**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

New thoughts on this game being free to play...

MMCskippyMMCskippy Posts: 352 ★★
I downloaded Marvel Puzzle Quest to try to earn more Marvel Insider points. I wasn't planning on playing it, just downloading it long enough to earn the points. To get a username, you have to play a little bit of content before you can create an account.

Long story short: I have essentially been playing MPQ instead of my normal amount of arena grinding and it's shown me something HUGE. Before this, I put up 3-5 million points every arena cycle (not including t4b arena).

Going from that much grinding to hitting rank reward mins and stopping showed me that: If you've been playing 2+ years, you CANNOT play for free unless you grind that much arena.

When you grind that much arena, you hit a lot of Hero Use solo events and arena solo events to rack up revives.

All content beyond Arena and Act 3 is now pay to play. With the failure of pots and revives to scale up with the increasing HPs of characters needed to clear AQ, AW, Act 4 and Act 5, it's to the point that anything that happens in those areas you need to decide to quit your progress or spend $5 in credits (100 credits in a quest to get a champ to full health with a free revive) or $10/$30 in credits (400 credits in AQ or AW ---- AND THIS WILL ONLY REVIVE AND HEAL A 5/50 LINE UP ABOUT 50%).

So if you've been here 2+ years: Congrats, we're being counted on to keep this game afloat by paying to give away a bunch of items to newbs. We've been giving money to pay the team to develop all this buggy content. It's all our fault for not quitting sooner.

Comments

• Options
    spumingtonspumington Posts: 350 ★★
    The real question is, is Marvel Puzzle Quest any good? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    I'm going at act 4 without paying... I just wait for all my potions to refill before attempting a quest
  • Options
    I'm enjoying MPQ quite a bit.

Disclaimer: I do like puzzle games. A lot. Word puzzles. Matching puzzles. Number puzzles. I like them.

The comic covers you earn to own a character are cool. I love getting a comic cover I actually own. I'm not 100% sure how fast progression is, but it's going at a good pace for me now. Alliances are weird over there. There are some serious ones, but then there's a bunch of groups of people just playing together to get alliance style rewards.

All in all, I'm sure it's like this game, if you're at it for 2+ years, it's probably pretty grim, but growing my roster in MPQ is enjoyable right now.

(And I spent the money I'd have normally spent in MCoC in MPQ and it really helped my roster grow like crazy. So it's new content, it's interesting and it costs me the same amount of $$$. It's a win/win/win.)
  • Options
    @meckaforce1 I think it's still possible to play for free, but you really have to be on the grind.
  • Options
    MMCskippy wrote: »
    @meckaforce1 I think it's still possible to play for free, but you really have to be on the grind.

I will be a 2-year player in August. I don't think I'm quite as far as you. I haven't done LOL, but I've done everything else. I'm in a top-600 alliance. I basically play the game for free (drop $5 here and there), but you're right about the grind. I never miss milestones in arena. That's the trade-off.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying MPQ quite a bit.

Disclaimer: I do like puzzle games. A lot. Word puzzles. Matching puzzles. Number puzzles. I like them.

The comic covers you earn to own a character are cool. I love getting a comic cover I actually own. I'm not 100% sure how fast progression is, but it's going at a good pace for me now. Alliances are weird over there. There are some serious ones, but then there's a bunch of groups of people just playing together to get alliance style rewards.

All in all, I'm sure it's like this game, if you're at it for 2+ years, it's probably pretty grim, but growing my roster in MPQ is enjoyable right now.

(And I spent the money I'd have normally spent in MCoC in MPQ and it really helped my roster grow like crazy. So it's new content, it's interesting and it costs me the same amount of $$$. It's a win/win/win.)

@MMCskippy You're right. MPQ is pretty fun.
  • Options
    @spumington It is pretty fun!

I also like it because you know exactly where you stand for rewards throughout an entire event. There's no guessing so you have control over your grind.
  • Options
    @spumington It is pretty fun!

I also like it because you know exactly where you stand for rewards throughout an entire event. There's no guessing so you have control over your grind.

I don't think I'm that far yet. I joined an alliance. Not sure what that means or how we're supposed to interact. I'm still going for 100% completion on the Juggernaut quest in the prologue. But that's kind of what makes it fun. There's no pressure to play it ever. Just do a fight, wait 20 minutes (or 3 days...whatever), then do another fight.
  • Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,764 ★★★★★
    I'm here almost since the beginning. Since update 2.0.0 I think.
    I have a 410k account, completed everything except LoL (which I'm thinking of doing 1 path at any moment), play on a low end android device and never spent a cent in this game, or at any game at all.
    I always play the arenas. They are part of the game and are such important as quests, and people must do it in order to progress.
  • Options
    Slasherx44Slasherx44 Posts: 20
    If you have played this game long enough and are in a high tier in AW or AQ, then you are definetly paying to play. Either with your money or your time, it just depends which you value more. Obviously arena is the best way to farm units, gold, and champions, but it is very repetitive and can burn you out as a player.
  • Options
    LegendsForgedLegendsForged Posts: 364
    It already did with voodoo arena..i casually gotten milestones in venom but havent touched hyperion arena yet and probably wont this round or second round either