Options

Titan Shard Acquisition is too Slow

BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Posts: 1,595 ★★★★★
Just looking at the community reaction and multiple posts expressing frustration… it seems like this commodity is too rare at the time being. It takes months to acquire shards for 1-2 shots at a new champ and if RNG isn’t on your favor you’ll walk away with an older one. These older champs aren’t bad by any stretch but they aren’t the “new” toys you are looking for either. I think one way to alleviate this frustration would be to increase the trickle of Titan shards to Valiant players to average out to one crystal a month and Paragon players to 0.75 crystals a month.

More shots at a new champ might lessen the anxiety of a miss if you know the next shot is coming in a reasonable time frame.

Comments

• Options
    AshacekarAshacekar Posts: 1,819 ★★★★
    edited February 7
    I have just opened 1 so far. Currently at 12.5k odd shards. Last time i got Lady D, so i will get a guaranteed new whenever next opening happens. I m fine to get 2 titans per year. I don't want Gladiator or Jabari dupes like the folks opening it frequently.

Also looking at reward structure, the target for titan shards currently seems to be Valiant.
  • Options
    SamanunSamanun Posts: 630 ★★★
    Yeah i get to open only 1 then the pool changes
  • Options
    RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,427 ★★★★★
    Duping 7* gives titan shards and we all know doing high tier war along with high tier BG is the source of titan shards
  • Options

Also: 0.75 Titans per month for Paragon? Serious?

In a normal month a paragon player barely gets half of a normal 7* crystal…

3k from Paragon Gauntlet, 3k usually from SQ, and a little bit from incursions. Anything on top of that is a bonus…

That’s just not accurate if you are including all sources, like BGs, AW and AQ. Still I think you missed the point based on your other post on this thread. Where you claim not to care about how long it takes but in the same breath lament that it took that long to pull an unduped Thing.

I’m a Valliant, so no skin off my nose if you want less. But my main point is that if the Titan crystal is really the main access method for newer champs outside of Unit-Gone (Paragon) Crystals that the current trickle of shards isn’t really satisfying that need and has created a very uneven acquisition cadence where even pulling a good champ like Thing or Colossus feels like a Groot punch to the gut.
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,330 ★★★★★
    BigBlueOx said:

3k from Paragon Gauntlet, 3k usually from SQ, and a little bit from incursions. Anything on top of that is a bonus…

That’s just not accurate if you are including all sources, like BGs, AW and AQ. Still I think you missed the point based on your other post on this thread. Where you claim not to care about how long it takes but in the same breath lament that it took that long to pull an unduped Thing.

I’m a Valliant, so no skin off my nose if you want less. But my main point is that if the Titan crystal is really the main access method for newer champs outside of Unit-Gone (Paragon) Crystals that the current trickle of shards isn’t really satisfying that need and has created a very uneven acquisition cadence where even pulling a good champ like Thing or Colossus feels like a Groot punch to the gut.
    Alternative would be to keep it a premium material but at least keep it so the champ pool includes champs released in the last year or so. There will be few duds in it but it will mostly be champs that few people have in their rosters so it’s not a total waste.
    Colossus, spider ham and crossbones have been my 3 titan pulls so far so I understand the pain.
  • Options
    Graves_3 said:

BigBlueOx said:

Alternative would be to keep it a premium material but at least keep it so the champ pool includes champs released in the last year or so. There will be few duds in it but it will mostly be champs that few people have in their rosters so it’s not a total waste.
    Colossus, spider ham and crossbones have been my 3 titan pulls so far so I understand the pain.
    That would be a logical alternative too, but Jax did restate that new champ acquisition isn’t the primary goal of a Titan Crystal so that would go against the stated targets of the crystal. That’s why my recommendation would be to increase acquisition rates at this point.
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 1,385 ★★★★
    Too slow and too few in between. 1,000 Titan shards offered here and there is trash when it takes 20,000 to fully form a crystal. Imagine getting a thousand Titan shards as a reward, then realizing you only have 19,000 more to go 😅🙃

And then you have to factor in the gamble you're taking and the odds of getting a champ you want. That alone could be pretty abyssmal if RNG is a hater lol.

I don't expect to get them at the rate as we get 6* shards, but it would be nice if the quantity, availibilty, and pace was increased a little bit 🤏🏽 I think we should be able to open at least 2 per month. That should keep titan acquisition interesting and better our chances of getting who we want.

If not, then might as well lose the titan hype, and wait until the champ hits the basic.

• Options
    I’d rather just get 7* shards when duping 7*.
  • Options

Too slow and too few in between. 1,000 Titan shards offered here and there is trash when it takes 20,000 to fully form a crystal. Imagine getting a thousand Titan shards as a reward, then realizing you only have 19,000 more to go 😅🙃

And then you have to factor in the gamble you're taking and the odds of getting a champ you want. That alone could be pretty abyssmal if RNG is a hater lol.

I don't expect to get them at the rate as we get 6* shards, but it would be nice if the quantity, availibilty, and pace was increased a little bit 🤏🏽 I think we should be able to open at least 2 per month. That should keep titan acquisition interesting and better our chances of getting who we want.

If not, then might as well lose the titan hype, and wait until the champ hits the basic.

Honestly… you have a point, hoarding basic 7star shards until the new champ you want hits the basic might have better odds.
  • Options
    Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,536 ★★★★★
    More titan shard acquisition means more more frequent posts from people complaining about pulling a bad champ in their opinion. I don't need to see more of those. It was the same with 6* shards when they were introduced and the regular 7* shards.

I am somewhat ok with the current acquisition time. The one change I would make is to have a few thousand titan shards for the paragon gauntlet. That's an additional 2k a month, which is reasonable but not game breaking by any means.
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,564 ★★★★★
    Who is even disagreeing with this thread? Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk of mcoc who spend between five to six figures on the game a year?
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,078 ★★★★★
    If you want the stash, spend the cash. That's pretty much what it comes down to. I'm ok with whales getting what whales get. They spent so good on them. I'm cool with the fact that my play style doesn't get me multiple Titan crystals a year to show off.
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 2,012 ★★★★★

More titan shard acquisition means more more frequent posts from people complaining about pulling a bad champ in their opinion. I don't need to see more of those. It was the same with 6* shards when they were introduced and the regular 7* shards.

I am somewhat ok with the current acquisition time. The one change I would make is to have a few thousand titan shards for the paragon gauntlet. That's an additional 2k a month, which is reasonable but not game breaking by any means.

I mean…more shots at a Titan crystal for valiant tier players would mean less complaints. Right now titans are incredibly rare, so when people save them for months and open a Jabari, they feel crushed. I do think there should be more shards here and there tbh

I open 7* basics pretty regularly, so when I end up pulling VtD, I’m not completely destroyed because I know I can form another one soon. I’m not saying titans should be that frequent (because they definitely shouldn’t) but there should be more ways

Thankfully the Winter of Woe is offering a Titan to valiant tier players so I’m happy
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 1,385 ★★★★
    BigBlueOx said:

Honestly… you have a point, hoarding basic 7star shards until the new champ you want hits the basic might have better odds.
    Also we get more basic shards and faster. If we pull a dud, it might not be that big of a deal since we can get more shards in half the time it takes to get titans
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,516 ★★★★★
    They are available in crystals for free the day they are in arenas and available for cash as a prerelease a about a week before that.
  • Options
    Bigfoot33Bigfoot33 Posts: 153 ★★
    altavista said:

Duping 7* gives titan shards and we all know doing high tier war along with high tier BG is the source of titan shards

Most Paragon/Valiant players are not in high tier AW or high tier BG, and so do not obtain Titan shards regularly.

Regular play does not give out enough 7-star shards to make duping a viable route of obtaining enough to open a Titan crystal. 600 shards a dupe is only 3% of one Titan crystal. Your normal player is not going to be acquiring enough 7-star shards to open 33+ 7-star crystals, have all 33 be dupes, just to open 1 Titan crystal.

What this essentially boils down to is that Whales/High tier Competitive players get a 6 month early access to New Champions, while FTP have to wait 6 months for the champion to come to basic (they may have one shot at a new champion in the 6 month period if they manage to get enough Titan shards).

Instead of having the choice to hoard crystals for more shots at a featured, normal players can't increase the number of chances at getting a new champion.

Essentially, Titan crystals just is a shiny paywall that Kabam has created to try to get players to spend more on offers, or spend more to reach higher tiers in competitive modes.
    Yup, the reason they created a separate shard than just collecting additional 7-Star shards.
  • Options
    jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,095 ★★★
    edited February 7
    Emilia90 said:

Thankfully the Winter of Woe is offering a Titan to valiant tier players so I’m happy

And this is great, but it's also after 2 months worth of content you've had to land nearly every objective for. I'm currently at 2k-ish Titan shards right now. I bet I probably still won't have formed another one through duplicate means by the time I get the final WOW rewards, and guess what, 2 months means another rotation of Titan has already happened, and halfway to ANOTHER rotation.

I'm sure 8.4 and Act 8 100% will offer something, but as of now, my current next Titan as a Valiant is only after WOW. And I'm sure the same could be said from numeorus other players.

• Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,096 ★★★★★
    I’m cool with the Titan/Basic split. I like not having to decide between opening basics or going for a costlier featured pool. It’s one less cost/benefit analysis I have to go through, and I like that.

As for acquisition rate of titans, I think what needs to be considered are two numbers (each considered from both the paragon and valiant perspective):

1) for an average player who completes all monthly/story content, how many Titan crystals can they open of a specific pool, assuming they start from 0 shards at the beginning of the cycle?
    2) for that same player, if they were to be targeting a specific champion, how many Titan crystals could they open before that champion rotates out of the Titan pool and into the basic?

Kabam has stated they are trying to give players more agency in how they acquire 7* champions, so these numbers would be indicative of whether they are succeeding in that goal.

For reference, I’ve opened a total of 4, having completed/explored all relevant permanent content and participating in high tier alliance war but largely skipping BGs.
  • Options
    UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Posts: 1,101 ★★★★
    Yeah say if at my current rate I average 2 a year (took me this long to get enough to open my first one yesterday).

One of two things *should* change:

1. The frequency doubles - four a year is still next to nothing but certainly better than waiting 6 months for a Colossus or Jabari Panther.

2. The pool changes - to only include the cream of the crop characters. This sounds like it would be the better option (it would) but it also sounds harder for the game team to develop. Because these champs start in the Titan pool and eventually go to the basic, they can't *only* give us the best of the best in the Titan.

While I'd like that to be the case, I think both in Kabam's thinking and in the game economy, making Titan shards more available sounds like the more logical solution.