**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

In your opinion, did Valiant shift the reasoning behind R4/5ing 6*s within the last month or two?

jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,037 ★★★
These are just my observations from watching some more recent Youtube vids, so feel free to share your own thoughts on the matter.

With the Valiant title came the ability to get a guaranteed 6* in any pre-release bundle moving forward. Outside of just those new champs, I've noticed that more of the competitive players still seem to be investing resources into r4 and r5'ing some of their 6*s. And I'm not talking using gems, but using the raw catalysts required for these rankups.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I for one was one of the people when 7*s released who felt it was a bit too fast and that 6*s still held relativity, but a lot of people instantly seemed to focus on 7*s. They had their established group of 6r4 and 6r5s up to that point and were moving towards the future of the game.

So, is it simply for BG purposes, or are people just comfortable with uisng raw resources again to rank their 6*s, even if they don't actively "put that out"? I know I have a couple champs I'd really like to take to R5 and ascend, but I'm still waiting until I seee which champs are attained at the start of February, because there are some 7*s I'd rather use the raw materials on than the 6*s, regardless of how unlikely they are to be 7*s in the near future.

What do y'all think?

Comments

• Options
    Pikolu said:

A lot of the people I talk with stopped using class cats on r5 6* once they saw how strong r2 7*s are. We also get r5 gems occasionally, so for most top players, it is better to r2 7*s with your t6cc instead of ranking the 6*s with them. Especially with how stingy kabam is with t6cc still.

Oh I agree, that’s why it was surprising me that people were still using catalysts on some of these older 6*s that aren’t your typical “top heavy” champs. I imagine it’s either a niche BG/War decision, or their best 7* options are already ranked as far as they can go.

Myself, I currently only have 2 left that I’d really probably spend the raw catalysts on, and that’s Fury and Hulkling. Otherwise, I’d prefer to just r2 my 7*s, even if they may not be a ‘better’ choice (my r1 awakened Falcon to r2, over 6r5 Fury for example).
  • Options
    Ragnarok13Ragnarok13 Posts: 48
    I don’t get t6cc very easily at this point so until that changes i will be using cats for 7*s only
  • Options
    Herbal_TaxmanHerbal_Taxman Posts: 113 ★★
    The biggest difference in my thinking as a valiant player is the valiant daily crystal. T6B and T3A are plentiful, and you also get solid t6cc. More resources to go around means it’s less of a dilemma about r5 vs r2. It also helps that a lot of valiant players have picked up several 1-2 gems recently, which also frees up raw cats. Final factor is the high amount of t2 dust floating around. Most of my ascensions have been done with dust about to expire. But ascension is really good, so it also has led to more r5s.
  • Options

The biggest difference in my thinking as a valiant player is the valiant daily crystal. T6B and T3A are plentiful, and you also get solid t6cc. More resources to go around means it’s less of a dilemma about r5 vs r2. It also helps that a lot of valiant players have picked up several 1-2 gems recently, which also frees up raw cats. Final factor is the high amount of t2 dust floating around. Most of my ascensions have been done with dust about to expire. But ascension is really good, so it also has led to more r5s.

That's a good take on it. I hadn't even really considered the Valiant daily, as that wasn't a thing during the time between 7* release and when Necro came out. I think that easier acquisition method of R5/R2 materials has, as you said, alleviated the dilemma a bit of "Do I r5 this 6*, or save and form 1 more catalyst to r2 this 7*?"

Theere's no telling how the game economy will change getting closer to 8.4 and the 100% of Act 8, but I think another factor could be related to how things like Banquet was handled for more seasoned players, and the realization that they're still keeping a somewhat tight leash on Titan shards (and large quantities of 7* shards, to an extent) for the time being, so it may be more helpful to your account to just r5/ascend that champ you've been eyeing instead of knowing for certain you could get something better in the immediate future (I'm talking 1-2 weeks tiemframe), since there's no guarantee of that.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    I'm not Valiant yet, but I think differently. It really all depends on what I'm working on. T6CC is scarce, but a Sig 200 Ascended 6* is more tempting than an Unduped, or a Sig 20+, 7*. I feel like things are shifting, but not fast enough for me to give up on 6*s. I would be concerned if they were at this stage.
  • Options
    edited January 19

I'm not Valiant yet, but I think differently. It really all depends on what I'm working on. T6CC is scarce, but a Sig 200 Ascended 6* is more tempting than an Unduped, or a Sig 20+, 7*. I feel like things are shifting, but not fast enough for me to give up on 6*s. I would be concerned if they were at this stage.

Oh for sure. A max sig 6* getting r5, or ascended, or even BOTH is definitely tempting for certain champions, even as a Valiant. I guess the main, underlying question of my entire post was "When did we decide to start using raw T6CC and T6B/T3A for r5s again? :D " when it seems majority of more endgame players had decided on just using gems from now on (4-5 gems we didn't get in Banquet, mind you) because the resources were better spent on 7*s and the future. I'm just more surprised is all when I see some of these rankup vids from...more 'known' figures in the community.

But, @Herbal_Taxman pretty much answered that with the Valiant daily, Valiant login card, etc..which I actually didn't consider in my original post, but makes total sense.
  • Options
    KlippKlipp Posts: 193 ★★
    I refuse to rank up a 6*to r5 without a gem. My big material goes to the 7*s I have. I will take champs to r4 but I'm picky about it and I ascend champs I will eventually r5.
  • Options
    OakenshieldOakenshield Posts: 1,694 ★★★★
    I only became Valiant yesterday, but my thinking over the past few months has already been that I prioritize 7* R2s first. After that I look at champs that I’m pretty certain won’t be coming to the 7* pool any time soon (Herc, Doom, etc) as well as champs that require high or max sig to really shine.

I may get more relaxed about 6* R4/R5 if T6B/T3A/T6CC is as much easier to obtain via the Paragon daily as folks say it is. I just don’t have enough personal experience yet to say that is the case.
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,987 ★★★★★
    Hey guys I have a similar issue.

I have a r2 venom, and 6* r4 ascended hercules.
    I have 3 t6 cosmic catalyst. I also have a 6* 4-5 generic gem.
    Since 7* cosmic roster is mid, and I only have duped gorr as other good 7* cosmic, and as a 6* I have hulkling and galan.

The question is, Should I use 4-5 gen on hercules and rank up 7* gorr, Or should I use 4-5 gem on some other 6* in future, and use catalyst to rank up hercules?

Plz help.
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,689 ★★★★★
    edited January 19
    I'm still in the 6* sig 200 is useful camp, for the champs that need high sig.

Having said that, I don't do rankups at all unless I need it for something, which is why a 1/1 unduped Aegon was 4/55 sig180 in one hit for necro, then 5/65 ascended a week later.

When my 7* roster gets better, I will shift focus.
  • Options
    SammyDeSammyDe Posts: 902 ★★★
    Streamers and top alliances are usually spenders, so they already have a very stacked account. Rank 5 for them is usually for the latest meta especially when they could pull them as 7* yet.
    Normal people will just have to save up the mats slowly.
    The influx of rank up mats for valiant also mean they have to use them before they expire. So rank up these 6* has never been easier.
  • Options
    Depends on what level you are playing at.
    in higher level alliance war, the right ascended r5 6* is still very very valuable.
    In higher level BGs, the right r5 6* ascended champ is still very valuable.
    it totally depends on the gamemodes you focus on.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,221 ★★★★★

Hey guys I have a similar issue.

I have a r2 venom, and 6* r4 ascended hercules.
    I have 3 t6 cosmic catalyst. I also have a 6* 4-5 generic gem.
    Since 7* cosmic roster is mid, and I only have duped gorr as other good 7* cosmic, and as a 6* I have hulkling and galan.

The question is, Should I use 4-5 gen on hercules and rank up 7* gorr, Or should I use 4-5 gem on some other 6* in future, and use catalyst to rank up hercules?

Plz help.

Cats for herc. And even hulkling.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    For me, I've only r5'd two 6* champs with cats: Onslaught because I already have Domino and Bishop at r2 and Kate Bishop as I already have Killmonger and Mantis at r2.

I currently have 4 t6cc in Cosmic/Mutant/Science and Mystic but am waiting for 7* champs.
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,836 ★★★★★
    edited January 19
    I would rather r5 a champ like Hulkling and maybe Herc over 90% of the cosmic 7* class. Same with FAM over most techs.

Exceptions to this for classes with many good 7* options are champs like Photon and Onslaught.
  • Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 773 ★★★★

I think this is overhyped tbh. Been valiant since 3 or 4 day after Necro. I'm not swimming in T6B or T3A.
  • Options

For me, I've only r5'd two 6* champs with cats: Onslaught because I already have Domino and Bishop at r2 and Kate Bishop as I already have Killmonger and Mantis at r2.

I currently have 4 t6cc in Cosmic/Mutant/Science and Mystic but am waiting for 7* champs.

Same, except swap Mutant for Skill in my case. Along with a few 1-2 gems. I assume you’re waiting for the February rotation as well?
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,739 ★★★★★
    There used to be a "rule" to follow back in the day with this type of transitions...
    Only R5 champs that need and you own with max sig; also ascensions changed the way a lot.
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,537 ★★★★★
    I've stopped ranking up 6s to r4 or 5 because I don't want to use 7 resources unless I'm using them for necro.

And I'm not taking up 7s because I don't want to get to a place where I can't r2 someone that I can r3 with a gem for valiant - again, except Shuri for necro.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,739 ★★★★★
    Btw didn't change anything on the valiant thing.. its not like 6* take t4a...