**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Should seasonal/quarterly calendars should be a regular thing?

Mathking13Mathking13 Posts: 988 ★★★
So I just want to say it again, in case it's not obvious. THIS 3-MONTH CALENDAR IS AMAZING! There are some insane rewards available, and it'll really help new and mid-game players to progress even just a little bit more.
I'm really hoping this is able to stay as a regular concept. It wouldn't have to have the same rewards as this month, per se, but just the concept of a calendar that ramps up in rewards over the course of 3 months.
So here's my idea for some rewards changes for a consistent 3-month calendar.
- at least 3 4* crystals
- between 2500 and 4000 5* shards. Maybe just a few 6* shards too?
- 4* Awakening Gem at the end of the calendar (where the 5* gem crystal currently is). I'd be fine if this was a 4* gem crystal (maybe 2 of them in that case?)...
- keep the generic sig stones. But we could have say 30 4* sig stones available, and 10 5* ones. Maybe a 6* sig stone crystal somewhere?
- Keep the amount of t4b you're giving this quarter. Maybe a couple more? Cause endgame players are still struggling with t4b.
- Just one t2a. and you could have a version around the turn of the year which contains 2 of them.
- A few t5b fragments? Just a couple of thousand would do, I think...
- If you log in on EVERY SINGLE DAY of the quarter, then you get a special profile picture that changes every quarter. Would be purchasable in the next quarter to everybody who didn't get it from the calendar for 500 units.

So I wonder what you guys think? If they made quarterly calendars a thing, can you think of anything else that should be in there? I really look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    That... is actually a decent idea. Then again, I’m always on the fence about free stuff, since that raises expectations. I suppose it might be plausible: Useful to mid tier players, and a nice bonus for endgame players; a decent incentive to log in regularly. On the other hand, it might be a bit too good for early players, and though in 3 months, they’re probably in the mid tier, it might be better if it was tiered somehow.

In the short term, it probably won’t come back except for special events or whatnot, but I wouldn’t be entirely against it.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    I think I would rather have a once a year great calendar like we're getting now than a watered down version that we get constantly. But that doesn't mean Kabam can't experiment with alternate means of rewarding veteran players.

In some MMOs I've played there was a veteran reward system where veterans gained special veteran currency based on how long they played, say one token per month they logged in. And there was a veteran store where they could use those tokens. So if you're earning one a month, maybe you save up four and spend them on a T4B, or maybe you save up ten and spend them on a T2A, or something like that. Something that wasn't game changing, but represented some useful reward for being a long time player of the game.

I would rather see something like that be the year-round veteran reward system than a continuous calendar. The calendar has to be designed to offer rewards for all levels of progress, which means a lot of the rewards are not meaningful for high tier players while much of it is perhaps too powerful for many new players. A veteran store would allow players to choose more appropriate rewards without the devs having to rig the rewards to be spread out among everyone.

If you grant the token in the normal calendar, say on day fifteen, that would mean a player would have to log in at least half the days of the month to qualify for having "played" that month for the purposes of the veteran reward system. PIck a number that is reasonable based on how easy or hard you want to make the veteran rewards to get. Or alternatively, award them once per week so players can get up to four of them, or less if they take time off, but it is less binary.
  • Options
    PrathapPrathap Posts: 581 ★★★
    Once in a year it’s good... I don’t mind even if they don’t do it anytime later...

They gave RDT once years ago just for appreciation and there are people still asking for them even today...

It’s not good in the long run as people will just be looking for free stuff instead of earning it..

Gifts are valuable only if you are not expecting for it... IMO
  • Options
    Mathking13Mathking13 Posts: 988 ★★★

That... is actually a decent idea. Then again, I’m always on the fence about free stuff, since that raises expectations. I suppose it might be plausible: Useful to mid tier players, and a nice bonus for endgame players; a decent incentive to log in regularly. On the other hand, it might be a bit too good for early players, and though in 3 months, they’re probably in the mid tier, it might be better if it was tiered somehow.

In the short term, it probably won’t come back except for special events or whatnot, but I wouldn’t be entirely against it.

by 'tiered', do you mean something like perhaps making it so that the calendar upgrades with progression tiers? Because yeah that could be plausible... I mean I wouldn't imagine the rewards for progression tiers being way too much, but I could imagine something like a couple of GMCs on an Uncollected version, or maybe special other crystals with pools focused on the champs that were new around the time the story content related to the progression title was released (so champs that were released around the time Act 4 was released for the Act 4 title, for example)

But anyway I know this might not be a thing that's implemented like how I'm thinking... but it's just that they've made this new calendar format so I'm at least thinking this multi-month calendar isn't just a once-off thing...