Silver surfer...the biggest disappointment of 2019

CodeOmegaCodeOmega Member Posts: 201 ★★★
Let’s break this character down. Overall the best thing he has going for him is his amazing prestige. If you’re not in a top ally, you probably don’t care too much. Overall if you play him well and rotate the buffs, his damage output is mediocre. He is not suicide friendly at all, but his immunities to shock and incinerate allow him to take on freezer burn and shock nodes. He is definitely no god, (probably a high demigod) using Seatin’s tier list. The problem with this champ is that he just causes disappointment after all the hype surrounding him. People have wanted Ss in game since it’s release, and being teased again and again and getting this mediocre champion was not an exciting prospect. Overall, not a bad champ. The expectations just didn’t live up to the final product.

Comments

• designsodadesignsoda Member Posts: 118

Also keep in mind Kabam hyped this character a year in advance. Expectations were being set high by Kabam themselves.

Kabam teased. You did the hyping.
    Riiiiight.
  • XxLoganTDCxXXxLoganTDCxX Member Posts: 2,561 ★★★★
    I am making my usual Champ Reviews as normal. Expect Silver Surfer soon.
  • XxLoganTDCxXXxLoganTDCxX Member Posts: 2,561 ★★★★

If everything matched everybody's expectations we'd have 120+ OP God Tier champs. I personally love Silver Surfer from the comics and I'm obviously disappointed he's underwhelming but hey what can you do, they can't all be Corvus or Cap Marvel.

fyi nobody liked Corvus when he initially came out either lol not saying Surfer is that level, just a funny observation.

Nobody said that they think every champ would be god Tier.
    If they were all god tier, there wouldn't be a god tier (technically)
    But Silver Surfer is a huge fan favorite, and he has been teased for a year now.
  • issamaf80issamaf80 Member Posts: 1,472 ★★★

If everything matched everybody's expectations we'd have 120+ OP God Tier champs. I personally love Silver Surfer from the comics and I'm obviously disappointed he's underwhelming but hey what can you do, they can't all be Corvus or Cap Marvel.

fyi nobody liked Corvus when he initially came out either lol not saying Surfer is that level, just a funny observation.

Nobody said that they think every champ would be god Tier.
    If they were all god tier, there wouldn't be a god tier (technically)
    But Silver Surfer is a huge fan favorite, and he has been teased for a year now.
    yeah what about the sentryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • AnkalagonnAnkalagonn Member Posts: 535 ★★
    It's kinda well known that high prestige champs are just "ok" champs. That has been the pattern since almost the beginning of the time. I remember Phoenix when she came out.

I am currently underwhelmed with Surfer but if I'm being honest, I felt the same way about Doom and Claire initially.
    Kabam has learned the art of developing characters who are nuanced and have depth in their playstyle. The developers have gone on record as saying nobody has figured out how to tap into the true potential of Doc Ock and Elsa Bloodstone yet.
    Hopefully Silver Surfer falls in that category.

Yeah I'm hopeful there are depths to explore here. And kudos to developers that have designed characters that take some thinking to unlock their full potential.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

Mike it's fair enough that different characters have different uses. And hyping up characters isn't bad. Isn't that part of Kabam's job? But saying you didn't hype a character by pointing out he's been a part of the story all year long? Huh? That makes no sense.

Anyway it's not the end of the world either way. It is what it is.

I dont remember Kabam ever hyping Silver Surfers abilities and gameplay. They hyped his arrival, never his utility.
  • NiteAndDaeNiteAndDae Member Posts: 670 ★★★
    I think he is fine, considering the high prestige (think Thor Ragnarok). He is balanced in that he does well for a few things, and so-so for others. If he was the highest prestige and crushed everything, what would be the point of other champs? The heavy phase mechanic is something new and could have loads of uses. Can he phase through a special 1,2 or 3?
  • RoninManRoninMan Member Posts: 747 ★★★★

It's kinda well known that high prestige champs are just "ok" champs. That has been the pattern since almost the beginning of the time. I remember Phoenix when she came out.

Except Doom completely counters that argument.
    KattohS said:

Sooo every champ released now has to be “god tier” status??

No
  • RiderofHellRiderofHell Member Posts: 4,613 ★★★★★
    KattohS said:

Sooo every champ released now has to be “god tier” status??

Imagine when the planet eater arrives.

As a NPC no less lol
  • MaxtheSilentMaxtheSilent Member Posts: 822 ★★★★
    I think most people are going to be happy pulling or awakening a Silver Surfer. Once pulled I don't think he'll sit on the shelf either. He may not be the go to guy but few champs are. I think it's a win if you can reasonably play decent amounts of content with a character you love. I played around with an awakened 3* today and I think Surfer meets that standard assuming you pull one at a tier equal to your game progression.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,361 Guardian
    Axo4545 said:

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that your are disappointed in the Silver Surfer Champion. While we understand that everybody has expectations for every new Character that is added, we are not going to be able to live up to the expectations for everybody. Every Character is somebody's favourite, and we always do our best to make Characters that everybody can be excited about, but will not be able to hit that mark for everybody.

Different Characters and their Kits will appeal to different players, some will be more useful to people in certain progression points than others.

We didn't mean to "hype" him, and I don't think we really did. He's been a part of the Story all year long, and has shown up as part of it.

It's not about every character being god tier but it seems that whenever you add a champ that clearly should be god tier
    There's your problem right there.

The devs don't deliberately aim champions to be "god tier" or "meme tier." They aim them all at the same general level of overall performance. Circumstantially, no champion ever lands on the bullseye, and they don't spend time trying to make any of them perfect. Any champion that lands within a radius of tolerance around the bullseye is "close enough" and they move on. It would be nice if that radius was a bit smaller, but that's neither here nor there.

No one decides that Sentry is going to be weak and Blade is going to be strong. They decide that Blade and Sentry are going to be different from the previously existing champs, and sometimes those differences work out better than others. But they can't, and really shouldn't, be putting their fingers on the scales to make the champs that "should be" god tier into more powerful champs than everything else. It is hard enough putting every champion in the same zip code.

You say "If you can give a viable reason why this is the case I would love to hear it, and game balancing isn't it because you can balance the game and still do the characters justice and if the game was balanced every champ would be exactly the same power level." But that is the only answer the game devs can possibly give you, because how game developers "balance" games is not anything remotely resembling what you seem to be implying. There is no other answer, so if that answer can't satisfy you, no answer can.