**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

At what point should you try featured 5* crystals

I only have about 15 five stars, mainly because I keep getting dupes on horrible champs from basic crystals. My question is with so much bad luck should I try for the featured crystals now? Or wait until I get more 5* champs.

Comments

• MMCskippyMMCskippy Posts: 352 ★★
    Here's where I started to "itch" for featured crystals:

I wasn't going to R4 any 5* champs until I had champs that I considered 'god tier' for my roster. If a champ needed to be duped, I wasn't going to take them to R4 unless they're duped. If I had a champ like LC or GR that didn't need to be duped, they'd go up to R4.

Initially I had a duped CM 5* that I took to R4 and then realized how scarce 2ta's are.

Then, I got to a point where I had a bunch of R3 champs that could've gone to R4, but the scarcity of resources didn't make me feel like *I* wanted to spend them. I have an older account, so a lot of my R3s are of the variety of:
    - duped Hawkeye
    - duped Rhino
    - duped Juggy
    - duped IF
    - duped Rocket
    - unduped SL
    - unduped LC
    - unduped Civil Warrior

Then I started to focus on 5* crystals with a more specific character rates (like dungeon crystals) and the featured 5* crystal.

One of my first champs out of the featured was Hype. I brought him to R4 unduped quickly.

Here's what soured me on the featured crystals: I was pulling OG champs a generation or two old. I pulled a couple of DV's and a couple of Blades from featured crystals --- ALL SOLID PULLS --- ALL WERE APPRECIATED --- NONE WERE COLOSSUS

but

I was looking more for IMIW or CAIW or Corvus or some of the "new" OG champs. So I was happy, but disappointed. I wasn't pulling the new king damage generators (which is why you're going to the featured premium cost).

That's why I think it's important to build a base of 5*s before you throw a bunch of shards at an RNG game mechanic. Get your 5* roster to a point that you can hit 5* featured arena minimum every cycle. 200 5* shards * 2 arenas per week is 1,600 5* shards per month.

I don't crazy play this game, and with 5* shards from arena and monthly events, I seem to be earning 2-3 5* shard crystals a month. The more pulls, the better your RNG for the cool champs. That's the only way to 'beat' the RNG.
  • Sixshot1Sixshot1 Posts: 459 ★★
    I strongly suggest sticking to basics for the moment. There are still an insane number of powerful 5* champs in there that can really make a difference for you, and for you, losing 5000 shards by pulling an iron man would be devastating.

I generally advise waiting for 2 things - the point when shards flow so quickly for you, you can afford to waste 5000, and seeing a featured crystal pop up with a lot of champs you want for specific reasons. For example, I opened a few of the last round of featureds because they had a lot of suicides friendly champs that I wanted.
  • LoPrestiLoPresti Posts: 1,035 ★★★
    edited February 2019
    Never. More 6 star shards from duping 5 stars. So you want to get them as cheap as possible.

Unless like 90%+ of the featured pool is good, but that will never happen
  • Noob371Noob371 Posts: 26
    Opened a basic got winter soldier:(
  • NeotwismNeotwism Posts: 1,803 ★★★★★
    @Noob371 i got lucky during the gwenpool event and pulled Winter Soldier. Put him with KM and he is a really good champ. Nothing to get disappointed over
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,045 ★★★★★
    I'd say
    if you don't need 5* dupes - go featured
    if you need some decent new champ (t2a burning for example) - make some math depending on your roster where your odds to get one are greater (atm basics' ratio of decent/trash champs is still lower, I guess)
    if you target some specific champ who's only in featured - go featured (or save till he's added in basic. can do some math as well considering you can open more basics)
    otherwise - basic all the time
  • kpkumardtskpkumardts Posts: 120
    allinashes wrote: »
    The typical answer is you need to flesh out your roster as much as possible at this stage. Once you get to 40-50 5* depending on how fast you accumulate shards, featureds can be a good investment. This is the path I followed, but I didn't get what I felt were game changers until I opened featureds.

Thanks bro i just checked my roster and i have 55 5* and i realized that no meaning of opening basics from now i should open featured crystals.
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    So I’ve got probably about 50 5*s, but up until recently only 4 were 4/55 or higher.
    Never even considered featureds because I couldn’t be bothered to save up for the most part, but then I decided to do the math and realised I had a 40% chance to pull a champ I was happy with from featured, and only about 20% from a basic, and on that note, I risked it and it paid off. So that’s when I’d say it’s worth it, when it comes out as a 1/3 or better chance at a champ that will benefit your roster
  • If there are champs in basic that would absolutely transform your account, stick to basic. Once you hit the point that legitimate account changers are primarily in the featured, start thinking about featured.

My personal stance is I only open featured with shards from cash deals. Shards I grind for are for basics only. That extra 5K is significant.
  • Animejay70Animejay70 Posts: 400 ★★★
    I agree with most of the replies. Basics will get you more 5* at your stage. as you ge more 5*, you can get more 5* shards in arena.

Right now i'm opening features because of the specific ones i want, but my 5* roster is big. If the next featured crystal isn't that good, i will go back to basics.
  • Animejay70Animejay70 Posts: 400 ★★★
    So I’ve got probably about 50 5*s, but up until recently only 4 were 4/55 or higher.
    Never even considered featureds because I couldn’t be bothered to save up for the most part, but then I decided to do the math and realised I had a 40% chance to pull a champ I was happy with from featured, and only about 20% from a basic, and on that note, I risked it and it paid off. So that’s when I’d say it’s worth it, when it comes out as a 1/3 or better chance at a champ that will benefit your roster

Good for you!. I was very unlucky with featured until this crystal. I was 0/15+ on them.
  • JChanceH9JChanceH9 Posts: 764 ★★★
    Unless there are 5+ champs I would be truly excited to pull I stick to basics. Right now all I’d really want is Aegon, and 4ish% chance isn’t enough for me to spend extra.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,281 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    Essentially, if you just want a bigger roster of interchangeable champs to grind arena with, go Basic.

If you're thinking about expanding the capabilities of your roster (rather than just adding warm bodies) , do the maths on Featured and see if it's worth it for you:

Go through the basic pool, and divide all the champions up into categories relative to your existing pool:*
    • Game-changers
    • Reasonable
    • Disappointing
    *Things you might want to consider:
    • If you have a great champ, Awakened at 5/50, is it really game-changing to pull them as a 5*?
    • If you've got a 5*champ Awakened, are an extra 20 Sig levels with it, or would they be disappointing?
    • The first time you pull a 5* like Star Lord or Hulk, they're pretty meh. The second time, they practically become a whole new champion.
    • Awakening (For example) Winter Soldier wouldn't do much for me at present, but if I was regularly questing with Killmonger, he's a much better result.
    So think about what each champion could do for you, compared with your existing champions. Add up the totals in the three categories, and multiply each by thirty.

Then do the same for the Featured crystals, but at the end, multiply up by twenty.

Now look at which group has more game-changing champions? More disappointments? Are 20 Featured crystals likely to do more for you than 30 basics? Ultimately, you're the only one who can make that decision.
  • HENRIQUE_FORTEHENRIQUE_FORTE Posts: 348 ★★
    I have some 50 5* and never opened a featured. So far I pulled Omega Red, Blade, Hawkeye (several times), Gwenpool, Sabretooth, Luke Cage, Heimdall (twice), Modok, Guillotine, Venom, Wasp, among others. So, in my opinion, there is no need to open featured, basic eventually brings great champs.

However, if I hadn't yet Blade, I might have saved for him...
  • Ch1efsterCh1efster Posts: 475 ★★★
    I told myself a while back that I wasn't going for featured crystals anymore because of the amazingly bad luck I've had with them. (Antman, OG Cap, Grootx2, Ultronx2, colossus). Decided to try this one twice so far because I had a better chance of pulling Aegon or Symbiote Supreme.

Didn't get either, but pulled IceMan and Sparky, which were in my list of champs I would be happy with. Have enough for 2 more right now, but scared to try again after the luck with the first 2.
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    Animejay70 wrote: »

Good for you!. I was very unlucky with featured until this crystal. I was 0/15+ on them.

Oof that sucks, main reason I went for the featured is that I’ve been sat on 2 tech gems for over a year and my “best” tech champ was civil warrior. From 2 featured I’ve had Darkhawk and spark so yeah 😂 paired with the magik I pulled from basic earlier this year and 2019 has already doubled my 4/55+ roster