Options

How are we feeling about Mysterio these days?

OakenshieldOakenshield Posts: 1,818 ★★★★

I pulled him two weeks ago and duped him today. Outside of HTD - who really needs to be duped to be at full potential - he’s my best Tech. Having checked some videos out there I was impressed with what I saw and I will say he’s done pretty well even as an R1 in BGs and in the 7 for 7 challenges.

I’m starting to think I might R2 him just given his BG viability (both as a defender and as a Domino counter), but I’m not sure I’m ready to use my Tech R2-R3 gem on him yet. Still holding out hope for Shuri or Warlock, who I think most would agree are stronger than Mysterio.

For those of you who use him - are you similarly impressed? For others, what tech champs currently in the 7* pool do you think are better than him? I could potentially make an argument for Lady D if she was awakened, although with her problematic scaling maybe not. I’m a big fan of OG Iron Man, but again feel like he needs to be awakened to really shine. Peni is also strong, but since I’ve got an awakened R4 and I like her heal block abilities to counter NF, I’m not sure I’d rank a 7* version of her ahead of Mysterio. I do admit I’d have a tough time deciding between Mysterio and HTD if my HTD was awakened, but since I’m not likely to get him duped any time soon (my Alliance doesn’t AW so doesn’t generate a lot of loyalty) his value in BGs as a Domino counter isn’t there.

So, when I look at it objectively and from a realistic awakening standpoint, I have a hard time seeing any tech champions better than Mysterio other than Shuri and Warlock.

What do you all think? I know what @Mysterio will think of course.

Comments

• Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,876 ★★★★★
    He is the second best tech after shuri
  • Options
    Jack2634Jack2634 Posts: 805 ★★★
    he is still a great champ . In story quest , with peni synergy , his poison damage will be crazy good. In bg , he is a monster on defense and a solid champ on offense too
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,790 ★★★★★
    His AI is one of the most unpredictable, wonky, nonsense in the game, maybe ever.

For example, random heavy, holding specials, random heavy, back draft intercepts into special, random heavy, 2 hits -hold block- 2 hits -hold block-special use immediately, random heavy, doing stutter blocks, random heavy, will walk instead of dash in from one corner to another just to throw random heavy.
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,876 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

I’m assuming you mean as a 7*, but I’d put HB and Warlock above him
    Unduped warlock no, but duped warlock is indeed better than shuri.
    And subjectively, I like Hulkbuster more than shuri nd warlock, but i feel 7* shuri is more relevant due to necropolis
  • Options

Emilia90 said:

may be warlock but hb is just an attacker while mysterio good in both O and D. warlock's damage is pretty low tbh. and mysterio does domino too.
    I did forget Hulkbuster in my analysis. I agree that on paper Mysterio is stronger given the O and D point. That said, I find HB a lot of fun so would probably rank him just for that reason. I am grinding Incursions because of it, but given the low odds of pulling him and the fact that it will take me another month or two to get there, I may move forward with Mysterio to R2.
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,390 ★★★★
    PT_99 said:

His AI is one of the most unpredictable, wonky, nonsense in the game, maybe ever.

For example, random heavy, holding specials, random heavy, back draft intercepts into special, random heavy, 2 hits -hold block- 2 hits -hold block-special use immediately, random heavy, doing stutter blocks, random heavy, will walk instead of dash in from one corner to another just to throw random heavy.

Sounds like that America Chavez AI
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 2,164 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

Unduped warlock no, but duped warlock is indeed better than shuri.
    And subjectively, I like Hulkbuster more than shuri nd warlock, but i feel 7* shuri is more relevant due to necropolis
    Oh sorry, I wasn’t talking about Shuri. I agree that Shuri is the best tech 7*, I was saying that I’d put HB and Warlock over mysterio
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 694 ★★★★

Emilia90 said:

may be warlock but hb is just an attacker while mysterio good in both O and D. warlock's damage is pretty low tbh. and mysterio does domino too.
    I've actually gotten a couple wins with HB on defense because of the shock, though in general he isn't the best defender.

However, his offensive ability is amazing and regularly gets me wins in BG. I find him fun and made him my first R3
  • Options
    MasterAMasterA Posts: 525 ★★★
    I would do it. Love the champ
  • Options
    FeuerschwerFeuerschwer Posts: 320 ★★
    yeah he’s very good-solid poison damage, L2 power drain can save you from a screwup, and the heal block is really good with the Vision relic.
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,500 ★★★★
    He's still really good but without synergies he needs to get to SP3 for big damage.
  • Options

yeah he’s very good-solid poison damage, L2 power drain can save you from a screwup, and the heal block is really good with the Vision relic.

Yes, conveniently I have the 6* vision relic on him. @Feuerschwer which runes have you found to be most effective on the relic?
  • Options
    FeuerschwerFeuerschwer Posts: 320 ★★
    I only have the 5* but I went with the fury when you Heal Block an active regen and then dot potency for the passive rune; for the 6* I’d probably also use increased heal block duration, to make it easier to keep the heal block on permanently.
  • Options
    MasterSmokeMasterSmoke Posts: 552 ★★★

No regrets here. After watching some R3 unduped gameplay footage on Mysterio i took mine to R3 with the gem.
  • Options

I only have the 5* but I went with the fury when you Heal Block an active regen and then dot potency for the passive rune; for the 6* I’d probably also use increased heal block duration, to make it easier to keep the heal block on permanently.

Yes - those were the three I went with (fury, increased dot, increased heal block duration). Figured those were the best. Thanks!
  • Options

No regrets here. After watching some R3 unduped gameplay footage on Mysterio i took mine to R3 with the gem.

Thanks. I definitely think I’m going to take him to R2. If this was my final rank up for Valiant I’d probably go all the way to R3. However, since I still need another one I’ll probably hold off on R3 in case Shuri or Warlock decide to make an appearance.
  • Options
    TherunekingTheruneking Posts: 198 ★★
    I feel mysterious.