Why morbius is getting void passive burst damage

AvnishAvnish Member Posts: 447 ★★★
In aw I was playing with morbius with decay tactics. But I was getting void passive DOT. Even I have applied 10+ bleed on him. I didn't get it. As per tactics the damge should be avoided. I think this is a bug with void only. Because I killed killmonger, Mysterio, domino. I didn't get any passive damege if there is 3+ bleed on opponent.

If anyone faced the same plz post here you thoughts.

Comments

• AverageDesiAverageDesi Member Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Pikolu said:

Decay doesn't protect you from void damage. Morbius's dupe would allow him to heal some of it back though.

Why not? If it can stop Korg and Attuma thorns and havoks plasma?
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,431 Guardian

Pikolu said:

Decay doesn't protect you from void damage. Morbius's dupe would allow him to heal some of it back though.

Thorns is an instant DoT, voids direct damage is not a DoT.
  • AvnishAvnish Member Posts: 447 ★★★
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Throne, reverberation, even recoil damage is DOT. Then why void damage is not DOT. Void damage is also direct damge as others. This should be a bug. I am not sure who can explain this better.

@Kabam Miike could you please clear the confusion.

• CaptainaidenCaptainaiden Member Posts: 1,035 ★★★★
    Avnish said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Throne, reverberation, even recoil damage is DOT. Then why void damage is not DOT. Void damage is also direct damge as others. This should be a bug. I am not sure who can explain this better.

@Kabam Miike could you please clear the confusion.

Void damage is came from his abilities, not from damage over time. It said for each unique debuff type, the opponent takes certain Direct Damage per second. It's clearly direct damage is not DOT. It almost same with burst damage like hercules and so on

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

There is no such thing as instant damage OVER TIME…
    Eh, semantics. Nightcrawler inflicts instant bleeds and those count as a DoT.
  • CaptainaidenCaptainaiden Member Posts: 1,035 ★★★★
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Eh, semantics. Nightcrawler inflicts instant bleeds and those count as a DoT.
    Same as sam wilson, instant rupture
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Thers nothing as instant damage OVER TIME. . If anything it's void that is done over time.

And no. Nightcrawler is not DOT. It's a bleed and a damaging effect . That's it
  • ZuroZuro Member Posts: 2,846 ★★★★★
    edited November 2023

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Thers nothing as instant damage OVER TIME. . If anything it's void that is done over time.

The thing with void that makes him different is that there is no direct trigger for his damage if that makes sense. All other DOT effects have a direct trigger in this game (hitting electro/attuma, etc.), while for void there is so many different ways to apply debuffs (nodes, synergies, prefights) that it makes it hard to simply categorize it as DOT. Especially considering each unique debuff further increases the damage.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,417 ★★★★★
    edited November 2023
    If this somehow makes sense

I really don't understand how this Void situation doesn't
  • WOLF_LINKWOLF_LINK Member Posts: 1,376 ★★★★
    Just ban Void whenever you see one.
  • Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Member Posts: 1,703 ★★★★★
    WOLF_LINK said:

It's what I do, I can't be bothered dealing with that mess.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,306 ★★★★★
    WOLF_LINK said:

Or use shang chii
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,306 ★★★★★
    Avnish said:

In aw I was playing with morbius with decay tactics. But I was getting void passive DOT. Even I have applied 10+ bleed on him. I didn't get it. As per tactics the damge should be avoided. I think this is a bug with void only. Because I killed killmonger, Mysterio, domino. I didn't get any passive damege if there is 3+ bleed on opponent.

If anyone faced the same plz post here you thoughts.

Because void is king
  • JarvisreiJarvisrei Member Posts: 414 ★★

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

There's even Valk
    I had something weird. I had loads of Debuffs but was still taking damage. Is it possible you need the Debuffs before the dot effect is applied for it to not deal damage?
  • BendyBendy Member Posts: 5,939 ★★★★★

I had something weird. I had loads of Debuffs but was still taking damage. Is it possible you need the Debuffs before the dot effect is applied for it to not deal damage?

Before the dot is applied

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Again semantics. In the game, it is coded as a DoT. You can either accept it, or scream at a brick wall because it is extremely unlikely it'll ever change. Also Mysterios damage reflection is also a DoT 😉
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Again semantics. In the game, it is coded as a DoT. You can either accept it, or scream at a brick wall because it is extremely unlikely it'll ever change. Also Mysterios damage reflection is also a DoT 😉
    I don't think it's semantics but rather a description error. We saw with grandmaster Damage over time was stated in his kit but it meant any damaging effect. The point here isn't whether dot should only apply to dot. That's upto kabam for how clean and intuitive they want their game to be instead of whatever lingual mess they see it become because they can't correct a text error.

But there isn't anything different for Void that doesn't apply to other champions' effects that makes it different. Plenty other champions' do damage according to debuffs. Havok(heavy feedback), MN, and void ottomh. It's either a hit damage or it's not
  • LordSmasherLordSmasher Member Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★
    An effect can be a DOT (incenerate, bleed, feedback, some burst stuff etc) or not a DOT (petrify, stun etc)
    Its the definition of the effect that determines if its a DOT or not, nothing else.
    Decay gives resistance to DOTs.

Now Void is not doing DOTs. You're taking direct damage base on the debuffs on your, regadless if they were DOTs or not.

• Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Member Posts: 1,782 ★★★★

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

I've seen kabam use instant to distinguish it from regular dot.

• DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,423 Guardian

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

You're right, kinda. There is no such thing as instant anything. That's just what things are sometimes called to explain colloquially to players. In actuality there are two kinds of effects: those with duration, and those without duration. Those without duration happen once. Those with duration happen every half second.

Any damaging effect with a duration is described as a damage over time effect. However, any such effect whose duration is less than half a second will only happen once, at activation. It will look like an "instantaneous damage over time effect" because all of its effects happen just once, the moment it triggers. However, that is still technically a damage over time effect.

The difference is more than semantic, when it comes to game mechanics. Damage (or anything else) without a duration just happen. Damage with a duration create an actual Effect on the target, and the damage comes from that Effect that is sticking to them. Or to put it another way, damaging effects without duration come from the attacker and just damage the target. Damaging effects with a duration apply an Effect on the target, and the damage comes from this effect. When the game says something protects from "damage over time" that means, in technical terms, damage coming from these kinds of effects.

Void's intimidating presence damage does not come from a damaging effect. The debuffs do not themselves generate damage. Void simply causes the target to experience damage when they have debuffs. This damage does not come from any debuff, and there is no damaging effect placed on the target. It just ... happens (as far as the players are concerned: there is a more technical explanation, but it isn't helpful here).

My memory may be hazy here, but I seem to recall that way back when Nightcrawler's "instantaneous bleed" was actually described by the developers as a tenth of a second bleed whose duration could not be modified, which emulated an "instant" bleed. In fact, if I recall correctly the whole reason why this even came up in discussion was because originally deep wounds was extending the duration of Nightcrawler's "instant" bleed which was unintentional, thus the need to make its duration unmodifiable, and thus the reason for the discussion in the first place.