**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Control

What are control champions?
Offensive are for attack,
Defensive for defense, what are control for?
Then i find control: denial, I want to know all about these category listings

Comments

• Options
    imnooneimnoone Posts: 316 ★★
    huh?
    Not sure what you're asking.
  • Options
    420sam420sam Posts: 526 ★★★
    imnoone wrote: »
    huh?
    Not sure what you're asking.

The descriptions for the champions. It refers to whether they are meant to be offense, defense, villain, hero, etc. I think control is meaning your power control champs.
  • Options
    Could you explain more?
  • Options
    JuggerneyksJuggerneyks Posts: 275 ★★
    edited December 2017
    power control champs have abilities like power drain and power lock, to control the enemies special bar by either locking it in place or draining it so they must restart gaining special power back
  • Options
    Oh.. Thanks
  • Options
    VIKING987 wrote: »

Hey there, thought I'd step in to give some extra info on this. Control: Denial Champs are more focused on preventing their opponent from doing something, so they may do things like Power Locking/Draining their opponent. Champions with the other Control tag, Control: Counter, are more about turning off something their opponent has already done or punishing their opponent for trying to do something, such as Guillotine reversing an opponent's Healing effects.

These two can be similar since they both fall under the Control category and some Champions could be considered either, but that's are generally what those tags mean.

Seeing the bigger picture what are Control champions meant for?
  • Options
    IAmNotUrMomIAmNotUrMom Posts: 648 ★★★

Hey there, thought I'd step in to give some extra info on this. Control: Denial Champs are more focused on preventing their opponent from doing something, so they may do things like Power Locking/Draining their opponent. Champions with the other Control tag, Control: Counter, are more about turning off something their opponent has already done or punishing their opponent for trying to do something, such as Guillotine reversing an opponent's Healing effects.

These two can be similar since they both fall under the Control category and some Champions could be considered either, but that's are generally what those tags mean.

They serve as a great way to limit the abilities of other champs. Guillotine reverses the regeneration of champs with a regeneration (healing ability) this making the match easier to win.

Power locking is a great way to control the power gain ability of some champs thus making it easier to avoid taking a KO from their third special attack.
  • Options

I think you have a misconception. The tags suggest what the champ is good at, not what they are supposed to "do." In other words, I think you believe that if the champion is tagged "Defense" it should be placed on defense in AW. That's not true. It means that the champ has defensive tools. Take Wolverine. He's tagged Defensive because he has an obvious strong defensive ability. He can regenerate a lot of damage. But that doesn't mean he's necessarily intended specifically to be placed on defense: he is a very good champion for players to use on attack or "offensively" if you like.

Wolverine's defensive ability helps players when using him on offense as a sustainable champ which is what the players call a champion that can "sustain" a long path on a map without dying or needing potions. Regeneration helps you do that. Captain America is another good champ that is tagged Defensive but is a good champ to use on attack because his defensive ability helps players block incoming damage when they attack.

Bottom line: the tags are used by the developers to indicate what kinds of abilities the champion has. But those are just tools. A good attack champion needs offensive abilities, defensive abilities, and control abilities. The tag just says what that champion's specialty is.

When players talk about champion roles they don't use terms like "offensive," "defensive," and "control." They talk about defensive (placement) champs, and attacking champs, and the good attackers are broken down into high damage, good sustainability, strong power control, defensive ability accuracy reducers, and terms like that.

A good "place on defense" champion is not one that necessarily has the strongest defensive abilities or is tagged defense. A good "place on defense" champion is one that when played by the computer AI is the hardest for players to deal with. Magik is tagged "Control" and Iceman is tagged "Offensive" but both are good "place on defense" champions. Why? Both have hard to avoid damage (Limbo and Coldsnap respectively) that will eat away at attacking players without suitable counters. Both are not trivially easy to kill. Both have some interesting and nasty abilities that AW maps can sometimes magnify, especially if you're not experienced with facing them (Magik on regen boost for example).

To answer your question, most (but not all) Control tagged champions that have strong control are likely best used on offense to deal with nasty enemies that have nasty abilities you want to neutralize. For example, power control champs can in some cases prevent the opponet from every using special attacks because they will lack the power to do so. If you're facing an opponent whose biggest threat is in their specials or who gains a lot of power quickly and can kill you with their special three attack, a power control champion can fllip the fight in your favor. Other kinds of control champs have strengths in other areas you have to learn through experience how to best leverage them.