**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Proxima Midnight Abilities Clarification Needed

DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
edited February 2019 in Bugs and Known Issues
Proxima Midnight's block reduces enemy's offensive ability accuracy by 200%. Recently someone posted video on Reddit showing Proxima Midnight successfully blocking and parrying the AI after Aspect of War made all of that AI's attacks unblockable:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ContestOfChampions/comments/arlzyh/when_aspect_of_war_goes_unblockable_proxima_is/

Map 7's global "Counterstrike" node makes the AI's attacks unblockable for 15 seconds after players use the dexterity mastery 10 times. After watching the above Reddit post's video I tried parrying the 1st Omega Red Miniboss shortly after Counterstrike made him unblockable. Proxima's parry did not register:

https://youtu.be/9X7SsVstNA4

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Vydious Can we please get some insight on the extent of Proxima Midnight's offensive ability accuracy reduction that comes with her blocking/parrying attacks? Map 7's Counterstrike node is currently bugged in that passive fury is not shown when players use the dexterity mastery. Could that mean Counterstrike's unblockable mechanics may also be bugged? Or do Aspect of War's and Counterstrike's unblockable mechanics work in different ways? If so, does the team know if Aspect of War's unblockable mechanics are offensive and Counterstrike's unblockable mechanics are defensive?

Thanks in advance for reading this post.

Comments

• ShaggyMShaggyM Posts: 258 ★★★
    Why the flag? It’s a legitimate question. Quite frankly I was wondering the same thing since her blocking was ineffective vs Rogue in CM event. Didn’t use her after I realized that, but wouldn’t mind an answer. Someone in my ally asked me the same question because I have her r2 6*. I couldn’t answer.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    More proof Map 7's Counterstrike may be bugged:

kn4r7xaqaurr.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoamazihgX4
  • After playing much proxima this also confuses me why this interaction is working how it is.

hope someone looks into it further from kabam
    Thoughts? Feels like this is it.

@UmbertoDelRio The hyperlink in this thread’s OP provides context:

tlwxpib8eqfc.png
    edited February 2019
    You can't block while using dexterity and neither can you block while attacked by an unblockable enemy. So in both these situations it seems logical that her aar doesn't influence the situation.

Sorry to respond twice, I suck at multitasking. Proxima had a buff active from using the dexterity mastery before she attempted to parry Omega Red's attack. Proxima did not attempt to parry/block while she was using the dexterity mastery. I can see how the screenshot could give this inaccurate impression. Proxima was standing still before Omega Red landed his dash attack.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,758 ★★★★★
    Different abilities, despite both giving and unblockable somehow.

Maybe that's why it doesn't work on both. Cause she shouldn't be able to do it against certain abilities that give unblockable
    Different abilities, despite both giving and unblockable somehow.

Maybe that's why it doesn't work on both. Cause she shouldn't be able to do it against certain abilities that give unblockable

@will-o-wisp That's why I asked for clarification on Aspect of War's and Counterstrike's unstoppable mechanics. I wasn't expecting an immediate response with Spider-Gwen/She-Hulk Beta testing going on and AW Season 8 being postponed. An explanation at some point would be greatly appreciated. It's not fun having to burn through high level alliance potions because a champion recommended by a developer for Map 7 Omega Red fights doesn't have her ability interactions with certain nodes clearly defined.
    You didn't really get what I was trying to say.
    After using dex and triggering the effect of counterstrike the enemy becomes unblockable period. "Being unblockable" is not the ability for which proxima can reduce the accuracy. Neither are "attacks while unblockable" an ability that could be influenced by her.
    The thing that can be influenced is the point of "becoming unblockable". You can't block while the unblockable from counterstrike is triggered, since you're using dex at that moment.
    You can however block while the timer for aspect of war runs out, reducing the ability accuracy and preventing the unblockable from triggering.

Do you understand whar I'm trying to say?

I understand. I'll address your comment systematically:

"After using dex and triggering the effect of counterstrike the enemy becomes unblockable period. "Being unblockable" is not the ability for which proxima can reduce the accuracy. Neither are "attacks while unblockable" an ability that could be influenced by her."

1) I provided video footage that disproves this statement. Once Aspect of War reduces attackers' block proficiency to 0 all enemy attacks become unblockable. The hyperlink provided in this thread's OP show Proxima Midnight both blocking and parrying Ms. Marvel's attacks after Aspect of War has made all of Marvel's attacks unblockable. The difference between Aspect of War and Counterstrike is that Aspect of War states attacks are unblockable instead of displaying an unblockable buff.

2) An MCOC YouTuber posted video footage of Proxima Midnight parrying Hydra Adaptoid during last year's Red Skull quest when Hydra Adaptoid had less than 25% health. Hydra Adaptoid had Unblockable Finale for that fight. Proxima Midnight was still able to parry Hydra Adaptoid despite all of his attacks being unblockable when he has less than 25% health:

1t205r4fd2cl.png
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ContestOfChampions/comments/948lvp/proxima_ignores_adaptoid_unblockable_in/

"The thing that can be influenced is the point of "becoming unblockable". You can't block while the unblockable from counterstrike is triggered, since you're using dex at that moment."

1) Proxima attempted to parry Omega Red while standing still. She had a critical buff active from previously using dexterity, she was not using the dexterity mastery when she attempted to parry Omega Red. Slow motion video supports this statement:

https://youtu.be/ZmN7JRLS984

"You can however block while the timer for aspect of war runs out, reducing the ability accuracy and preventing the unblockable from triggering."

1) The video shown from the hyperlink in this thread's OP seems to contradict this statement. I may be interpreting this statement incorrectly because I've haven't seen a developer/moderator or player make this claim before.

Map 7's Counterstrike has been confirmed to be bugged in that fury buffs are not displayed when players use the dexterity mastery. I'd asked in this thread's OP if Counterstrike's fury bug could be indicative of Counterstrike's unblockable also being bugged. This thread is merely speculation until we hear from a developer who is familiar with Proxima's and Unblockable's code and intended mechanics. @UmbertoDelRio Hope my response more accurately addressed your comments.
    Review land enjoys stealing my comments, posting my response again because ctrl-C is the forum's MVP:
    You didn't really get what I was trying to say.
    After using dex and triggering the effect of counterstrike the enemy becomes unblockable period. "Being unblockable" is not the ability for which proxima can reduce the accuracy. Neither are "attacks while unblockable" an ability that could be influenced by her.
    The thing that can be influenced is the point of "becoming unblockable". You can't block while the unblockable from counterstrike is triggered, since you're using dex at that moment.
    You can however block while the timer for aspect of war runs out, reducing the ability accuracy and preventing the unblockable from triggering.

Do you understand whar I'm trying to say?

I understand. I'll address your comment systematically:

"After using dex and triggering the effect of counterstrike the enemy becomes unblockable period. "Being unblockable" is not the ability for which proxima can reduce the accuracy. Neither are "attacks while unblockable" an ability that could be influenced by her."

1) I provided video footage that disproves this statement. Once Aspect of War reduces attackers' block proficiency to 0 all enemy attacks become unblockable. The hyperlink provided in this thread's OP show Proxima Midnight both blocking and parrying Ms. Marvel's attacks after Aspect of War has made all of Marvel's attacks unblockable. The difference between Aspect of War and Counterstrike is that Aspect of War states attacks are unblockable instead of displaying an unblockable buff.

2) An MCOC YouTuber posted video footage of Proxima Midnight parrying Hydra Adaptoid during last year's Red Skull quest when Hydra Adaptoid had less than 25% health. Hydra Adaptoid had Unblockable Finale for that fight. Proxima Midnight was still able to parry Hydra Adaptoid despite all of his attacks being unblockable when he has less than 25% health:

1t205r4fd2cl.png
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ContestOfChampions/comments/948lvp/proxima_ignores_adaptoid_unblockable_in/

"The thing that can be influenced is the point of "becoming unblockable". You can't block while the unblockable from counterstrike is triggered, since you're using dex at that moment."

1) Proxima attempted to parry Omega Red while standing still. She had a critical buff active from previously using dexterity, she was not using the dexterity mastery when she attempted to parry Omega Red. Slow motion video supports this statement:

https://youtu.be/ZmN7JRLS984

"You can however block while the timer for aspect of war runs out, reducing the ability accuracy and preventing the unblockable from triggering."

1) The video shown from the hyperlink in this thread's OP seems to contradict this statement. I may be interpreting this statement incorrectly because I've haven't seen a developer/moderator or player make this claim before.

Map 7's Counterstrike has been confirmed to be bugged in that fury buffs are not displayed when players use the dexterity mastery. I'd asked in this thread's OP if Counterstrike's fury bug could be indicative of Counterstrike's unblockable also being bugged. This thread is merely speculation until we hear from a developer who is familiar with Proxima's and Unblockable's code and intended mechanics. @UmbertoDelRio Hope my response more accurately addressed your comments.
    This thread is merely speculation until we hear from a developer who is familiar with Proxima's and Unblockable's code and intended mechanics.

Replace Unblockable's with Counterstrike's, I'm not risking losing this the above comment to review again
    Thank you very much for your thorough reply, I really appreciate that!

It is very well possible that this interaction is a bug. It is also possible that it is working as intended with no understandable reason behind it.

Just to clarify: my goal wasn't to stirr anything up, to wisecrack, or anything like that. And I also wasn't trying to be rude or anything - and I apologize if I was in your eyes - since everyone has his own standard regarding that.
    (I've recently been warned, so I'm trying to be nicer)

Maybe I can be a more valuable part of this discussion, if there's a proxima in my next 5* crystal.

I didn't get any impressions your goal was to stir things up, nor did I read anything you wrote as being rude. IMO deliberation over MCOC is what the forum is for. I had to think over the last part of your comment I responded to in my previous post for a few minutes, I'd never heard someone speak of Proxima's abilities that way and that caused me to re-evaluate parts of my OP. We'll see what's actually going on with Proxima's ability interactions with Counterstrike when a moderator or developer address this thread.