Gifting Event - Rich get richer

2

Comments

  • IsItthoughIsItthough Posts: 253 ★★
    Truth be told I wasn't a fan of the move by seatin or Lags, but I understood it. Why not, what I didn't care for is the obscene amount of GGC they opened as videos to share. While they have both spent a lot, it was hard not look at it as COW's money as once they got there, they both had giant 30+ openings. Now once again, I like both and think both are some of the more skilled I watched. But it did seem a little chest beating and uncalled for it. No one can really win this game as a f2p, but you can also never really lose that way. However when you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on digital content you have no right to and can be stripped with no reason, you've already lost. No reason to hate on Content Creators for making the most out of sour situation.
  • DalBotDalBot Posts: 1,250 ★★★★
    IsItthough wrote: »
    Truth be told I wasn't a fan of the move by seatin or Lags, but I understood it. Why not, what I didn't care for is the obscene amount of GGC they opened as videos to share. While they have both spent a lot, it was hard not look at it as COW's money as once they got there, they both had giant 30+ openings. Now once again, I like both and think both are some of the more skilled I watched. But it did seem a little chest beating and uncalled for it. No one can really win this game as a f2p, but you can also never really lose that way. However when you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on digital content you have no right to and can be stripped with no reason, you've already lost. No reason to hate on Content Creators for making the most out of sour situation.

    What it was is the gaming equivalent of spending a sugar daddies money. These guys signed up for this alliance just so they could get rewards from the big spender in exchange for him getting to have his name in bright and shiny lights.
  • mum_m2mum_m2 Posts: 1,762 ★★★
    you want it to stop, but you want to play the game. those two don't go hand in hand. That's the truth.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 8,819 ★★★★★
    Rixob wrote: »
    Soooo when i looked at the rewards for the gifting event i was like woahhhhh those look amazing!
    Then i watched some Cowhale videos and got really discouraged lol.

    Let me be clear, the rewards are great! Even for those who only had a few hundred units. Really useful and fun stuff in the crystals and the milestone rewards. I am not knocking that at all.

    The only concern i have, is making those top rewards so juicy and game changing. Yes, you can argue to save up your units for this event but we all know it wouldnt have been enough to compete with the top.

    My entire point of this thread is that when will it stop? There used to be a peak in this game, 1 R5 5*, then 2, then 3, then 6*.
    Now there is nooooo limit to how big your roster can be, the only thing you cant do is R3 a 6*. (coming soon)

    The gap between those who are free to play, and pay to win is growing rapidly and i dont think i can keep up.

    This is coming from a free to play player with no time for areana.
    There used to be a time where skill could get you almostttttt the same thing cash can.
    Ladies and Gents, that time is long gone. MCOC has fully turned into pay to play, if you wanna be competitive.

    So what about to players with the best skill, but no $?????
    lol yes thats me

    Kabam is a for profit company. That's isnt any secret. The gifting event is geared towards that. This game has been pay to win for years. Mostly when LoL was introduced.

    The gifting event is 100% pay to win to get top rewards. Unless you saved every unit from day 1 after the last gifting event, no amount of arena is going to earn you the number 1 spot. The gifting event doesnt involve using any skill either. Im not even sure why that's in the post.

    The game is free and you can do well without spending. Brian Grant is a perfect example. Is he behind P.T.P players? Sure but he has a deep roster even without spending.

    Apply your logic to the real world, are you getting all up in arms when you have celebs and other 1%'ers dropping millions on houses and cars that you might want? Does it make it unfair because they have the money and you don't?

    If you arent going to be competing against those at the top, it really doesn't matter what rewards they get. Its the same for any game you play. If you arent going to do EVERYTHING you can to win, you can't complain about others that do.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    If you're F2P and you enjoy playing the game, you should be thrilled that other people spend money. The day this game doesn't make enough profit, it goes away.

  • DalBotDalBot Posts: 1,250 ★★★★
    Drooped2 wrote: »

    And? I fail to see your point seatin accepts sponsorships
    (Selling out)
    Lagacy accepts gifts to help him.in game all year round.

    I fail to see this as a surprise

    Its like the difference between a politician taking small donations from supporters vs selling out to a corporate entity with all of the accompanying entitlement.

    I get some people will do anything to get ahead, just not my cup of tea and if I choose to lose respect for people who do that it's my choice to do such.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 8,819 ★★★★★
    DalBot wrote: »
    Drooped2 wrote: »

    And? I fail to see your point seatin accepts sponsorships
    (Selling out)
    Lagacy accepts gifts to help him.in game all year round.

    I fail to see this as a surprise

    Its like the difference between a politician taking small donations from supporters vs selling out to a corporate entity with all of the accompanying entitlement.

    I get some people will do anything to get ahead, just not my cup of tea and if I choose to lose respect for people who do that it's my choice to do such.

    So any free items given to you in calendars and in game messages, you dont use because that's the same as what Lagacy is doing if he accepts gifts? By that standard, we've all sold out then.
  • G0311G0311 Posts: 872 ★★★
    Rixob wrote: »
    Soooo when i looked at the rewards for the gifting event i was like woahhhhh those look amazing!
    Then i watched some Cowhale videos and got really discouraged lol.

    Let me be clear, the rewards are great! Even for those who only had a few hundred units. Really useful and fun stuff in the crystals and the milestone rewards. I am not knocking that at all.

    The only concern i have, is making those top rewards so juicy and game changing. Yes, you can argue to save up your units for this event but we all know it wouldnt have been enough to compete with the top.

    My entire point of this thread is that when will it stop? There used to be a peak in this game, 1 R5 5*, then 2, then 3, then 6*.
    Now there is nooooo limit to how big your roster can be, the only thing you cant do is R3 a 6*. (coming soon)

    The gap between those who are free to play, and pay to win is growing rapidly and i dont think i can keep up.

    This is coming from a free to play player with no time for areana.
    There used to be a time where skill could get you almostttttt the same thing cash can.
    Ladies and Gents, that time is long gone. MCOC has fully turned into pay to play, if you wanna be competitive.

    So what about to players with the best skill, but no $?????
    lol yes thats me

    the Richer get richer is a quote used by the lazy and unmotivated Just a cliche. once again you're not competing with anybody's account if you don't want to use cash or you don't have any cash with your problem I've been working since I was 15 I don't know how old you are I hope you're like a twelve-year-old because if you're a grown man who has no money to spend on this game that's a big problem. in life the best things cost money how do you get this money ,you work really hard, you invent something , develop a special skill, something unique. you're not going to get anywhere flipping burgers at McDonald's no matter how much you cry for $15 an hour .life lesson my friend.
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,319 ★★★★
    Simple solution for all the complaining about gifting event.
    1- spend like they do during the event
    2- quit because you aren't getting the same rewards for 1% of what they spent
    3- just enjoy the game and stop worrying about keeping up with the big spenders.

    There has been no permanent content added that cannot be beat with skills and patience. The champ they received isn't a game changer it's a trophy for who can spend the most real currency on an electronic game.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 2,079 ★★★★
    So being honest, the t5b is the true reward. 1 6*, 1 5*, and thanos are largely meaningless (though would be cool). That gives those people 1 extra 5/65 champ. I have 6 of them, if someone has 7 or 8, they can likely place a tougher defense. However, skill is still BY FAR the most important thing. MMX finished 2nd, we crushed them everytime we play em. We'd crush cow30 obviously. It's not till you get to ny718 at number 8 do you have a top alliance that got better rewards then the top 5%, and they got an extra 6* t5b shards. All of the complaining is MASSIVELY overblown, and i'm very happy that those alliances spend thousands on this stuff. (for disclosure, i'm in 4loki, we were top 5% in gifting).
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 10,665 Guardian
    IsItthough wrote: »
    However when you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on digital content you have no right to and can be stripped with no reason, you've already lost.

    When you are at the point where you are deciding which players have lost the game, it might be time to consider other hobbies.

    When I spend money on a movie theater ticket, I'm not spending money to buy a movie that they then take away when I leave. I spend money for the experience of watching a movie in a theater. That's all I get, and that's all I pay for. Every cent I've ever spend on this game has been on improving my game play experience, something that I always got and no one can take away. I do not spend money on "digital content you have no right to and can be stripped with no reason" because I have no right to buy it in the first place.

    I genuinely do not understand how this brain bug gets locked into people's minds, but I keep hearing people say that people are "buying" things that they "don't own." By definition you can't buy something you don't end up owning, that's the definition of buying things. Why it is so hard for people to make the very tiny mental leap to realize that if you can't own it, you can't buy it, so you must be spending money for other reasons, is in all seriousness very inexplicable.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 10,665 Guardian
    DalBot wrote: »
    I get some people will do anything to get ahead, just not my cup of tea and if I choose to lose respect for people who do that it's my choice to do such.

    You can choose to respect people or disrespect them for any reason whatsoever, because that's a choice no one has any power over. However, that's independent from pointing out those reasons appear irrational and contradictory. You have the right to express any opinion you want, but that right doesn't come with the right to not be challenged on any of them. That's a right you explicitly do not have on these forums.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 10,665 Guardian
    G0311 wrote: »
    Rixob wrote: »
    Soooo when i looked at the rewards for the gifting event i was like woahhhhh those look amazing!
    Then i watched some Cowhale videos and got really discouraged lol.

    Let me be clear, the rewards are great! Even for those who only had a few hundred units. Really useful and fun stuff in the crystals and the milestone rewards. I am not knocking that at all.

    The only concern i have, is making those top rewards so juicy and game changing. Yes, you can argue to save up your units for this event but we all know it wouldnt have been enough to compete with the top.

    My entire point of this thread is that when will it stop? There used to be a peak in this game, 1 R5 5*, then 2, then 3, then 6*.
    Now there is nooooo limit to how big your roster can be, the only thing you cant do is R3 a 6*. (coming soon)

    The gap between those who are free to play, and pay to win is growing rapidly and i dont think i can keep up.

    This is coming from a free to play player with no time for areana.
    There used to be a time where skill could get you almostttttt the same thing cash can.
    Ladies and Gents, that time is long gone. MCOC has fully turned into pay to play, if you wanna be competitive.

    So what about to players with the best skill, but no $?????
    lol yes thats me

    the Richer get richer is a quote used by the lazy and unmotivated Just a cliche.

    Also mostly false. The people who make more than they spend get richer. The people who don't get poorer. That's why rich people sometimes become poor and vice versa. cf: lottery winners.

    Also, if indeed the more you have the easier it is to earn more in the game (or in life), that can be seen in two ways. If you're a pessimist, or completely lazy, you can see it as the people who have, have it easier than those who don't, so there's no point in trying to catch them. If you are an optimist, or just smart, you can see it as all the effort you expend to advance is rewarded by making the next step easier.

    The more you play, the more you spend, the more content you do, the more opportunities there are to advance further (at least up to the end game) and the more progress you can make with your effort. In that sense, there is some truth to idea that the more you have, the more you can get, but that's a good thing. That's the primary reason why I continue to play the game at all. I can see the return on investment for progress.
  • RixobRixob Posts: 505 ★★
    edited January 2019
    the Richer get richer is a quote used by the lazy and unmotivated Just a cliche. once again you're not competing with anybody's account if you don't want to use cash or you don't have any cash with your problem I've been working since I was 15 I don't know how old you are I hope you're like a twelve-year-old because if you're a grown man who has no money to spend on this game that's a big problem. in life the best things cost money how do you get this money ,you work really hard, you invent something , develop a special skill, something unique. you're not going to get anywhere flipping burgers at McDonald's no matter how much you cry for $15 an hour .life lesson my friend.

    @G0311 Hey there, that response was entirely unnecessary. I really hope that you can use that negative energy in this post some where else. Who are you to assume if I am 12, or if i have a job or not. I dont need to explain myself to anyone. More importantly, i dont need to explain how and why i spend my money. Smh your response was just in poor taste, and out of touch.

    So ill just finish my day looking out the window of the 45th floor of my office in NYC :)
    Have a good one, and please try to lift up others, not make nasty comments.

  • Scarlett_Scarlett_ Posts: 273
    The Chinese New Year event will hopefully come end of jan and that’s basically the poor mans gifting event so just hope for that
  • Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 971 ★★★
    DalBot wrote: »
    It is what it is. This is a spend to win game and those willing to spend the most will always get the most reward to keep them further and further ahead of the rest.

    My biggest disappointment is the Youtube content creators who sold out to join the clear Gifting Winner so they could get the 5* Thanos prize. Guarantees I won't watch their videos anymore.
    I saw some people leave their groups like Seatin to join COWhales alliance. Lags might be leaving aswell, after he got the rewards after he made a video saying OMNI might be coming back
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 10,665 Guardian
    Rixob wrote: »
    So ill just finish my day looking out the window of the 45th floor of my office in NYC :)

    My office barely has windows, much less 45 floors.
  • IsItthoughIsItthough Posts: 253 ★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    IsItthough wrote: »
    However when you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on digital content you have no right to and can be stripped with no reason, you've already lost.

    When you are at the point where you are deciding which players have lost the game, it might be time to consider other hobbies.

    When I spend money on a movie theater ticket, I'm not spending money to buy a movie that they then take away when I leave. I spend money for the experience of watching a movie in a theater. That's all I get, and that's all I pay for. Every cent I've ever spend on this game has been on improving my game play experience, something that I always got and no one can take away. I do not spend money on "digital content you have no right to and can be stripped with no reason" because I have no right to buy it in the first place.

    I genuinely do not understand how this brain bug gets locked into people's minds, but I keep hearing people say that people are "buying" things that they "don't own." By definition you can't buy something you don't end up owning, that's the definition of buying things. Why it is so hard for people to make the very tiny mental leap to realize that if you can't own it, you can't buy it, so you must be spending money for other reasons, is in all seriousness very inexplicable.

    While I can certainly see your point, the difference to me is that when you pay to go to a movie, you pick the movie. You don't give them money and sit in a seat and hope to get something you enjoy. Not sure how a 5* colossus enhances your game play experience, I know it doesn't for me. You come in a lot with the holier than thou attitude, without conceding any points to others. As for your pea brain example and your mental leap of faith. I can buy a plane ticket, yet I don't own it. I get a seat for a short amount of time. So don't let big words like "buy" get in the way of the idea that people spend ridiculous amounts of money on a game they have no control over and yes DONT OWN!

    Man I wish I could sit down with you and buy you a beer and pick what the hell is jumping around in your head. You have some of the most intelligent ideas and breakdowns on the forums and then you go choose things like this that just makes my head explode.
  • zuffyzuffy Posts: 682 ★★★
    I don't get these salty / jealous posts. So what if they spent. They are the people that is keeping the game alive. Kabam is running a business. No profit, no game.
This discussion has been closed.