Venompool has bleeds for days, y'all

ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,894 ★★★★★
I r3'd my Venompool right after exploring the Crucible and getting that 2-3 gem. I took him into Battlegrounds last season and had a lot of fun, but one thing I noticed was that his bleed from his SP3 was ticking something fierce. I feel like a lot of people have said that Venompool is a ramp-up champion (which is absolutely true) that doesn't necessarily work for BG (which is less true), and I wanted to test out exactly how potent his SP3 bleed actually is and if it's viable to use in BG.

I did two tests. One was with full Recoil masteries but without any points in Deep Wounds, while the other test was the opposite - no Recoil but 5/5 Deep Wounds.

The results were...surprising. Even to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIqJ5rNo7Rw

If you don't want to watch the video, the spoilers are these:

* Full Recoils but no Deep Wounds: Around 225,000 damage with one SP3 + the resulting bleed.

* No Recoils but 5/5 Deep Wounds: Around 280,000 damage with one SP3 + the resulting bleed.

I think two things are important to note here.

1) I'm using the Venom relic here. It does help a lot. But at the same time, even if you shave off 20% of the damage, you'll still KO almost every Battlegrounds defender that can either bleed or is a #robot in one SP3. The same would probably be true if you just brought in an r2 Venompool.

2) This is Venompool in the most vanilla fight possible - ROL Winter Soldier. He's nowhere near fully ramped up, and he has a lot of ways that he can ramp up while still going straight for his SP3. Whenever he is immune to an effect, he gains 50 charges to his cookin' meter (which means that he's immediately 50% closer to his next buff). In the last BG meta, this really supercharged him since there was a constant chance that he'd be armor broken whenever he hits a defender, and armor breaks is one of his immunities (alongside power burn, power drain, and shock). This means that there are plenty of champions and node that can really accelerate his ramp-up on the way up to his SP3 instead of it being the sole thing that boosts his ramp up. Because, oh yeah, it does that too in addition to dishing out a massive bleed.

Just a little showcase of how insanely powerful his SP3 can be. Let me know if you want to know more about the champion. He's a great counter to Red Skull, for example, as well as against all kinds of robots that regain their armor up buffs after they've been om nommed.

Comments

• BendyBendy Member Posts: 5,763 ★★★★★
    Ercarret said:

I r3'd my Venompool right after exploring the Crucible and getting that 2-3 gem. I took him into Battlegrounds last season and had a lot of fun, but one thing I noticed was that his bleed from his SP3 was ticking something fierce. I feel like a lot of people have said that Venompool is a ramp-up champion (which is absolutely true) that doesn't necessarily work for BG (which is less true), and I wanted to test out exactly how potent his SP3 bleed actually is and if it's viable to use in BG.

I did two tests. One was with full Recoil masteries but without any points in Deep Wounds, while the other test was the opposite - no Recoil but 5/5 Deep Wounds.

* Full Recoils but no Deep Wounds: Around 225,000 damage with one SP3 + the resulting bleed.

* No Recoils but 5/5 Deep Wounds: Around 280,000 damage with one SP3 + the resulting bleed.

1) I'm using the Venom relic here. It does help a lot. But at the same time, even if you shave off 20% of the damage, you'll still KO almost every Battlegrounds defender that can either bleed or is a #robot in one SP3. The same would probably be true if you just brought in an r2 Venompool.

2) This is Venompool in the most vanilla fight possible - ROL Winter Soldier. He's nowhere near fully ramped up, and he has a lot of ways that he can ramp up while still going straight for his SP3. Whenever he is immune to an effect, he gains 50 charges to his cookin' meter (which means that he's immediately 50% closer to his next buff). In the last BG meta, this really supercharged him since there was a constant chance that he'd be armor broken whenever he hits a defender, and armor breaks is one of his immunities (alongside power burn, power drain, and shock). This means that there are plenty of champions and node that can really accelerate his ramp-up on the way up to his SP3 instead of it being the sole thing that boosts his ramp up. Because, oh yeah, it does that too in addition to dishing out a massive bleed.

Just a little showcase of how insanely powerful his SP3 can be. Let me know if you want to know more about the champion. He's a great counter to Red Skull, for example, as well as against all kinds of robots that regain their armor up buffs after they've been om nommed.

Insane wow i didnt even know this was a good rotation but damn its stronger than just going sp2s
  • Dirty_DozzDirty_Dozz Member Posts: 443 ★★★
    Glad to see some Venompool love! I used him as a 5* for quite awhile, and never got lucky to get him as a 6*. You can bet I chose him from the Reunion selector.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,086 ★★★★★

He will pause his bleeds if you hit the cookin meter 100 charges after sp3. He is also immune to everything a tech champ inflicts so he should be great against techs in bgs. He is virtually indestructible against armor up based champs like red skull and fam.

I used to call him "budget galan" cuz he does everything galan does but in a little slow manner.

He’s the long fight Galan
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    He's 100% not good for BGs unless he's r3 but then again that goes for any r3 even Misty.
    With that being said his damage IS crazy, takes a while to get there but he is really good when he can ramp fully.
  • ThePredator1001ThePredator1001 Member Posts: 777 ★★★★

He's 100% not good for BGs unless he's r3 but then again that goes for any r3 even Misty.
    With that being said his damage IS crazy, takes a while to get there but he is really good when he can ramp fully.

He’s absolutely viable in BG, especially against tech champions, venom is faster now because the venom relic super charges him but once you get that first sp2 the power gain lets him just spam sp2 and if they have any armors you can finish with an om nom to top off any health you’ve lost. He’s not a nuke but i think there’s a place for him in Bg decks if the meta doesn’t shut him down.

He’s absolutely viable in BG, especially against tech champions, venom is faster now because the venom relic super charges him but once you get that first sp2 the power gain lets him just spam sp2 and if they have any armors you can finish with an om nom to top off any health you’ve lost. He’s not a nuke but i think there’s a place for him in Bg decks if the meta doesn’t shut him down.
    I've tried my r1 against that 150k HP Deadpool in Act 6 and it takes on average 45-50 secs with sp2 spam that's very slow. Occasionally you get a 40 sec take down with good crit RNG but his crit rating is terrible even with the stat.
    Compared to everything else in the game he's not even a top 10 cosmic, if you were to use him you'd be handicapping yourself by not using the other top options and at the level I play that's just not viable, you will lose.
  • Vance2_jrVance2_jr Member Posts: 733 ★★★
    My man!! I love me some r3. And he does exceptional in BGs.
  • ThePredator1001ThePredator1001 Member Posts: 777 ★★★★

I've tried my r1 against that 150k HP Deadpool in Act 6 and it takes on average 45-50 secs with sp2 spam that's very slow. Occasionally you get a 40 sec take down with good crit RNG but his crit rating is terrible even with the stat.
    Compared to everything else in the game he's not even a top 10 cosmic, if you were to use him you'd be handicapping yourself by not using the other top options and at the level I play that's just not viable, you will lose.
    I think that’s too small of a healthpool to test for him, but you have a point. I was testing him against RoL winter soldier and with the sp3 rotation he was finishing fights in about 1:25 which isn’t bad but didn’t realize how slow of a start he has. He’s got some unique utility that could make him a solid option for certain metas. Like the last amour up meta was great for him, and his on nom also bypasses nullify immunity so he’s great for champs like red skull or even a budget serpent counter, since you can on nom his power gain and his death immunity.

But in vanilla metas he’ll probably be abit too slow. Wish I could test him this meta but the nodes shut him down.

I think that’s too small of a healthpool to test for him, but you have a point. I was testing him against RoL winter soldier and with the sp3 rotation he was finishing fights in about 1:25 which isn’t bad but didn’t realize how slow of a start he has. He’s got some unique utility that could make him a solid option for certain metas. Like the last amour up meta was great for him, and his on nom also bypasses nullify immunity so he’s great for champs like red skull or even a budget serpent counter, since you can on nom his power gain and his death immunity.

But in vanilla metas he’ll probably be abit too slow. Wish I could test him this meta but the nodes shut him down.
    Oh yeah sp3 slaps, the bleed damage is ridiculous and it lasts for so long while you increase the cooking meter, just sucks that it's for the most part too slow for BGs.

He's a great champ for sure and the om nom thing ignoring nullify immunity cause it's not a nullify is really good but yeah unless you have him at r3 he's just not quick enough unfortunately. He could work if you're an average player and don't compete in Gamma or higher but after Gamma, he struggles a lot keeping up with the other cosmics.
  • ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,894 ★★★★★
    I think where I like him best in BG is against tech champions that you take a lot of chip/other kinds of damage against. Warlock and Red Skull are prime examples. It doesn't matter if you take any damage from blocking hits or missing a dex, you can easily regen that back with an SP1. Having 10% regen on the SP1 as long as you just om nommed an armor up is insane sustainability and it offsets the slightly longer time it takes to take down the opponent.

I never grind especially hard in the Gladiator's Circuit (and, truth be told, I probably wouldn't get too far even if I tried), so I don't know how far my results would get me, but I was able to put in about 50K points against both Warlock and Red Skull (both r3 as well) last season. It's rare that I put up much better results in BG even with my best champions.
  • tnair2015tnair2015 Member Posts: 116
    Ercarret said:

pity his immunities are only vs techs.