**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

AW Matchmaking Changes Results

So now that we've had 10 full in season wars with the new matchmaking system, I'm not convinced the new system has offered any benefit or even has met the goals of changing the matchmaking system other than standardizing the time that wars run. I'm curious if other alliances are getting the same or similar results or if my alliance has just been particularly unluckly in this initial sample.

For example, in the course of this season we have now had 10 wars (we're in the middle of the 10th now). Of those 10 wars, 2 alliance account for 5 (i.e., half!) of our wars. That is, we've matched with one alliance 3 times and another alliance twice. In fact, the alliance we matched with twice we matched with in back-to-back wars. Admittedly we are in tier one with a AW Rating of over 3000, but there are more than 5-7 alliances we should be available to match against.

Further, of the 10 match ups we've had, 5 (again half) have had a +/- differential of 30 points (meaning a differential between the plus and minus values of 30, like +45 win / -15 loss or wider discrepancy). The end result being in half of our wars we're paired against an alliance that has a vastly different war rating.

Maybe this is particular to our war rating and level or maybe we are particularly unlucky at our war rating and level, but it's a little disheartening to go up against the same people over and over again with such wide discrepancies in ratings.

Based on my particular anecdotal experience, the matching system has done nothing to improve the end result of pairings, but I'd be curious to see if other alliances have the same experience.

Comments

• Sounds like if there are very few alliances at the highest level you are, that either you would get paired multiple times with the very few teams right around you, or that any other team would be further away in War Rating (causing an appeared wider gap between the +/- for a win/loss).

They should think of having pre-defined Round-Robin brackets of 13 teams, paired all the way down the line. ie, 1-13, 14-26, etc. (or at least down to 10 brackets covering 130 teams) but then 13th rated team would complain that all 12 wars were against someone higher than them (against teams rated 1-12). While the 14th rated team would have an easier time, facing teams rated 15-26. (maybe you “bracket” the rewards then too ?)

Or an alternative would try to have 6 wars against teams right above you, and 6 against one’s right below you. But you can see how that doesn’t work for teams that are actually top-6.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    I've actually noticed quite an improvement where I'm at, so far. Also, it's important to remember that the Matchmaking System has been manipulated and pulled for a while. It'll take time to balance out, and the new one has only just been implemented.
  • HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    OP I’ve noticed the same thing, we’ve been getting several repeats of the same alliances while it seems like we’re dodging all the alliances within 2-3 spots of our war rating. I think the new system is definitely an improvement, but perhaps Kabam could introduce some more weighted matches where if you face an alliance during season already, you’re a little less likely to face them again for the remainder of the season. It won’t be perfect, but could help match variance improve.