**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Alliance Wars Seasons Discussion Thread

Comments

• linux wrote: »
    Anyway -- my point is that the multipliers are needed, to deal with the fact that clearing in T1-T3 is much harder than in T4.

While that is a potential problem, I don't believe it is the most important one, because even if the rate of 100% explore was exactly the same in all tiers, the multiplier would still be necessary for AW seasons to function at all. The notion that it is not necessary rests on a fundamental misunderstanding of how war tiers themselves function: the notion that being in a higher tier means you win more often. That's subtly but critically wrong: being in a higher tier means you won more often, placing you in a higher tier. But once you reach the tier that matches you against comparable competition, your win rate must then eventually stabilize to something close to 50/50.

If every alliance started in tier 22, and then win/loss record pushed every alliance up or down based on win/loss record, then the multiplier would be less necessary. But in that situation everyone would be randomly matched against potential behemoths who would run them over on their way to marching to tier 1. That's not ideal.
  • linux wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    linux wrote: »
    Anyway -- my point is that the multipliers are needed, to deal with the fact that clearing in T1-T3 is much harder than in T4.

While that is a potential problem, I don't believe it is the most important one, because even if the rate of 100% explore was exactly the same in all tiers, the multiplier would still be necessary for AW seasons to function at all. The notion that it is not necessary rests on a fundamental misunderstanding of how war tiers themselves function: the notion that being in a higher tier means you win more often. That's subtly but critically wrong: being in a higher tier means you won more often, placing you in a higher tier. But once you reach the tier that matches you against comparable competition, your win rate must then eventually stabilize to something close to 50/50.

If every alliance started in tier 22, and then win/loss record pushed every alliance up or down based on win/loss record, then the multiplier would be less necessary. But in that situation everyone would be randomly matched against potential behemoths who would run them over on their way to marching to tier 1. That's not ideal.

As I said, based on a some simple back-of-the-envelope numbers, if we clear at least two bosses it doesn't make sense for us -- that is, I don't think this is a problem because of the specific multipliers.

But if we rise to hard matches in T1-T3 where we average 1 boss or so for losses (and especially if we average fewer than 3 bosses for wins) then we should sandbag defense to go down in ranking to get easier matches -- I know we can ~always clear 3 maps in T4 (easier nodes), so if we lost on attacker kills in T4 we'd get at least ~900k for wins and ~675k for losses (average of about 787.5k, ignoring the fact that you lose a little more rank on loses than you gain on wins).

I think that probably won't happen though -- the extra 1/3 (4.5 -> 6) makes up for missing a fair chunk of the map at T3 and better.

What I'm trying to say is that while that situation exists for you, that can't be the primary reason for the multiplier because even if that wasn't true the lack of a multiplier would still break the season system. The multiplier helps you out of that problem, but it would be there with or without that problem.
  • SillyCaitlinSillyCaitlin Posts: 535
    When does this begin?
  • Jon8299Jon8299 Posts: 1,067 ★★★
    edited February 2018
    So in the announcement you said the leaderboard would go live one week after Season 1 begins. Season 1 began now and the counter says the leaderboard will be live in two weeks.

A small mistake but now I'm wondering what other errors could be in the announcement.
  • Let the account sharing and Merc hiring begin!
  • oskurososkuros Posts: 8
    In the war panel of the game.. they are two counters..I guess one is for the 56 days that the seasons will last.. but the other whit 14 days... what's it for?
  • Jon8299Jon8299 Posts: 1,067 ★★★
    oskuros wrote: »
    In the war panel of the game.. they are two counters..I guess one is for the 56 days that the seasons will last.. but the other whit 14 days... what's it for?

That one is for us to be able to see the live leaderboard. It was supposed to be available in 7 days from now not 14.
  • VoluntarisVoluntaris Posts: 1,198 ★★★
    edited February 2018
    matchmaking at 36 minutes ... praying kabam didn't throw prestige back into the matchmaking parameters (which previously resulted in waiting for hours on matchmaking) ... last week's aw matchmaking took less than 3 minutes each time.

plz be a fluke just for this war and have AW matchmaking still only by war rating alone.

edit: match found in 45 mins, may have just been due to higher war rating than last week or two
  • @kabam mike

what happens if we choose to switch alliances during the season?

thanks
  • @kabam mike

what happens if we choose to switch alliances during the season?

thanks

The announcement specifies that you must have fought at least five wars with the alliance you are in at the end of the season to be eligible for end of season rewards. If you switch alliances, the counter resets to zero, and you must fight at least five wars with your new alliance to be eligible for the end of season rewards.
  • New_Noob168New_Noob168 Posts: 1,562 ★★★★
    Why even care about AW? Everyone on top pilots. It's so unappealing and nothing gets done about it.
  • Why even care about AW? Everyone on top pilots. It's so unappealing and nothing gets done about it.

I believe you should protest this by starting up match making constantly, and then just not fighting in the war at all. That way you get the loser bracket rewards for free, Kabam gets no money or time from you, and everyone else moves up in rank for better rewards. This is a win-win all around.
  • @Kabam Miike
    Is the Master Bracket still top 20 as the original post suggested or top 25 as the rewards show right now on the AW Season Page in-game?
  • Gladiator09Gladiator09 Posts: 287 ★★
    This 2 month waiting is utter rubbish ...
    Every match rewards should be buffed .
    Such a terrible idea ...
  • General_VisGeneral_Vis Posts: 138
    edited February 2018
    Is there going to be any change to the victory crystals?

I got a single L2 health potion last time which was pretty worthless.
  • Everything you guys have been changing prior to now is to balance the game out per what kabam says. Don’t you realize that this is going to create huge gaps. Your top 300 alliances will be able to r2 their 6*’s, being more 5*’s to 5/65 while alliances 300-25000 get screwed without any t5b’s chances or even T2a. Not right.

It also messed up that my alliance was top 100 until we had seriously 10 matchups in dec/Jan in a row with crazy stronger alliances and now we are tier 6. Those rewards are awesome do top 300 and awful for 95% or the other alliances in the game. Gap is going to be huge now and no one can recover from that after a season or two.
  • Hulk_77Hulk_77 Posts: 782 ★★★
    Everything you guys have been changing prior to now is to balance the game out per what kabam says. Don’t you realize that this is going to create huge gaps. Your top 300 alliances will be able to r2 their 6*’s, being more 5*’s to 5/65 while alliances 300-25000 get screwed without any t5b’s chances or even T2a. Not right.

It also messed up that my alliance was top 100 until we had seriously 10 matchups in dec/Jan in a row with crazy stronger alliances and now we are tier 6. Those rewards are awesome do top 300 and awful for 95% or the other alliances in the game. Gap is going to be huge now and no one can recover from that after a season or two.

That has more to do with changing how war was scored. It went from PI/diversity based back to mostly skill based. My alliance has won 13 straight wars. Get better at winning fights without dying if you want to move back up.

I do agree that the t2a and t5b cutoffs are a bit too high. T5b should come down another tier or two before disappearing altogether and t2as should extend down about 4 or 5 more tiers.
  • GabbrosGabbros Posts: 157
    edited February 2018
    @Kabam Miike

Some suggestions:

1)Season score calculation change:

I have yet to see the end point screen, however, based on kabam mike’s announcement post, i can assume tat each war’s final score is counted as part of the calculation. This means tat every death counts which is no good. Of course, number of deaths reflect skill, but level of difficulty also depends who u r matched with varying alliance’s death count. Instead, a fixed number for win and lose should only be used with the multiplier...this suggestion makes competition more fair imo. Also, every single death counting, not only as a win condition to each war, but impacting total season score will UNDOUBTEDLY encourage more piloting. Yes, piloting is against tos, but it is a fact tat top alliances pilot. Very easy to prove.

I am guessing that the leaderboard is disabled because u guys wanna monitor how alliances end up on the rank chart. I really hope u guys take my suggestion in mind.

2)Matchmaking:

I have criticized multiple times that u guys need to adjust ur search parameters, so alliances dont take 4 hours to search. Aside time search issues, fair matchups is also a concern, but not a big one atm.

3)Diversity:

30 points still affects aw too much. Top 50, esp top20 alliances r being forced to place high diversity because of increasing piloting and low death rate. Should lower diversity points to 10-15 points. Or even better, diversity should be capped at 20 or 30 out of 50 per bg. This will still encourage people to place diverse defenders, yet not place too-weak defenders which may in turn affect and evaluate attackers’ skill more accurately also.

4)AW season rewards:
    I believe the reward difference should be tweaked more. I suggest master bracket to be top30 at least. Or improve platinum brackets’ rewards.
  • nIHSEANnIHSEAN Posts: 67
    edited February 2018
    Dear Miike, can you plz explain me why do we need score multiplier for the AW season based on AW tiers?

Don't they give a hugeboost, to the score of top alliances, and let them stay at top at the end of every season?
    It makes top alliance to grow thier roster much faster and dominate top spots.

AW season can be much better for all the players if there isnt huge score booster for the top alliances.
  • nIHSEAN wrote: »
    Dear Miike, can you plz explain me why do we need score multiplier for the AW season based on AW tiers?

Don't they give a hugeboost, to the score of top alliances, and let them stay at top at the end of every season?
    It makes top alliance to grow thier roster much faster and dominate top spots.

AW season can be much better for all the players if there isnt huge score booster for the top alliances.

This has been asked and answered more than once. There are lots of reasons for the multiplier, but the most important reason for the multiplier is that it is absolutely necessary for alliance war seasons to work. Outside of the multiplier, everyone earns more or less the same amount of points in alliance war. Without a multiplier, an alliance with a 50/50 win/loss record in tier 22 could easily have more points at the end of the season as a tier 1 alliance with a 50/50 win/loss record in tier 1.

Because of this, without a multiplier the logical thing for all tier 1 alliances to do would be to disband at the start of every season and create a new alliance that would start at the bottom in tier 22, and promptly destroy every alliance they face, earning a 100% win record and beating everyone else while making a mockery of the match making system. The multiplier creates an incentive to start the season as high as possible. Without it, the incentive would be to start as low as possible - to get the easiest competition. And no one really wants that to be the way seasons work.

To put it another way, you can give tier 1 alliances an incentive to start in tier 1 and gain more points per war, or you can give them no incentive to stay in tier 1 and instead force them to improve their performance by winning more wars - which they can do by dropping down and fighting lower tier alliances and getting guaranteed wins. Pick one. Either way, they are going to be unbeatable.
  • The rewards for top 300 are pretty nice and then totally drop off for gold tier. This will create a huge imbalance and top 300 will continue to stay on top 300. 301-1500 will never leave that tier. Guys got to fix those gold tiers to include T2a and t5b’s shards. Not just those crystals that will award an insignificant amount.

Maybe the huge imbalance you are creating will be solved by 7*’s?
  • The rewards for top 300 are pretty nice and then totally drop off for gold tier. This will create a huge imbalance and top 300 will continue to stay on top 300. 301-1500 will never leave that tier. Guys got to fix those gold tiers to include T2a and t5b’s shards. Not just those crystals that will award an insignificant amount.

I don't see how you could possibly know how much shards will be in the black crystal, but okay let's say you're correct, and it is an insignificant amount. In that case, let's ignore them when comparing Platinum 3 and Gold 1. Gold 1 has zero T5B shards. Platinum 3 has 4500 shards, which is one tenth of a T5B crystal. Every two months. Please explain how this "huge imbalance" is something every single player in the Platinum 3 tier will be able to parlay into permanently locking out everyone in Gold 1 tier from being able to advance into the Platinum 3 tier.
  • charmsonecharmsone Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    @Kabam Miike how do we know the number we participated in war? is it stated in our profile? is it a matter if we join different battle group since there are 3?
  • DNA3000 wrote: »
    The rewards for top 300 are pretty nice and then totally drop off for gold tier. This will create a huge imbalance and top 300 will continue to stay on top 300. 301-1500 will never leave that tier. Guys got to fix those gold tiers to include T2a and t5b’s shards. Not just those crystals that will award an insignificant amount.

I don't see how you could possibly know how much shards will be in the black crystal, but okay let's say you're correct, and it is an insignificant amount. In that case, let's ignore them when comparing Platinum 3 and Gold 1. Gold 1 has zero T5B shards. Platinum 3 has 4500 shards, which is one tenth of a T5B crystal. Every two months. Please explain how this "huge imbalance" is something every single player in the Platinum 3 tier will be able to parlay into permanently locking out everyone in Gold 1 tier from being able to advance into the Platinum 3 tier.

Just wait bro.
  • nIHSEANnIHSEAN Posts: 67
    @D
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Thank you for the explanation
    Seems Whales' will always have advantage in the Game. :neutral:
  • SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,140 ★★★★
    There was mention of the AW rewards being buffed slightly. Has anyone noticed it ? Look the same to me.
  • SligSlig Posts: 328 ★★
    We got some 6* shards
  • KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    edited February 2018
    Click on the black crystals, the contain a minimum of 1k t2a shards plus bonus frags of t2a or t5b.

Gold 1 will give minimum of 6k t2a frags + whatever bonus frags are in each crystal.