**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

New player having a couple struggles/questions

Hey guys,

Just started playing the game a week or so ago, and I'm getting addicted to it but I've plateaued a bit, and I was wondering if I could get some guidance from you guys. I've been trying to figure this out on my own but some things I don't get. I'm sure I probably come across as clueless/annoying, but if anyone has any help I'd appreciate it.

-I have a lot of champions that are maxed out at two stars. How can I get them to three stars?
-I still don't quite understand the Class Bonus system. What does it mean?
-I have 5,800 in Infinity Dust, but the Infinity Dust store never has items for sale? Any idea why?
-I'm still figuring out the Mastery stuff as well. Any tips?
-Black Panther is my favorite champion, and I have the version with him having the gold claws. Is the Civil War costume - and other costumes for other characters, for that matter - an upgraded version of this same champion, or is he a completely separate champion that I have to unlock?

Also, for anything that matters: I'm at level 25,

Comments

• BatpotterBatpotter Posts: 147
    Pretty much what Kabam Pertinax said
    But you can choose whatever masteries you want
    Parry and Dexerity are really helpful. If you Parry an opponent, you stun them. And when you dodge using Dexerity, you gain an increased chance at a critical hit. I hope this helps @weketchum
  • weketchumweketchum Posts: 62
    Thanks so much to both of you. One more question: there's no way just to buy characters, right? If I just want to get Black Panther Civil War or Killmonger, there's no way I can just buy them - I can only keep reaching the amount of needed crystals and hope for the best?
  • weketchum wrote: »
    Thanks so much to both of you. One more question: there's no way just to buy characters, right? If I just want to get Black Panther Civil War or Killmonger, there's no way I can just buy them - I can only keep reaching the amount of needed crystals and hope for the best?

You're very welcome, weketchum, and thank you to Batpotter for your suggestions on great starting Masteries!

For the Champions listed above like Black Panther Civil War and Killmonger, you can use Units to purchase Crystals in the Crystals menu, though as the drops from the Crystals are random, being sure to get your favorite Champ without it being explicitly stated can't be guaranteed.

With that being said, if you're persistent and keep collecting Crystals and Shards, it's bound to happen eventually!
    Well you can get Featured Crystals for an Increased Chance at certain Champs like Black Panther (Civil War) and Killmonger.
    But otherwise you have to hope for the best
    Hope this helps
  • JCPer14JCPer14 Posts: 79
    2 tips for beginners, 1) DO NOT EVER sell your champions, you get more by duplicating them (Getting the same character twice) then selling them. 2) DO NOT (no matter how lucky you think you are) spend units on PHC (Premium Hero Crystals).
  • AngelicsignAngelicsign Posts: 391 ★★
    Agree with @JCPer14, do not purchase PHC (especially when PHC is so easy to get in later stage of the game, I am not an agressive player, but I got it like 10per week atleast) or I will say do not purchase any hero crystals.

Rule of thumb, in early game, save your units fr masteries because you will need plenty of them
    look out something in Store called Stony mastery Core (135 units each), and Carbonadium Core (550 units each).

First thing to achieve: Pump up the game changing mastery with this sequent, 1x parry (for block attack then stun), 1x dexterity (for evading special 1 and special 2 attack), 2x parry (for further reduce block damage).

Parry: 3 stony cores to unlock, 15units per level up
    Dexterity: 2 stony cores to unlock, 15units per level up
  • weketchumweketchum Posts: 62
    mike867 wrote: »
    Another BIG tip is make sure you grind in Arenas. They are fairly easy to get a champ out of since you compete against people who also just joined the game and arn't aware much about the basic rules. I am in medium bracket and I got Ironman IW and Domino (4* feat) with no more than 1.2m score whereas Vets have to grind till 15m points. You might not be able to enter or compete in 4* feat arenas but you can definitely start with the 3* version, grow into 4* basic and then into 4* feat before your Vet range ends.

Don't forget to do this; it will give you a huge edge in MCOC and you will get some of the best champions, making Vets jelly of you:)

How can I get a champ out of Arenas? I started playing in them recently, but I don't see how I'd get more Champs from it like you're saying. I've played Versus a fair amount but I haven't really seen the payoff yet. I just have a lot of gold that I don't really know where to use.
    Agree with @JCPer14, do not purchase PHC (especially when PHC is so easy to get in later stage of the game, I am not an agressive player, but I got it like 10per week atleast) or I will say do not purchase any hero crystals.

Rule of thumb, in early game, save your units fr masteries because you will need plenty of them
    look out something in Store called Stony mastery Core (135 units each), and Carbonadium Core (550 units each).

First thing to achieve: Pump up the game changing mastery with this sequent, 1x parry (for block attack then stun), 1x dexterity (for evading special 1 and special 2 attack), 2x parry (for further reduce block damage).

Yeah, saving units is something I've been unable to do. I end up spending it all on energy, or on powerups during some of my quests.
  • ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    weketchum wrote: »
    mike867 wrote: »
    Another BIG tip is make sure you grind in Arenas. They are fairly easy to get a champ out of since you compete against people who also just joined the game and arn't aware much about the basic rules. I am in medium bracket and I got Ironman IW and Domino (4* feat) with no more than 1.2m score whereas Vets have to grind till 15m points. You might not be able to enter or compete in 4* feat arenas but you can definitely start with the 3* version, grow into 4* basic and then into 4* feat before your Vet range ends.

Don't forget to do this; it will give you a huge edge in MCOC and you will get some of the best champions, making Vets jelly of you:)

How can I get a champ out of Arenas? I started playing in them recently, but I don't see how I'd get more Champs from it like you're saying. I've played Versus a fair amount but I haven't really seen the payoff yet. I just have a lot of gold that I don't really know where to use.

Yeah, saving units is something I've been unable to do. I end up spending it all on energy, or on powerups during some of my quests.

Try not to spend units on energy, You need to make getting parry and dexterity your number one priority. Once you level up and gain the ability to join the alliance, they can help you out with some of your Energy.

In the arena, there are milestone rewards(Rewards that you earn by earning enough points ) As well as rank rewards(once you reach the minimum number of points as stated by the arena). You are able to earn the champion shown in the arena you are participating in by reaching At least the top 1-10% of the player base. And since you started Recently, You should be under the Beginners bracket where it's comparatively easier to reach top 10% Compared to when you reach the veteran bracket. So grind arena and earn champions while you can.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,349 ★★★★★
    edited June 2018
    Nice helpful stuff from Kabam Pertinax there.

Masteries are expensive in game terms, but make a huge difference to playing the game.
    Sine if the more advanced Masteries need you to have 15 points in offense/defense/utility before you can access them. These are powerful, but even more expensive, so do your research and choose carefully before using any of them.

I'd agree that Salve is a useful mastery when you're fighting with 2* and 3* champs; but you'll probably want to trade or in after that, as the health gain isn't significant in stronger champions.

I'd prioritise Dexterity over Parry, as it's easier to learn good dexterity first; whereas if you develop the instincts to Parry, you then need to learn to overcome them to use dexterity.

Also, Courage is well worth maxing out.

Watch some of these videos:
    https://youtu.be/OPH60F-IETI
    https://youtu.be/fIaGpZgmQJs
    https://youtu.be/VRPXxHrgDnY
  • CuteshelfCuteshelf Posts: 747 ★★★
    Hey weketchum!

Firstly, welcome to the game and the forums!

When it comes to your questions, I'm sure that our great community could weigh in and provide lots of helpful advice, but to answer a few for you, I'll list them as you asked them.

-Champions can't go from 2 Star to 3 Star, so a great way to start getting your hands on 3 Star Champions is to go through the main Quests and Event Quests in order to gain 3* Crystal Shards and intact 3* Crystals. You'll need 2000 shards to form a complete 3* Hero Crystal, and you can check how many you have in the Crystal section of the main menu.

-The Class Bonus system functions as a way to give yourself an edge over opponents. For example, if you have a Skill Champion, their match-up will be more favorable when against Science Champions, giving them a boost in Stats for the fight, though they'll be weaker against Mutant Champions. There's a handy link to understanding the relationships between Classes here.

-Infinity Dust was a special "Currency" that was available for gathering and spending throughout the last Event period, though this period has now ended, as the new Event Quest has now started.

-When it comes to Masteries, these are ways to give you more advantages in fights. Make sure to check out what each of them do, so that you can make your team more powerful than ever! (From personal experience, I found Salve rather useful when first starting out, as this gives non-robot Champions a little bit of health regeneration, which has saved me a good few times in fights when using 2 Star Champions.)

-Black Panther and Black Panther (Civil War) are two different Champions with their own abilities and skills. Once you get your hands on the latter, you'll have two versions of Black Panther to use.

We hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

I wish all kabam replies were this thorough and well written.

Good luck OP
  • Marvel2289Marvel2289 Posts: 1,008 ★★★
    The different versions of characters are completely different characters. As for your maxed 2*s, you can't make then 3*s, you have to pull 3* champions. Same with 4*s, 5*s and so on.
  • Riggs_97Riggs_97 Posts: 111
    Big tip - hit the arenas while you're still in the lower tiers. You get really good champs for putting in half the work than when your account is few months older. Take advantage while you're still young haha.
  • Marvel2289Marvel2289 Posts: 1,008 ★★★
    And the best way to get 3/4*s is to collect 3* and 4* shard crystals. The best way in doing that is to join an active alliance that participates in events