**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Re-Parry unintended?

JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
The announcement was a little unclear, will reparry stay or be phased out? Also, if it was unintended why is it part of the monthly event quest global nodes for the guardian tags? Will these nodes be addressed before we see them again?

Comments

• Scarcity27Scarcity27 Posts: 1,906 ★★★★★

From what I understand, re-parry wasn't supposed to work (or, I suspect, it initially didn't occur to them that it was possible), but seeing as how people liked it, and started using it more and more, they decided to just let it be.

I feel like it was just something that popped up as something we could do, and Kabam thought “oh wow we didn’t know that would be a function that worked with our design, cool!”

I may be wrong but that’s how I read it
    Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. I think that they designed parry to work on well timed blocks, and then assumed that well timed blocks would basically happen with opponents dashing in. They didn't realize we could re-parry and stun them, and even though it wasn't their intention, they let it be in the game.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Malreck04 said:

From what I understand, re-parry wasn't supposed to work (or, I suspect, it initially didn't occur to them that it was possible), but seeing as how people liked it, and started using it more and more, they decided to just let it be.

I feel like it was just something that popped up as something we could do, and Kabam thought “oh wow we didn’t know that would be a function that worked with our design, cool!”

That is basically what it says, there really isn’t much to cause confusion. It’s one of those situations where letting the masses know less is better, considering it’s not being affected
    Perhaps, but I was just commenting since I have already seen people panicking in group chats as if re-parry was going to be taken away. Not that I think Kabam should (or could) have made it clearer, just to clarify for anyone worried.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. I think that they designed parry to work on well timed blocks, and then assumed that well timed blocks would basically happen with opponents dashing in. They didn't realize we could re-parry and stun them, and even though it wasn't their intention, they let it be in the game.
    Yes of course, I was replying to you as an addition, not a contradiction :)

Yes of course, I was replying to you as an addition, not a contradiction :)
    Ah, I see. You worded it much better than I did.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    The full sentence ends with " we worked to keep it in the game"

As in, after they saw how useful it is, they did some " schimadigums" to include it as a feature
  • OdachiOdachi Posts: 1,064 ★★★★
    "new unintended interactions may arise that some players may actually like"

I think that means new techniques, they just used reparry as an example
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★

As in, after they saw how useful it is, they did some " schimadigums" to include it as a feature

Those aren’t the words I’m concerned about, clearly they say they may remove features for the health of the game. No one can say reparry doesn’t come up again in topics for the health of the game.

My second point was if reparry was unintended why would we see nodes that benefit the feature? Does this not reap bad behaviours?

Disagree all y’all want, I know I’m not the only one thinking about this.
    Jaded said:

Those aren’t the words I’m concerned about, clearly they say they may remove features for the health of the game. No one can say reparry doesn’t come up again in topics for the health of the game.

My second point was if reparry was unintended why would we see nodes that benefit the feature? Does this not reap bad behaviours?

They say that due to the input system fixes (not sure about the terminology) there may be some new unintended interactions, which we may find beneficial. They say they will take our stance into account as to whether those features are kept or not, because some of them may be broken OP mechanics.

From what I understand, they are not going to alter any existing features (the ones that aren't bugged) but will have to make a decision on future interactions that arise due to the input fix.

I think re-parry is quite an old mechanic now (assuming it's as old as parry itself), so at first they were a bit concerned about it, but ultimately let it be in the game as a proper mechanic, which is also why there are now nodes that benefit the use of re-parry.
    Jaded said:

They said they'll remove changes that affect the health as a consequence of the changes they will be implementing in March.

And as it has been said again, even though it was an unintended bug, they have made it a feature in the game so why should they not take advantage of game features?

The only ones who can claim "bad behaviour " are Kabam. If they say it's okay to do so , it's okay.

Not just let it be, but any time there's a change that affects Re-Parry, we've worked to make sure that it stays in. It's not easy sometimes, but as a mechanic that people have come to rely on, we've tried our best to keep it in play.
    There you have your answer . It's not going anywhere but actually kept in the game when it could be removed
    Cheers for the reply @Kabam Miike and thanks to the game team for working to keep re-parry in the game.
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,034 ★★★★★
    i don't know how to do it so this doesn't affect me lol
  • mostlyharmlessnmostlyharmlessn Posts: 1,387 ★★★★
    edited January 2022
    Parry and Re-Parry were sitting on a fence.... sounds like the start of a really bag joke...
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★

Not just let it be, but any time there's a change that affects Re-Parry, we've worked to make sure that it stays in. It's not easy sometimes, but as a mechanic that people have come to rely on, we've tried our best to keep it in play.
    There you have your answer . It's not going anywhere but actually kept in the game when it could be removed
    Yes, this is more of what I was looking to hear but then it does come up that if something changes and they can’t keep reparry due to the health of the game.

I also wonder if reparry was unintended feature what other unintended features do we use regularly that might be on the chopping block? But hopefully if anything comes up we get a decent discussion beforehand.
  • mostlyharmlessnmostlyharmlessn Posts: 1,387 ★★★★
    edited January 2022
    Jaded said:

Yes, this is more of what I was looking to hear but then it does come up that if something changes and they can’t keep reparry due to the health of the game.

I also wonder if reparry was unintended feature what other unintended features do we use regularly that might be on the chopping block? But hopefully if anything comes up we get a decent discussion beforehand.
    The one thing to keep in mind, anything which came around as a side effect can disappear at any time. Ex: The side effect of Drax's 6 hit and Mordo's astral evade.

Even though they say now the intent is to keep it, this can change at any time like how a "Frame Rate Fix" altered how Drax in such a way he now is pushed backwards when an autoevader evades him,
    Jaded said:

This statement makes as much sense as " will they remove parry from the game due to health of the game".

The solution is stun immune.
  • Liss_Bliss_Liss_Bliss_ Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    Jaded said:

The announcement was a little unclear, will reparry stay or be phased out? Also, if it was unintended why is it part of the monthly event quest global nodes for the guardian tags? Will these nodes be addressed before we see them again?

What announcement?
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,655 ★★★★★
    edited January 2022

Jaded said:

What announcement?
    3rd para from bottom.
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/294847/input-system-update-january-2022-progress-report#latest
  • spigwenderspigwender Posts: 473 ★★★

Jaded said:

They say that due to the input system fixes (not sure about the terminology) there may be some new unintended interactions, which we may find beneficial. They say they will take our stance into account as to whether those features are kept or not, because some of them may be broken OP mechanics.

From what I understand, they are not going to alter any existing features (the ones that aren't bugged) but will have to make a decision on future interactions that arise due to the input fix.

I think re-parry is quite an old mechanic now (assuming it's as old as parry itself), so at first they were a bit concerned about it, but ultimately let it be in the game as a proper mechanic, which is also why there are now nodes that benefit the use of re-parry.
    I have been using it for a long time, back before it was even known as “Re-parry”. Back when I was a noob and I would bait heavy attacks against stun immune opponents, like Iceman with armor or stun immune nodes, I would do “re-parry” to minimize block damage. Every bit of health saved was worth it.
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,153 ★★★★★
    As being a scrub in parrying, I was a reparry god before it became common knowledge.
    Reparry emerged after super bugged update where many game mechanics got changed. ForEx. the NC switch trick.
    Cmm was the boss that month, March/April '19.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Reparry is something happened in the game few years ago, and some YT even teach player how to re-parry (like Dorky, UKM, etc.).

Reparry is actually something important nowadays esp when parry is not functioned well due to input error.