Kabam puts pressure on themselves

LainuaLainua Posts: 736 ★★★
Two new champs come out every months is good but to keep up with that schedule is not an easy thing. I am not an IT guy but I understand that if you have to write bunch of new codes every day with deadline is only 20 days it will collide with old code eventually and make the whole thing a mess. It’s exactly the situation we are in.

And to make new champions looking great you put in too many utilities which eventually make things even more complicated. It’s exactly the situation we are in, too.

I appreciate your work but I think you are creating a monster and that monster will get out of your control someday with this kind of progress and work culture.

Comments

  • NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,171 ★★★★
    So just wanna point out this. Champ designing team is different from the bug fixing team.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 6,909 ★★★★★
    DRTO said:

    I'm sure the developers have the new champs that they plan to release already prepared months in advance so that they have plenty of time to work on the abilities for them so they don't exactly have only 20 days to code all of it. They've been doing this for over 4 years now so it's not like it's anything new for them to tackle.

    In one of the feedback sessions I participated in, I was told that they are often working on content up to a year in advance. I am assuming that means content and champions.

    I think its important to note that the content isn't rushed but I think they have a lack luster QA team. While I experience very little of issues reported, too many others have them to say it's just the device. I would like them to expand the content creators program and make it a beta program for bug testing to a larger group. Only problem I see with that is that people leak too much info and they don't want that happening.
  • LainuaLainua Posts: 736 ★★★
    I honestly think that bugs are out of control now and Kabam is heading to a business destroying mess.
  • peasantpeasant Posts: 240
    Lainua said:

    Two new champs come out every months is good but to keep up with that schedule is not an easy thing. I am not an IT guy but I understand that if you have to write bunch of new codes every day with deadline is only 20 days it will collide with old code eventually and make the whole thing a mess. It’s exactly the situation we are in.

    And to make new champions looking great you put in too many utilities which eventually make things even more complicated. It’s exactly the situation we are in, too.

    I appreciate your work but I think you are creating a monster and that monster will get out of your control someday with this kind of progress and work culture.

    You're assuming the pace they have been working is overwhelming. That the complexity of a champ makes their workload overwhelming.

    Personally, I think they are doing quite well for a 500 million+ business. I think that complex champs/mechanics are what make a game interesting. I don't see any evidence that proves the contrary. There's no evidence that the majority playing a static, simple, fighting game for a very long time has lasted.

    Playing devil's advocate, one can make the same argument that their pace is underwhelming for how much manpower(dev power) they can get; that they aren't setting aside enough manpower to get certain bugs fixed.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 6,909 ★★★★★
    peasant said:

    Lainua said:

    Two new champs come out every months is good but to keep up with that schedule is not an easy thing. I am not an IT guy but I understand that if you have to write bunch of new codes every day with deadline is only 20 days it will collide with old code eventually and make the whole thing a mess. It’s exactly the situation we are in.

    And to make new champions looking great you put in too many utilities which eventually make things even more complicated. It’s exactly the situation we are in, too.

    I appreciate your work but I think you are creating a monster and that monster will get out of your control someday with this kind of progress and work culture.

    You're assuming the pace they have been working is overwhelming. That the complexity of a champ makes their workload overwhelming.

    Personally, I think they are doing quite well for a 500 million+ business. I think that complex champs/mechanics are what make a game interesting. I don't see any evidence that proves the contrary. There's no evidence that the majority playing a static, simple, fighting game for a very long time has lasted.

    Playing devil's advocate, one can make the same argument that their pace is underwhelming for how much manpower(dev power) they can get; that they aren't setting aside enough manpower to get certain bugs fixed.
    Remember the amout of devices this is played on. Trying to get a perfect playing version for every device it can be played on is probably more complex than the character design itself.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 9,472 Guardian
    Drooped2 said:

    They very well could have say 6 champion designers. Not a big number considering billion dollar company and each starts a champ after finishing one.

    Ie each designer makes 1 released champ every 3 months

    MCOC makes millions of dollars a month. But Kabam doesn't. First of all, MCOC is a licensed Marvel property: we don't know how much Marvel takes, but I am pretty sure it is a lot. And then MCOC is a mobile game that relies on Apple and Google app stores. They get their 30% cut. And then Kabam is just a development studio for Netmarble now, Netmarble actually makes all that money. And I'm sure Netmarble didn't buy Kabam for $800 million just to hand the Kabam dev studio all the revenue from MCOC. Kabam doesn't actually make *any* money from MCOC anymore: in effect Kabam operates on a budget allowance from Netmarble. Netmarble has to be keeping the bulk of that revenue just to make the purchase price make sense in the first place.

    Unless you have an insider feeding you numbers, analyzing the financial situation of a game development studio or the revenue of an online game is one of the trickiest bits of analysis you can attempt. Most of the time you end up wildly wrong.
  • RapRap Posts: 2,590 ★★★
    It is already out of control. In the beginning i seem to remember it was six a month. Now it is not the champs that overwork them it is trying to create new things to add to the game. New event quest themes and the assorted and sundry special "gimics" if you will No offense but beginning to feel like a painting that was close to done and then the artist just went too far and overworked it...and it's make us tired too.
  • RapRap Posts: 2,590 ★★★
    I play the base game. And even just that, no alliance quests or wars, no dungeons, just what is available for my title and anyone playing the game solo or in an alliance and it still feels like i am playing endlessly...like i must in order to progress and keep up with alliance growth at all...
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 9,472 Guardian
    Rap said:

    It is already out of control. In the beginning i seem to remember it was six a month. Now it is not the champs that overwork them it is trying to create new things to add to the game. New event quest themes and the assorted and sundry special "gimics" if you will No offense but beginning to feel like a painting that was close to done and then the artist just went too far and overworked it...and it's make us tired too.

    A lot of people seem to think that this game can be "done" and then Kabam wouldn't need to add new mechanics or champions to it because this would be necessary, or at least it wouldn't be necessary at the same levels as today. This is wrong. This game isn't an incomplete game that is moving towards being complete, this is a game-as-a-service where the product isn't the game, it is the continuous additions to the game. Kabam can no more finish MCOC than Pizza Hut can finish making all the pizzas.

    Stopping or even significantly slowing down the additions of content and champions isn't an option, not because the game needs them, but because that is literally what the game is: a platform for the champions and the content. Most online games are like this, and virtually all massively multiplayer online games are like this, and there's no changing that.
Sign In or Register to comment.