts: 106 ★★
Correct me if im wrong but iirc, mystic champions are primarily used for power control, and nullification.

So how is that so many cosmics (with class disadvantage) are somehow immune to power controlling, and if some of their buffs get nullified, they’re simply replaced with a passive?

I swear it seems like kabam is over doing the passive effects these days, to the point where an ability being passive lost its speciality, and kind of became more of an expectation.

I mean their are champs outside of cosmic now who will just replace a buff with a passive if it gets nullified like fant-man, what was the point of it being a buff in the first place?

Not to mention multiple cosmics being immune to the main purpose of mystic champs, it just seems to make no sense these days.

I genuinely believe that pre-2020, kabam used passive effects a lot more sparingly but as said before, it seems like weve come to expect them no matter what.

Comments

• SquirrelguySquirrelguy Member Posts: 2,653 ★★★★★
    General thoughts:
    • Buffs interact negatively with nullify, stagger, etc. But they also play an important positive role for a lot of nodes and abilities that passives don't count for (looking at you buff cornucopia).
    • I'd be more persuaded if you listed more than one example. It has become more common than it used to be, sure. But I certainly would not count passives or immunity to specific types of power control as expected for new champs. For example, Galan has a ton of buffs (not passives) and is immune to fate seal and nullify, but is not immune to neutralize, or to soul barb, or various other ways to punish massive amounds of buffs. He is also immune to power drain, burn, lock, and special lock, but (as far as I am aware) is not immune to abilities that lower power rate, or power steal. The moral of the story is that most champs have clear weaknesses that may not be universally accessible. Or just Herc them.
    • As someone said, Mags flips the script on many tech champs, so the role reversal is not unheard of.
    • Once bleed immunity and poison immunity were a big deal. Then that became less important as the meta widened to encompass many other champion abilities. It still is relevant, but not as massively important as it used to be. These things tend to come in waves. I personally think Kabam has done a fairly good job at making a lot of unique character abilities around the same/similar core mechanics.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,825 ★★★★★
    Polygon said:

Mystic Champs with nullify are falling out except for like a small handful, I’d actually be really sad if i pulled a Sorcerer Supreme from the Titan Crystal

Don't be.

She's incredibly versatile, and the increased Combat Power rating and Champion Rating will do amazing things for her.
  • hi_im_sirhi_im_sir Member Posts: 271 ★★
    Tbh maybe one champ that has a class disadvantage can take most of that class such as magneto against tech. But with cosmics its way too common. Loads of champs like galan, hulkling, adam and now gladiator are tearing mystics apart. Dont get me wrong there are a handful of mystics that can counter these champs but it just seems to defeat the point of having class disadvantages.
  • SearmenisSearmenis Member Posts: 1,584 ★★★★★
    Kabam is moving away from the "one glove fits all" mentality (if the expression is right), and that's good imo. They release 2 new champions every month, after 250 of them, abilities will start to duplicate a lot. Counters to god like abilities are a must for the game to survive, and for players to keep being interested in new champs. And frankly, I like that. If there s a few counters to Doom, or Hercules, or Kitty, more than one I mean, that means giving these god tiers the 7* treatment won t be a game breaking experience, and thus they ll get it sometime soon.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,351 Guardian
    hi_im_sir said:

Tbh maybe one champ that has a class disadvantage can take most of that class such as magneto against tech. But with cosmics its way too common. Loads of champs like galan, hulkling, adam and now gladiator are tearing mystics apart. Dont get me wrong there are a handful of mystics that can counter these champs but it just seems to defeat the point of having class disadvantages.

What part of gladiator is tearing mystics apart? The only thing he has going for him is he is immune to the effects of neutralize. Also BWCV crushes them all ;)

Galan still feeds MD which allows mystics to spam specials against him lowering his mass and hulkling only gets passive on the indestructible and unblockable if they're nullified.

Overall, the mystic class still dominates the cosmic class, and I'm just glad we can't just use 1 mystic champion (except BWCV) to counter the kits of an entire class.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,887 ★★★★★
    Mystic should counter buffs i different ways, not just same old nullify,stagger... Look at mojo, mordo tigra nd bwcv... We need more mystics who punish buff in unique way
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Member Posts: 2,653 ★★★★★
    Pikolu said:

hi_im_sir said:

What part of gladiator is tearing mystics apart? The only thing he has going for him is he is immune to the effects of neutralize. Also BWCV crushes them all ;)

Galan still feeds MD which allows mystics to spam specials against him lowering his mass and hulkling only gets passive on the indestructible and unblockable if they're nullified.

Overall, the mystic class still dominates the cosmic class, and I'm just glad we can't just use 1 mystic champion (except BWCV) to counter the kits of an entire class.
    I feel like people are also forgetting the other part of class advantage: the attack bonus for the attacker and reduction for the defender. Even if you bring in the worst counter, this still has an effect. But also, BWCV for the win.
  • AMS94AMS94 Member Posts: 1,776 ★★★★★
    They just want people to buy newer Mystic champs instead of thrashing everything with Doom
    Same strategy as Mags against Metals