**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Mutant Champion Buffs!! Who will turn out better??

13»

Comments

• DjkrdjjDjkrdjj Posts: 444 ★★
    Old Man Logan

As a reminder, any information that is gained through illegal datamines, and is not officially announced by us is not final. The information here is not necessarily indicative of what we intend to Beta test, or will be the final product.

Additionally, we hadn't mentioned Old Man Logan because there was no guarantee that his rework would be finished in time, or be released. We're getting close now, but there's still that chance it won't happen.

I would laugh soooooo hard if they didn’t release OML buff that was data-mined. You really should push it back just to spite the mines.
    Not gonna lie, that would be quite hilarious actually 😂
    If colossus gets a buff to his base attack he might get some decently hard special attacks
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

As a reminder, any information that is gained through illegal datamines, and is not officially announced by us is not final. The information here is not necessarily indicative of what we intend to Beta test, or will be the final product.

Additionally, we hadn't mentioned Old Man Logan because there was no guarantee that his rework would be finished in time, or be released. We're getting close now, but there's still that chance it won't happen.

I would laugh soooooo hard if they didn’t release OML buff that was data-mined. You really should push it back just to spite the mines.
    I think it would be more amusing if they stuck a gigantic set of buffs for Cyclops in the data right at the end of March and then gave all the devs the next week off.
  • DjkrdjjDjkrdjj Posts: 444 ★★
    Old Man Logan

Djkrdjj said:

Siliyo said:

You see, you say all of that to save face, but data mines have been 99.9% accurate. Don’t get mad if it gets leaked. Embrace it!
    What he said is 100% true. Leaking information before its intended release and final phase is against the TOS. It's also not the final product, so it is misleading. Especially with things so early in their stage.
    As for embracing it, if people were leaking information from my company, I would do the exact opposite of embrace it.
    Why not
    They help the company by giving early reactions
    Whenever these specific data mines come out it
    gets me hyped
    Sure most datamines are bad but these specific ones about character leaks just get people excited about the game
    Does it matter? Just state your opinion & move on....
    Already did
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited July 2019
    DNA3000 said:

I think it would be more amusing if they stuck a gigantic set of buffs for Cyclops in the data right at the end of March and then gave all the devs the next week off.
    I'd laugh if they gave him a Synergy with Red Clops and called it "Very Effective". (Jokes Miike.)
  • Liss_Bliss_Liss_Bliss_ Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

I'd laugh if they gave him a Synergy with Red Clops and called it "Very Effective". (Jokes Miike.)
    Give Red Cyclops a synergy with @Kabam Miike and use the classic “git gud” pic of him flying around Line.
  • DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 ★★★
    edited July 2019
    Old Man Logan

Why would data mining be illegal? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the data found in the game files technically public information despite being "hidden". They never actually accessed any programs that would allow them to change values and attributes in the game, so, again, isn't it still legal?

And if I'm correct, then the discussion should revolve around ethics and not hypothetical legal consequences.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★

Why would data mining be illegal? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the data found in the game files technically public information despite being "hidden". They never actually accessed any programs that would allow them to change values and attributes in the game, so, again, isn't it still legal?

And if I'm correct, then the discussion should revolve around ethics and not hypothetical legal consequences.
    Not to go back into the off-topic zone, but the information is not "public information". It belongs to Kabam. The means it's acquired is against TOS, and the release of it without permission from the company is most definitely illegal. Now, it's clear that tracking down said individual might be difficult, since they're no doubt not operating in any way traceable to them, at least that's what I assume. It's also one of those instances where you have to pick and choose your battles, and investing time and effort into going after someone like that would be costly. However, it is not legal to data mine and release information prior to release without the company's permission. There's a reason it's not visible organically.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

By "illegal" I assume he means it violates the terms of service. Whether datamining is illegal in the sense that it violates some criminal statute is a bit more hazy. There's the question of whether the data can be viewed as protected by access control in which case this could violate the circumvention provision of the DMCA in the United States (outside of the US, this would not apply).

And then there's the separate question of whether you can state publicly what you extract. In the US, you can own expression through copyright, or you can control the disclosure of information through trade secret protection. But copyright protects expression not content: you can copyright the specific form the game takes, but you cannot copyright protect actual facts. I can say that Colossus has, or will have, some increased critical damage and that's completely legal because I'm stating a fact. Conversely, trade secret protection requires the facts be kept secret. The very fact that Colossus exhibits directly the data he comprises makes claiming his data a trade secret impossible (can you argue legally it is a trade secret prior to public release? I don't think that's been tested in court).

Whether data diving is "ethical" is a nuanced discussion I don't think public forums really are capable of doing justice. I used to be a data diver of online games, and at times I operated in plain sight of the game's developers, but the context of that activity was much more cooperative than adversarial. It was technically prohibited, but unofficially tolerated. The bottom line is that you're at the mercy of the game operator, and so long as you're harmless they probably won't spend a lot of money hunting you down. If they decide you're more trouble than it is worth, they will find a way to shut you down.

My personal stance on the ethics of data diving is that I believe it is ethical (but to be clear, still technically prohibited and the game operator has the right to terminate your access to the game if you do this) to release information about the game that players should have about the game and would be able to determine for themselves in theory by simply observing the game (even if this would be incredibly difficult to do in practice). I don't think it is ethical to use data diving to release information explicitly intended to be opaque to or temporarily withheld from the players. For example, things like how the champion abilities work is something there's general agreement players should know, and it is theoretically possible to determine this through testing but that would take extremely exhaustive coordinated work. I have no problem with a data diver telling players this information. But telling players what the map layouts will be for next month's events well in advance of release would be unethical in my opinion.
  • Scopeotoe987Scopeotoe987 Posts: 1,548 ★★★★★
    edited July 2019
    Old Man Logan
    Before Red Skull came to the contest in 2018 he was datamined years ago, but never put in the game until 2018, since I remember watching some videos on YouTube, and my guess is that it could be true.