coolest mechanics/ abilities that champions pioneered!

ClatoniusClatonius Member Posts: 215 ★★
I will go first! mordo's sp2 time warp. tigra's miss ability which added a whole new dimension to the game where u now gotta know which hits are non-contact to master her.

Comments

• captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,091 ★★★★★
    Perfect release mechanism, Howard the duck's mechanism, Gladiator's kit where the main damage is done by dashing towards specials.
  • 13579rebel_13579rebel_ Member Posts: 2,723 ★★★★★
    Arcade's UI
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,287 ★★★★★
    edited June 21
    Kraven’s trap root mechanic

IHulk’s immortality

Hercules and everything
  • willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Member Posts: 4,132 ★★★★★
    Silk's rotation of incorporating relics.
  • Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Member Posts: 930 ★★★★

Perfect release mechanism, Howard the duck's mechanism, Gladiator's kit where the main damage is done by dashing towards specials.

Agreed on the perfect release. Those "mini" games in a fight can make it possibly a bit more stressful, but super fun & obviously rewarding
  • RiryokuRiryoku Member Posts: 46
    I don't know which champion was the first to implement this mechanic, but my favorite would be champions that don't benefit from a mastery but receive some benefit in exchange. Like Silk or Prowler who don't benefit from dexterity/collar tech respectively but receive critical rating/critical damage or Kushala who in exchange for MD receives power on buff activation instead of expiration.
  • OdachiOdachi Member Posts: 1,110 ★★★★
    Shang chi and his different combos
  • willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Member Posts: 4,132 ★★★★★
    Riryoku said:

I don't know which champion was the first to implement this mechanic, but my favorite would be champions that don't benefit from a mastery but receive some benefit in exchange. Like Silk or Prowler who don't benefit from dexterity/collar tech respectively but receive critical rating/critical damage or Kushala who in exchange for MD receives power on buff activation instead of expiration.

I have a r3 Silk and somehow I never knew nor figured out that she doesn't benefit from Dex.
  • 11993451199345 Member Posts: 535 ★★★
    G99 Digi-Cloak...

Also, her sp3 being an insta-ko if the opponent is at or below 5% health, reguardless of the size of their remaining health pool
    edited June 22

Hulk ragnarok, was the first of its kind to be able to regenerate passive damage such as limbo, aura of incineration, various degeneration etc... I have always been a fan of this mechanic at the time, and I have always considered it a good investment for the future as I imagined that over time more and more nodes and characters with passive damage abilities would come out.

I’m hoping he gets a buff soon cause his damage isn’t that good. Make him more like OG Hulk

Riryoku said:

I have a r3 Silk and somehow I never knew nor figured out that she doesn't benefit from Dex.
    I think she’s the only one who has that. But there are champs who cannot be struck when dashing back, such as Nightcrawler
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Member Posts: 4,768 ★★★★★
    Everyone loved these interaction when they were introduced:

Icemam coldsnap doing damage at the start of the fight.
    Medusa modok auto block
    Dormammu's degen
    Mephisto aura
    Black widow 3% evade
    Electro thorns
    Magiks limbo
    Elsa with recoils on D
    Domino crit fail
    Peni removing all true abilities
    Killer instinct
    Etcetera etcetera
    Loved every part of it.

And my personal favourite ❤️❤️❤️:
    Turning off will power. Absolute W.

• PriyabrataPriyabrata Member Posts: 1,237 ★★★★
    edited June 22
    Photon introduced the concept of champs being able to completely shut down basic masteries like dexterity and Will power.

If you wanna be really really accurate about it you can say heimdall's sp2 also shuts down Dex but it's easy to avoid unlike photon

• Average_DesiAverage_Desi Member Posts: 484 ★★★

Photon introduced the concept of champs being able to completely shut down basic masteries like dexterity and Will power.

If you wanna be really really accurate about it you can say heimdall's sp2 also shuts down Dex but it's easy to avoid unlike photon

Void could shut down dexterity. So could domino. It's not a novel concept at all
  • Sachhyam257Sachhyam257 Member Posts: 1,171 ★★★★

My favourite cool ability, which is so cool it's subsequently evolved into similar abilities for other champions is Elsa's Evade-and-counter on a well-timed block.

It was one of the first abilities giving you a really specific 'opening mechanic', and has been adapted over time for champs such as Kate Bishop, Mister Negative, Spider-Ham and Bullseye.

Going back even further for an honourable mention: Agent Venom had the first shrug-off mechanic in the game, which has now come to be the almost definitive Skill ability.

Yesss. Elsa's evade is so based, it's honestly one of those mechanics that will remain timeless. It's been given to 3 new champs this year: bullseye, negasonic, and punk. So good.

I'd like to throw in Purg with her ability to power drain herself with her second medium. Allows her to throw sp2s even after getting to 3 bars. It's such a nice qol feature to be able to have more control over specials. It's got an even better iteration on FAM.

My favourite cool ability, which is so cool it's subsequently evolved into similar abilities for other champions is Elsa's Evade-and-counter on a well-timed block.

It was one of the first abilities giving you a really specific 'opening mechanic', and has been adapted over time for champs such as Kate Bishop, Mister Negative, Spider-Ham and Bullseye.

Going back even further for an honourable mention: Agent Venom had the first shrug-off mechanic in the game, which has now come to be the almost definitive Skill ability.

Yesss. Elsa's evade is so based, it's honestly one of those mechanics that will remain timeless. It's been given to 3 new champs this year: bullseye, negasonic, and punk. So good.

I'd like to throw in Purg with her ability to power drain herself with her second medium. Allows her to throw sp2s even after getting to 3 bars. It's such a nice qol feature to be able to have more control over specials. It's got an even better iteration on FAM.
    Don't forget the og self power drain champ is blade.
  • Sachhyam257Sachhyam257 Member Posts: 1,171 ★★★★

Don't forget the og self power drain champ is blade.
    I'd appreciate if you let me forget about him 💀
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,734 ★★★★★
    edited June 22
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Photon is the first to have Unblockable AND Undexable specials? And she's the first to go Untouchable when parried and stunned.

Onsluaght and his Neuroshocks...(give it a few years before another champ has this ability lol)

Rintrah and his ruptures.

Magneto, OG Storm, Sunspot, Bishop's Prowess. Specifically Storm and Susnpots crazy nuke damage from their Sp 2 when they have Prowess buff.

And for those who have been playing since the beginning of the game, is CMM is first to have an Indestructible buff? Asking because I've seen it on other champs like Herc, Hulkling, Jessica Jones, ...but they all came after her. There's only a few champs who have it in their kit.
    edited June 22

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Photon is the first to have Unblockable AND Undexable specials? And she's the first to go Untouchable when parried and stunned.

Onsluaght and his Neuroshocks...(give it a few years before another champ has this ability lol)

Magneto, OG Storm, Sunspot, Bishop's Prowess. Specifically Storm and Susnpots crazy nuke damage from their Sp 2 when they have Prowess buff.

And for those who have been playing since the beginning of the game, is CMM is first to have an Indestructible buff? Asking because I've seen it on other champs like Herc, Hulkling, Jessica Jones, ...but they all came after her. There's only a few champs who have it in their kit.

Heimdall had unblockable and undexable specials.
    Hela had indestructible buffs before cmm.
    Dani had neuroshocks before onslaught
    Punisher was the first with indestructible. Then came Luke Cage.

Magneto was the first with safeguard in his base kit.

Magik was the first with an effect that would regenerate all damage taken in a time period. Mysterio has it now.

Mephiato had a version of neutralise

Rogue with buff copy

Mordo with counter attack from evade
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,734 ★★★★★

Punisher was the first with indestructible. Then came Luke Cage.

Magneto was the first with safeguard in his base kit.

Magik was the first with an effect that would regenerate all damage taken in a time period. Mysterio has it now.

Mephiato had a version of neutralise

Rogue with buff copy

Mordo with counter attack from evade

Heimdall had unblockable and undexable specials.
    Hela had indestructible buffs before cmm.
    Dani had neuroshocks before onslaught
    Yeeahhh Punisher, LC, and Hela...ok 🤘🏽
  • Sunstar19Sunstar19 Member Posts: 165
    Ghost with her phase mechanic, gains power if miss during phase. Really have to be familiar with other champions animations.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Member Posts: 3,701 ★★★★★
    Wasp - first champ that had a passive stun at the end of combos

Not sure who, but whichever champ was the first with a persistent charge

Wasp - first champ that had a passive stun at the end of combos

Not sure who, but whichever champ was the first with a persistent charge

I think it was bishop (pre buff) who was the first champ to have persistent charge.

To add this, Human torch was the first champ with pre fights. Mr F(pre buff) was the first champ to have cross fight abilities and Apoc was the first champ with abilities that pass to other attackers.
  • phil56201phil56201 Member Posts: 986 ★★★
    As far as I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong on any of these:

Void was the first to inflict petrify as a heal reversing debuff.

Gambit was the first champion with prowess and concussion debuffs. Quake was the second w/concussion the month after Gambit was released.

Post buffed She Hulk and Spider Gwen were the first to inflict slow.
    phil56201 said:

Gambit was the first champion with prowess and concussion debuffs. Quake was the second w/concussion the month after Gambit was released.

Pre buff gambit had prowess? If no then I think emma is the first prowess champ (might be wrong).

To add this, Luke cage pree buff was the first champ to inflict exhaustion.

phil56201 said:

Pre buff gambit had prowess? If no then I think emma is the first prowess champ (might be wrong).

To add this, Luke cage pree buff was the first champ to inflict exhaustion.
    Prowess was like the whole thing. But it used to be a blue icon