**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Colossus’ Critical Damage Cap Isn’t Working

Doc_Manhattan93Doc_Manhattan93 Posts: 14
edited November 2019 in Bugs and Known Issues
Hi everyone, I apologize for my poor English.

I own a 5/65 Colossus and I am generally very happy with his restyling.

Besides being very powerful from an offensive point of view, I seemed to understand that he should also be an excellent defender, especially thanks to the limitation of the damage of opponent’s critical hits.

The new spotlight reports:

"Damage is capped at 150% of the opponent's attack rating.
Each time this damage is hit, the duration of all Armor up buffs are refreshed and he has a 50% chance to gain another Armor up buff lasting 15 seconds.”

I think this mechanic is not working and to be more precise I think that at the moment the game considers the CURRENT level of the opponent's attack and not the BASIC one.

I did tests and screenshots to clarify the concept:

2-star Starlord’s basic attack: 124
So 150% of it would be: 124+62 = 186

First of all, although the fight was really long, Starlord's critical hits increased the potency apparently without any limits;
furthermore, I think I have reached (and exceeded) the 150% limit of my basic attack several times, and Colossus has NEVER generated additional armor up buffs.

So I think the answers can be two:

1. this protection is not working as intended (friends told me about 20k critical hits against Colossus with characters like Ghost);

2. the game considers the CURRENT value of the opponent's attack and not the BASIC one, which would be rather absurd considering that in 90% of the cases the increase of critical hits’ potency derives from passive or active furies mechanics, which by definition increase also basic attack.

I am very interested in understanding this mechanic in detail, because I noticed that, in spite of practically all his abilities, Colosso remains a defender quite easy to knock out even without using the “mystical neutralizers” (for example, my opponents in the last wars demolished my 5/65 one without any difficulty using Domino and Corvus Glaive even on perfect nodes for him).

Thank you for your attention and for any replies.

Comments

• WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    It doesn't say the opponents base attack rating so it would make sense that it actually caps the modified attack rating whether it be from SL's combo, fury, nodes etc...
  • Doc_Manhattan93Doc_Manhattan93 Posts: 14
    edited November 2019
    That’s what I fear.

But with all respect it would make no sense, because it would mean that this protection is almost never activated.

Almost every powerful critical hit is caused by increased attack rating.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

That’s what I fear.

But with all respect it would make no sense, because it would mean that this protection is almost never activated.

Eh, ghost and corvus both get their largest increases from cruelty buff which increase the critical damage multiplier. Taking that and his armor break immunity besides against techs, and I'd say that those are more the types of champs he's meant to give problems to
    edited November 2019

That’s what I fear.

Eh, ghost and corvus both get their largest increases from cruelty buff which increase the critical damage multiplier. Taking that and his armor break immunity besides against techs, and I'd say that those are more the types of champs he's meant to give problems to
    So just Corvus considering that Ghost can generate furies.

And Corvus with boosts and suicides can easily beat him anyway... such a disappointment.

• LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    prbbaly more than just corvus, I can see it affecting domino as well, or anyone with a high crit modifier.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★

That’s what I fear.

I’d rather it be that, that way he’s a great attacker but a defensive pushover
  • Lvernon15 said:

That’s what I fear.

I’d rather it be that, that way he’s a great attacker but a defensive pushover
    I would have preferred to see him well balanced between attack and defense, that’s all

• BendyBendy Posts: 3,347 ★★★★★
    I think it's not as my sl r5 sig 200 can do 6k crit on a colos in this uc that by far isnt 150% that is normal damage this defo needs checking for sl due to his ramp up damage
    edited November 2019

Hey there, I was able to verify with the team that it should be working off of the modified attack rating, so it looks like it is functioning properly.

Thank you for the reply, but it makes me very sad.

This means that 90% of the game's hard-hitting champions will still be able to destroy him very easily.
    What a disappointment.

Critical resistance always be the “missing feature” of this beatiful champ... and it’s still like that.
  • zeezee57 said:

It doesn't make sense to cap with base attack or fighting Colossus in endgame content would be brutal. Anyone not running suicides would never be able to do much higher than 5k damage in a single hit, when facing 250k+ health pools that doesn't make for a fun experience imo. Honestly as someone using an R4 Colossus I'd much rather it this way since almost every time it will matter is when I'm fighting against him not as him.

Physical resistance is a skill like any other.

Red Skull, Ironman IW, Doctor Doom, Killmonger, Sentinel (just to name a few) are all excellent examples of characters who, thanks to their high resistance, extend the duration of each fight.
    It has always been this way and nobody has complained, why should the most tough mutant of the Marvel universe be an exception?

All characters with high armor have weaknesses: for Killmonger and Emma Frost are armor breaks, for Sentinel are Cosmic Champs, True Damage or specific gameplay, for Red Skull are neutralizers, for Doom are DOT, etc ...

Same for Colossus: he's not immune to poison and shock, he also has no protection against neutralization.

He wouldn't have been too much OP
    He would have been simply Colossus.