**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Sony/MCU/Spidey

13»

Comments

• DiablosUltimateDiablosUltimate Posts: 1,021 ★★★
    I fully support Sony with pulling Spider-Man back. They have been playing very nice so far, enabling Spider-Man to join MCU in the first place, but it seems you just can't play nice with Disney and their greed.
  • EarthEliteEarthElite Posts: 879 ★★★

• DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★

Screw Disney for being soo greedy, they already have 100% of revenue from merch which is extremely valuable

But when they make the film and see Sony walk away with over 1bn and they don’t get a sniff, it’s worth trying to negotiate.

The agreement was if they did make over 1bn, Sony would sit down again to discus.

Just because it’s been 1 discussion also doesn’t mean it’s over, it’s also over producer credits too.

I can see it being worked out, Sony will flop it as per, they need to think logically.
  • Reference said:

I won't say Sony and Disney are greedy, it's business organization and profit maximization is a goal.
    I think they would reach another deal some time in the future, although I think Disney's bargaining power is higher relatively.
    Kicking Spiderman out of MCU hurts Sony more as almost all synergy are coming from Disney's Marvel Studios.
    Disney can use the same method that they used before on Universal's F4: stop developing comics/affiliate toy products.

That's it right there. Marvel created Spidey, and Sony owns the movie rights. Marvel is in NO WAY obligated to continue the comic series. When Fox pushed that last F4 movie out, Marvel took action. We all saw the end result of that one. Sony thinks they can swing this one without the help of Marvel Studios and maybe they're right. HOWEVER, Marvel's fanbase is who Sony should be weary of. There's already been calls for boycotting Sony. With the way the internet works, this could be a PR nightmare and the backlash could be more than they bargained for.

While Sony has the rights to a slew of characters, they do NOT have the rights to the rest of the Avengers, and many others that could potentially show up while attached to the MCU. Kevin Feige has the magic touch when it comes to these films and Sony should be aware of this by now. They would be wise not to stamp on too many feet. They were up a certain creek without a paddle not too long ago, and they very well may end up there again.

Let's also note the merch rights now. You may've noticed Sony didn't have a toy line for the Venom flick. It's the little stuff that can snowball into bigger issues. Collectors want them, and kids love them. So having NOTHING out there isn't good when it comes to promotions. Also, let's again remember, this is VERY early in the game. Many sources have stated that nothing is final and it could be worked out.

The headlines are designed to garner a reaction. Clearly, people are reacting, lol. Let's be honest though, would Far From Home have hit 1 Billion without the rest of the MCU storyline surrounding it? Probably not. It's a chapter in a VERY long tale being told. If it was a standalone story... I doubt it would've done as well.
  • MaxtheSilentMaxtheSilent Posts: 762 ★★★
    The problem is that Sony can drop a terrible Spiderman movie out there and people will go see it regardless. Clearly Disney makes some of the best comic book movies period but it's all about having the right IP. People love Spidey so they could cast me, an out of shape middle aged person with no acting skill, and it'd make millions. The internet would hate me but people would go. Also my kids would be thrilled so it'd be a big hit at my place.
  • Pinka1999Pinka1999 Posts: 8
    Sony just don't listen to the fans. They are going to ruin Spider-Man again.
  • BowTieJohnBowTieJohn Posts: 2,360 ★★★★
    I think Sony making this decision was not smart. Disney I believe will recover and adjust. Sony on the other hand if they can't arrange a deal will suffer and hurt their properties. Marvel/Disney is the reason Spider-man has been a success. Now I know some will say Venom did well, but that is a different story. Only time will tell.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,360 ★★★★★
    Of course, as good as Tom Holland was, the real tragedy is losing Marisa Tomei as Aunt May....
  • Vanillaface_4Vanillaface_4 Posts: 2
    @Kabam Miike Is there any plan to remove Spider-Man from the MCOC line-up now that he is no longer going to be part of MCU?
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,768 ★★★★★
    Stan lee is rolling over in his grave because these two companies are going to destroy his most beloved creation.
  • Pinka1999Pinka1999 Posts: 8
    Justice for Spider-Man
  • tinman76tinman76 Posts: 116

Official statement released earlier today
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,360 ★★★★★
    edited September 2019