Does anyone else do this? 6* vs 7* Champion Development

PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 2,007 ★★★★★
I'm a Valiant player and so predominantly working in 7* territory, but I also stopped playing for a couple of years and so missed a lot of the time when 6* were in vogue. I'm not in a position where I am wanting to focus my resources on 7* champions and it feels like a waste to spend them on 6* champions, especially ones who exist as 7*.

I haven't minded spending resouces on champions who (currently at least) do not exist as 6*.

What this means, though, is that I am sitting on a few 6* champions (like Kushala) who I know are amazing champions but I'm very hesitant to rank them up because not only would it be very expensive, but it would feel like a very limiting move because they'd cap out at 6R5...but on the other hand, goodness knows when I might get the 7*...

Comments

• EgyptOverseerEgyptOverseer Posts: 324
    edited July 14
    At this stage I only rank 6 stars that are not in the 7 star pool above R3, and when they are strong and in the 7 star pool but I don't have the 7 star I only use rank up gems.
  • SiliyoSiliyo Posts: 1,452 ★★★★★
    This is the same thing that happened when 6*’s came out and 5*s were still relevant. The choice is yours and you run the gamble of getting the 7* version tomorrow or not getting her until next year 🤷🏻‍♂️ do what you think is best as the moment unless you want to wait your next few crystal openings
  • willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 4,053 ★★★★★

I'm a Valiant player and so predominantly working in 7* territory, but I also stopped playing for a couple of years and so missed a lot of the time when 6* were in vogue. I'm not in a position where I am wanting to focus my resources on 7* champions and it feels like a waste to spend them on 6* champions, especially ones who exist as 7*.

I haven't minded spending resouces on champions who (currently at least) do not exist as 6*.

What this means, though, is that I am sitting on a few 6* champions (like Kushala) who I know are amazing champions but I'm very hesitant to rank them up because not only would it be very expensive, but it would feel like a very limiting move because they'd cap out at 6R5...but on the other hand, goodness knows when I might get the 7*...

If it makes you feel better, 6* cap out at r5a.

But I invest mostly in 7* unless the 6* needs a high sig (only except is guardian as I want him for nuking and not his utility at the moment)
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Posts: 2,097 ★★★★★
    My rule is I’ll pull the trigger on the 6* if the champ wants dupe or sigs, or if their 7* counterpart has limited availability. In the case of Kushala I have her at r4, and I’d love to take her up but she doesn’t need dupe and she’s in the base pool. Red skull on the other hand is in the titan and not the base pool, so I feel more comfortable taking him up. He will be in the base pool soon, but I also am low on domino counters and he will help with that problem.
  • AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,384 ★★★★★
    If I get a 6* of someone I want and don't have the 7*, I will rank 6r3 quickly. If I really like using them, I will 6r4A but won't r5 unless I have a gem. R4 materials come quick so there's no wasting resources while waiting to get 7s.

I had Onslaught 6r5A through Mutant 4to5. During July unit deals, I was able to select him and then dupe him and got him to 7r3. The 6 comes in handy for things like EQ and SQ, while 7 does work in BGs and war defense
  • PT_99PT_99 Posts: 3,934 ★★★★★
    I don't even open 6* featured now, 15k cost is too much when 10k cost can land me dupe and 7* shards.

6 are falling off way rapidly.
    Just 2 days ago I pulled Nega from 7* pool, now that 6* which I thankfully did not touched even tho she was dubbed as "counter" to Bullseye.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,953 ★★★★★
    If I need a particular 6* due to roadblocks or meta in bg's I rank them.

7* have to be very good for me to r2.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 3,070 ★★★★★
    edited July 15
    I took hype to 6r5 because the dupe is important. Then I pulled the 7-star twice in the span of a few pulls. Whoops. Love my 7r2 hype though. And at least I didn’t ascend the 6.
  • PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 2,007 ★★★★★
    TyEdge said:

I took hype to 6r5 because the dupe is important. Then I pulled the 7-star twice in the span of a few pulls. Whoops. Love my 7r2 hype though. And at least I didn’t ascend the 6.

That's it, isn't it? I have 6* Hyperion and Kushala, I could invest all those resources to rank them up...and then immediately pull the 7*. Or I could leave them, and go literally years without pulling them.

I still have 5* champs that I somehow never managed to pull!
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 5,322 ★★★★★
    I had this same exact thought a while ago but I pulled the trigger:

All I'm gonna say is I don't regret it one bit cause I'd been struggling with a few meta defenders for a while due to not having her and I was genuinely tired of waiting lol.

Here's the conclusion I eventually came to: if you're Valiant and you play all content in the game (BGs, EQ, AQ etc) consistently then you're easily getting enough rank up materials for at least one r5 6* or r2 7* a month so if you do pull her, it's not like those rank up materials are extremely rare expensive and hard to acquire or gone forever. Even the t2 dust is relatively easy to acquire if you do all extra monthly content, if they were as expensive and hard to get as r3 mats different story but that's not the case so I'd say go for it, you're missing out.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 5,322 ★★★★★
    PT_99 said:

I don't even open 6* featured now, 15k cost is too much when 10k cost can land me dupe and 7* shards.

6 are falling off way rapidly.
    Just 2 days ago I pulled Nega from 7* pool, now that 6* which I thankfully did not touched even tho she was dubbed as "counter" to Bullseye.

6* are not going anywhere for at least another year what are you on about lol
  • ChrisPowellChrisPowell Posts: 138
    The best way to get the 7* version of any champ is to rank the 6*. 60% of the time it works everytime.

But seriously, if a champ benefits from high sig I have no problem ranking the 6*. Also, if a champ is only in the titan I have not problem ranking the 6*. I use go ham on the new featured days and rank the most desirable 6*s out of that. I'll take them to r4 immediately and if I really like them then r5 and ascended soon after. This has only bit me a couple times (onslaught, werewolf, sersi!!) and I tend to move past it.

My perspective is from a BG player, where new champions are more relevant newly released then 6 months later.
  • MaiThuyneMaiThuyne Posts: 9
    you should save yours resources for 8* champs
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 7,567 ★★★★★
    My philosophy is, only rank up 6*s with gems.
    I have 12 6* r5, out of em only 3 were ranked up by cats (doom, kate and fam). You will get plenty of r5 6* gems, use them to rank your favourite champ and save the cats for 7*