Options

Why battlegrounds is still unpopular in one photo

TP33TP33 Posts: 1,601 ★★★★

This happens every season, push up to somewhere around diamond 1/2, then get matched against accounts with double the team rating as me, all R5 sig 200 champs with 4/5 R3 7*s mixed in.

The majority of summoners have this same experience, the matchmaking is straight up unbalanced, close games barely exist and as a result people don’t bother playing any more.

My plan now is to wait 2/3 weeks until all the better players end up in GC, then play at the end of the season when most of my matchups will be significantly worse than me. I do this because it’s the only way for me to make progress into vibranium, it works pretty well every season, and I know that all it does is make the problem worse, but what will you have me do? Not play at all, miss out on the great rewards?

When battlegrounds first came out this was a huge problem, and it’s been mitigated by introducing 2 points for a win 1 lost below plat, and seeding everyone at the start of the season. But these changes have no impact on plat, diamond, and vibranium, and we are really feeling it.

Battlegrounds is meant to be competitive and reward the biggest and highest skilled players for being the best. But summoner interest in the game mode falls season on season and the number of games people are playing per season is reducing. Simply introducing the 2/1 point mechanic into the whole of the victory track will see a huge increase in people playing and caring again about battlegrounds. It would allow kabam to put chase rewards (deathless champ pieces for example) in the highest ranks of VT again, and generally open up the game mode to those who don’t have hours a day to grind in the hopes of getting 4K tokens.

GC shouldnt be changed, the ranked system there should be competitive, and people should start to face bottlenecks there in accordance to their roster size and skill, but locking people in the victory track when clearly the intention is that the GC is where real tactical skilled gameplay is most rewarded.

Comments

• Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,408 ★★★★★
    Congratulations, you have reached your LIMIT.
    Now you have 3 options, that's right 3.

1. Improve your roaster by Necro 100% Act-8 100% or money
    2. Improve your skill by understanding meta and imitating the plays of MSD and Beroman in BG.
    3. Keep making forum posts.

But I agree about 2/1 tokens, at least till Vibranium, that'll solve many complain threads.
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,493 ★★★★
    TP33 said:

The majority of summoners have this same experience, the matchmaking is straight up unbalanced, close games barely exist and as a result people don’t bother playing any more.

This is just mathematically false. At most 50% do. For every unskilled player blaming everyone and everything but their own abilities there is someone playing you just smiling and going through the motions because they don't have to try very hard to beat you.
  • Options
    DawsManDawsMan Posts: 2,165 ★★★★★
    Get two wins, victory shield, rank up
  • Options
    Marcus_TBDMarcus_TBD Posts: 31
    As someone who normally gets out of victory track day 1-2 i feel what most players dont realize is since everyone who finishes GC is reset at plat 1 your not only facing randoms you're facing top players. If the game team decided to make it so if you finish M3 or higher you start in diamond 1 or vibranium it would allow for people to somewhat face equAL Matches. another benefit would be making it so that people who finish in lower teirs wouldnt struggle as much and by the time they got to diamond 1 the good players would already be fighting in gc
  • Options
    Trek26Trek26 Posts: 170 ★★
    TP33 said:

This happens every season, push up to somewhere around diamond 1/2, then get matched against accounts with double the team rating as me

Don't worry, in a couple of days I'll catch up to you if you keep slipping like this and you'll be mad at my R3s and R5 ascended 😂 don't worry though, I'm just a 5mil f2p account in diamond 4 that just plays for the tokens every two days.
  • Options

I’m lower level account but I only lost 3 time
  • Options
    OpandemonioOpandemonio Posts: 1,205 ★★★★

So the problem with BGs is that it's a competition?

Is that because THEY lose than is a problem for everyone.... Sigh
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,004 ★★★★
    @Charliejiggens is that you?
  • Options
    OpandemonioOpandemonio Posts: 1,205 ★★★★

So the problem with BGs is that it's a competition?

Is that because THEY lose than is a problem for everyone.... Sigh
    *then*
    Damn it.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,699 Guardian
    TP33 said:

Battlegrounds is meant to be competitive and reward the biggest and highest skilled players for being the best. But summoner interest in the game mode falls season on season and the number of games people are playing per season is reducing.

Actually, that does not appear to be true. Based on my analysis of solo leaderboards, a similar number of players are still playing Battlegrounds. And based on my analysis of the GC leaderboard, while the number of players that are getting into GC is much lower than it was at the peak (when Kabam added the extra milestones) it is not too far below the overall average discounting those two seasons.

What does seem to be true is that in general, players are playing fewer matches on average over the entire season, and those matches have been shifted towards the end of the season.

I believe any changes Kabam contemplates to VT should focus on enhancing incentives to participate earlier, and in a more sustained fashion. But radically changing VT at the expense of eliminating the actual competitive elements of it would cause more damage to the mode than it would be worth in the long run. You could argue those milestone boosts to rewards in two seasons did more damage than good, as it created artificially high expectations and created burnout, and the fall out from those two things caused participation density to drop in a reinforcing way.
    TP33 said:

Simply introducing the 2/1 point mechanic into the whole of the victory track will see a huge increase in people playing and caring again about battlegrounds. It would allow kabam to put chase rewards (deathless champ pieces for example) in the highest ranks of VT again, and generally open up the game mode to those who don’t have hours a day to grind in the hopes of getting 4K tokens.

What would that accomplish? That's a rhetorical question. The objective of such a scoring system would be to allow you to get to GC much easier. That's it. So why do you think Kabam only instituted it in the lower VT tiers? Because it would allow you to get to GC much easier.

If the only way to make BG popular is to allow everyone to get into GC easier, there's no point in it existing at all. It should exist for the players who actually want to compete, who are not only willing to win, but also willing to lose. If the problem to you is progress must be guaranteed, if failure is only for other people, then either the mode is not for you, or it was a mistake to introduce it in the first place. And of the two possibilities, I'm inclined to believe it is the former, because the players who are willing to expose themselves to a real competition deserve the mode whether the people who can't accept it are willing to accept it or not.

I'm not saying VT is perfect. I myself have ideas about it that differ from what Kabam has implemented. But the standard for judging it cannot be "I'm not winning often enough." If that's the standard, its hopeless. There's no way to make a real competition where everyone gets to decide what they deserve to get from their effort.
  • Options
    YASHNPYASHNP Posts: 47
    It blows my mind that people will be against fair matchmaking in a PvP mode. Every competitive PvP game has it. They have casual lobbies too where ranks don't matter but the competitive scene will always have fair matchmaking.
    Someone literally said its unfair for whales to fight each other and be stuck in VT while smaller accounts can get to GC. Ofcourse whales have to fight each other to prove their 'skills'. A player with max 3*s rightfully deserves to be in GC if he defeats every player whos fighting with max 3*s. Skills would be decided by your competition not your roster size.
    A player with big roster shouldn't get a free pass to the higher ranks. It should be a cutthroat competition to prove your skills since the first fight of the season. It is one mode where pay2win model wouldn't be able to interfere with the fun but kabam did manage to make it just that "bigger roster deserves better rewards".
    I have not seen a single well put logic to not have fair matchmaking at every level. I don't spend a lot of time here. You can tag the threads where you read one.
  • Options
    YASHNPYASHNP Posts: 47
    edited April 15
    A csgo analogy.
    Virtus pro and Nip ruled the csgo scene for years but got absolutely destroyed by teens in the later stage of their career. Those teens where better at the games in every sense even though had played it for far lesser time. They had spent less time at each map still had better understanding of it. There aim was better than them but that could be the age. Their coordination was better and more.
    If my fellow commenters where at the place of virtus pro or NiP what would they have done? Complained to valve to not allow them to enter the major competition as they have not spent enough time on the game.

We as a community took 4-5 years to learn how to reparry even though it existed since the beginning. A new comer whos interested in the game can learn it the first day. This game is not that difficult to learn. Everyone you're calling out for "skill issue" might beat you if both have the same roster.
    Peace
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,251 ★★★★★
    Except this game maintains itself, at least partially, on people acquiring and ranking up champions.
  • Options
    RicoShayRicoShay Posts: 222 ★★
    It's a competitive mode. In order to be competitive you need to have both skill and roster. Heaven forbid it if a new uncollected player could push in Bg's because it'd be fair for them to go against other small accounts . Same applies to War. As the season progresses the distribution of players evens out and then by end of season you are where you are meant to be.
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 690 ★★★★
    YASHNP said:

It blows my mind that people will be against fair matchmaking in a PvP mode. Every competitive PvP game has it. They have casual lobbies too where ranks don't matter but the competitive scene will always have fair matchmaking.
    Someone literally said its unfair for whales to fight each other and be stuck in VT while smaller accounts can get to GC. Ofcourse whales have to fight each other to prove their 'skills'. A player with max 3*s rightfully deserves to be in GC if he defeats every player whos fighting with max 3*s. Skills would be decided by your competition not your roster size.
    A player with big roster shouldn't get a free pass to the higher ranks. It should be a cutthroat competition to prove your skills since the first fight of the season. It is one mode where pay2win model wouldn't be able to interfere with the fun but kabam did manage to make it just that "bigger roster deserves better rewards".
    I have not seen a single well put logic to not have fair matchmaking at every level. I don't spend a lot of time here. You can tag the threads where you read one.

Except that there is a noticeable difference in Cav-v-Cav with smaller rosters than Paragon+ with the latest and greatest.

In past seasons where matchmaking was different, I had also used a smaller Alt for fun. My experience (and other people's too based on forum posts at the time) was that my smaller account had a significantly easier time moving up the tiers.

When smaller accounts face off, they don't have to deal with having the most optimal counters; often times having more knowledge (like not using Nimrod on Bishop) was enough to win. At higher levels, I'm facing more people who know the intricacies of what works or not.