**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Iceman & Human Torch immunity

gamep01ntgamep01nt Posts: 96
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
If Human Torch is immune to incinerate, why can't Iceman be immune to Coldsnap? He's literally an ice

Comments

• LoPrestiLoPresti Posts: 1,035 ★★★
    Voltolos said:

Because Ice can still get colder, even too cold for iceman

Iceman is immune to sub-zero temperatures. He should be immune to cold attacks like coldsnap from a logical standpoint.

Don't really think he needs the buff though, and it's getting really old (same as the gHoSt rIDeR shOulD be ImMunE tO ffiReE)
  • UlysseOdysseus75UlysseOdysseus75 Posts: 188
    If I put my ice cream on fire what happen ?

I'm out B)
  • Jkw634Jkw634 Posts: 284 ★★
    At the time iceman came out cold snap was a new mechanic. They did not make him cold snap immune because that would also be the counter for him. The way kabam works with new mechanics is they come out with it then a few months later they release a champion that has the counter to said mechanic. It’s a way to sell new champs. This has gone on since the beginning.
  • GNASTYGNASTY Posts: 348 ★★
    Dormammu wants to know why he isn’t incinerate immune as well.
  • PIZZATIMEPIZZATIME Posts: 307
    what about Ghost Rider
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,762 ★★★★★
    Same thing
  • SRArch_SAI21SRArch_SAI21 Posts: 89
    Guys I noticed that iceman when he takes sp2 from human torch causes stun when he is stun immune on ice armour and stun duration lasts for however human torch places on iceman, isn’t this a big?
  • Incitatus666Incitatus666 Posts: 189
    Voltolos said:

Thats frikkin stupid. lol that's not how thermodynamics works hahahahaaha. I'm actually laughing

Voltolos said:

Thats frikkin stupid. lol that's not how thermodynamics works hahahahaaha. I'm actually laughing
    Actually that is what's most common to see in stories ... specially FICTIONAL ones, where reality doesn't matter
    What's common? That chracters AREN'T immune to their own abilities?

Originally, Iceman's own body temperature would lower dramatically when his powers were active, reaching −105 °F (−76 °C) within a few tenths of a second (now his body usually converts to organic ice). Iceman is immune to sub-zero temperatures; he is also able to perceive the thermal energy level of objects around him. Because cold is the absence of heat, Iceman does not actually 'emanate' cold; rather, he decreases thermal energy. As mentioned by writer Mike Carey, Iceman is "an Omega-level mutant...[and] has powers that can influence the ecosystem of the entire world."

Citation: Richards, Dave (August 28, 2008). "Carey on 'Manifest Destiny' and 'X-Men Origins: Beast'". Comic Book Resources.
    @will-o-wisp I have added the citation if you are still curious about what Iceman's powers are as stated in marvel canon. You should really brush up on your comic knowledge.

Yes this topic arises, oh once a week lol, but for good reason...

@will-o-wisp I have added the citation if you are still curious about what Iceman's powers are as stated in marvel canon. You should really brush up on your comic knowledge.

That isn't from the game, so it's not acceptable.
    The game is different than comics or MCU, and that's why Iceman is not immune to coldsnap/frostbite caused by other iceman. He is immune to his own ice abilities, not to other's
    edited April 2019

The game is different than comics or MCU, and that's why Iceman is not immune to coldsnap/frostbite caused by other iceman. He is immune to his own ice abilities, not to other's
    That is actually not true. There are many many many times where the game follows canon and applies Easter eggs to their characters. They do a pretty good job of it in fact, except when it comes to some select champs that we perceive as the best, maybe this is to "balance the battlrealm" or wtvr that claim is, regardless, its not weighted fairly and no one cares that DD can take on champs that go invisible if hes garbage, its cool, but if your'e keeping to the comics with garbage champs then do it across the board

he is not immune to his own in the game, he is also immune to every sub zero temp. he is classified as omega mutant, literally the top (or close to it)
  • VoltolosVoltolos Posts: 1,120 ★★★
    edited April 2019

Voltolos said:

Thats frikkin stupid
    What part is stupid? You can remove parts of a quote if you only want to talk about specific things, which is important because:

Voltolos said:

that's not how thermodynamics works
    This part looks like you are talking about ice getting colder, but since that does happen, this cant be the stupid part. So why are thermodynamics important in a discussion about a fictional chracter and the limits of his powers?
    He is immune to it's own abilities. Use him on any fight, he will not take damage or even get the effects from his abilities. Now, when he is fightning against other Iceman, he takes the abilities as intended. It's not himself, it's another Iceman applying the abilities to the opponent. Iceman doesn't hurt himself, but he can hurt and be hurted by other Iceman.
    Easter-eggs, like the ones with DD and Cyclops/Havoc, where already discussed to be properly described as abilities.
    I will say it again, the game doesn't take place on the comics, movies or whatever. It takes place on it's own universe, with different rules, laws, and balanced across every champion. Character's can be copied from the Marvel Universe, but not their powers. Or at least not all their powers at max potency.
    https://thinglink.com/scene/386166667127816193
    Voltolos said:

Voltolos said:

Thats frikkin stupid
    What part is stupid? You can remove parts of a quote if you only want to talk about specific things, which is important because:

Voltolos said:

that's not how thermodynamics works
    This past looks like you are talking aobut ice getting colder, but since that does happen, this cant be the stupid part. So why are thermodynamics important in a discussion about a fictional chracter and the limits of his powers?
    This is a phase diagram...
    Water becomes ice at 30 degree c or 32 f, it has the same properties across the board and DOES NOT get colder, unless there is a certain pressure exerted on it. Pressure is what makes the ice colder and that occurs in certain regions of the earth. Above ground and at normal atm (atmospheric pressure) and temp ice DOES not naturally get colder, unless there are other factors involved. By that definition, and application of the laws of thermo. he should be immune to coldsnap under all conditions he is put in during gameplay (unless they decide to have him fighting in pressurized containers)

He is immune to it's own abilities. Use him on any fight, he will not take damage or even get the effects from his abilities. Now, when he is fightning against other Iceman, he takes the abilities as intended. It's not himself, it's another Iceman applying the abilities to the opponent. Iceman doesn't hurt himself, but he can hurt and be hurted by other Iceman.
    Easter-eggs, like the ones with DD and Cyclops/Havoc, where already discussed to be properly described as abilities.
    I will say it again, the game doesn't take place on the comics, movies or whatever. It takes place on it's own universe, with different rules, laws, and balanced across every champion. Character's can be copied from the Marvel Universe, but not their powers. Or at least not all their powers at max potency.

We all know its because they want to "balance" the game. If they made him immune then he will be more powerful and they cant have that apparently. It has nothing to do with the other universe, even so, the fundamentals of each characters abilities do not change with the varying universes and if so show me an example and ill shut up.

Side note, im not sure why but my entire comment xplaining the thermodynamics behind ice has been puled by mods? I am not sure why, but the above phase diagram was supposed to be attached to that post @Voltolos Ice does not get colder under normal atm (atmospheric pressure) only under other circumstances with increased pressure, and we are nbot fighting in pressurized containers in this game.
    edited April 2019

Side note, im not sure why but my entire comment xplaining the thermodynamics behind ice has been puled by mods? I am not sure why, but the above phase diagram was supposed to be attached to that post @Voltolos Ice does not get colder under normal atm (atmospheric pressure) only under other circumstances with increased pressure, and we are nbot fighting in pressurized containers in this game.

Antarctica is way below 0 C. There are normal atmospheric circumstances in that region. Liquid Water doesnt get colder than 0 C normally but Ice can easily get there.

Edit: Screwed up the quoting, sorry
    Voltolos said:

Antarctica is way below 0 C. There are normal atmospheric circumstances in that region. Liquid Water doesnt get colder than 0 C normally but Ice can easily get there.

Ummmm... Antarctica has a significantly higher atm than the rest of the world, this is literally what I said causes lower temps of ice.
    edited April 2019
    it is defined as a polar desert and is extremely unique to the rest of the world, that WOULD be a location where Iceman's powers would be challenged, to some extent. But we aren't fighting in Antarctica
    Voltolos said:

lol no problem with quoting, i do it to. Btw, I want to say, I'm not trying to be a jerk, even tho over the internet it may sound that way. Text can distort the meaning behind everything. I'm genuinely interested in this stuff and the only reason why I do care to ever to comment in here is cuz I love this game so much and think there are places it can improve, and Kabam always says they love our input. No hard feelings I hope, just maybe I get too passionate lol

Voltolos said:

lol no problem with quoting, i do it to. Btw, I want to say, I'm not trying to be a jerk, even tho over the internet it may sound that way. Text can distort the meaning behind everything. I'm genuinely interested in this stuff and the only reason why I do care to ever to comment in here is cuz I love this game so much and think there are places it can improve, and Kabam always says they love our input. No hard feelings I hope, just maybe I get too passionate lol
    Thats ok. I just think you misunderstand something here. So here is how it works:
    While water freezes it never goes below 0° C (except under high pressure). After its completely frozen however, it can go further down if you remove more thermal energy from it. Now as far as I know Iceman has the power to remove thermal energy from his surroundings. So if one Iceman uses this power on another one he can get him to a lower temperature (except if hes already at 0 K) and that should damage the other one.

Also I'm not really opposed to Iceman being coldsnap immune but I think a resistance would make more sense with real life physics
    Voltolos said:

Voltolos said:

Thats ok. I just think you misunderstand something here. So here is how it works:
    While water freezes it never goes below 0° C (except under high pressure). After its completely frozen however, it can go further down if you remove more thermal energy from it. Now as far as I know Iceman has the power to remove thermal energy from his surroundings. So if one Iceman uses this power on another one he can get him to a lower temperature (except if hes already at 0 K) and that should damage the other one.

Also I'm not really opposed to Iceman being coldsnap immune but I think a resistance would make more sense with real life physics
    Understood, but, given your previous statement about removing thermal energy, the way it should go is that over the course of a few seconds each iceman would get acclimated and eventually shrug off the cold-snap bug. That would account for everything

I honestly believe the reason why this wasnt done in the game is two fold, iceman came out as a playable when there was no coldsnap mechanic and it wasnt a thought to make him immune (we only saw immune champs, meaning immune to themselves in he later versions) and they dont want to buff him given hes already exceptional.