**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Will the cost of 5* Champs be reduced?

I found it interesting in the post about 6* Champs (which I am totally psyched for) that one of the FAQs wasn't:

Are 5* crystals still going to be 10,000 shards or will it be reduced to be a more reasonable bump? (i.e.: 2000 shards for 4*, 5000 shards for 5*, 10,000 shards for 6*)

@Kabam Miike
@Kabam Spice
@Kabam Iko
@Kabam Valkyrie

Comments

• SungjSungj Posts: 2,112 ★★★★★
    No, but instead 5 star shard will become much more available so you will be able to pop them much more quickly than you do now
  • Captain_MaimCaptain_Maim Posts: 336
    Seems like there should be a mixture of the two options.
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,112 ★★★★★
    Seems like there should be a mixture of the two options.

It would be completely unfair for people who have opened crystals at full cost and give an advantage to new players older players didn't have. Making shards more available is the best way to make 5 stars more common yet still make it fair for both new and old players
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    When you make shards more common and in greater abundance the cost (time/units) does decrease so yes they will be cheaper just not obviously cheaper.
    Agreed @CoatHang3r
    It's essentially the same move but reducing the cost of shards for 5* Champs makes more sense, it looks better from a gradually building perspective
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Not really, if they reduced the cost of a crystal anyone sitting on shards has an instant advantage over everyone who does not hoard.

Like say someone has 60,000 shards on hand and the cost is halved, they instantly have twice as many 5*s than anyone who opens as the acquire 10,000 shards.

When they make shards more available then it doesn't give anyone with a stash an advantage as heros can be acquired at the same rate.
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    5* shard will become more available because the people who saved shards will have more chances than they should get if the amount per crystal is reduced
    Not if they just adjust by halving currently owned crystal shards at the time they implement it.
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    Nope, bad idea. Just increasing availability of 5* shards is fine. The value of duping the class below is constant to the cost of a crystal, just need to keep increasing the output of the shards.
    Nope, bad idea. Just increasing availability of 5* shards is fine. The value of duping the class below is constant to the cost of a crystal, just need to keep increasing the output of the shards.

I disagree. Think of it from perspective of a brand new player... The jump from 2000 shard cost to 10,000 seems absurd. If they knew they were going to introduce 6*champs prior to releasing 5* Champs, they wouldn't have made it such a large variance.
  • Mstyl3Mstyl3 Posts: 4
    I hope you make it a lot more accessible. It take almost 1 month to get 1 crystal, specially if you don't have time to do arena. I think you need to increase the amount of shards in AW. Both for losing and winning. Also you can implement more 4-5* shards in AQ milestones or ram rewards. Another place that you can add shards are in solo and alliance events. All we get are phc shards and those damn 2* I get every time doesn't help me get more 4* yet alone 5*. Imo we should be able to get 3-5 5* a month if we ever hope to dupe any to get 6* shards.

@Kabam Miike
    @Kabam Spice
    @Kabam Iko
    @Kabam Valkyrie
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★

I disagree. Think of it from perspective of a brand new player... The jump from 2000 shard cost to 10,000 seems absurd. If they knew they were going to introduce 6*champs prior to releasing 5* Champs, they wouldn't have made it such a large variance.

That's not the only thing absurd for a new player. Could you even imagine starting a new account now knowing how much time and money it will take to reach 6* champs and top tier gameplay?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    Not if they just adjust by halving currently owned crystal shards at the time they implement it.

But that is ridiculous. It becomes a distinction without a difference. Why reduce the fragment cost and combine that with reducing the number of fragments that exist? That would be not just lacking in any benefit, it is also counter-productive. It would devalue the act of earning 5* fragments at the same time they are increasing the proportional earning rate and also create a totally unnecessary problem of having to explain to players why their 5* fragment stashes were being reduced.
  • OMC_PintoOMC_Pinto Posts: 101
    Initially I had the same question as @Captain_Maim (why not reduce 5* costs) but thanks to @CoatHang3r and @Sungj for perfect explanation as to why it doesnt make sense to change it. Appreciate it guys (or gals LOL) thanks!
  • Ghost2690Ghost2690 Posts: 9

I think both sides have merit. As someone that has been struggling to build up a 4* roster, it sucks trying to get 5* shards. With more powerful content being released (even with the time until it is playable being so far away), it will still be very difficult to get enough 5* crystals, even with getting more shards for rewards, much less some duplicates. Another issue is that those with multiple 5* right now will be able to start getting dup's on August 30th, while the rest of us have to spend the time getting the 5*'s first, further making getting 6* a longer endeavor. On the other side, 2k shards for a 5* is too low. 5k for a 5*, to me, seems fair (maybe 3.5k just for a month or 2 prior to 6* playable; a sort of "gear-up" event). Then, when they are playable, kick it back to 5k so you need between 4* and 6* amounts, and it still won't be TOO easy.
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★
    It should be reduced to 5k if the 6*s are going to be 10k
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724 ★★★★
    OP - this has been addressed in the 6-Star thread both in posts and in replies - others have also provided you with an accurate response so I'm going to go ahead and lock this down. We do not have any plans to reduce the amount of shards a 5-Star will need, but it's easier than ever to obtain more 5-Star shards in order to make them more accessible.
  • Mstyl3Mstyl3 Posts: 4
    I hope you make it a lot more accessible. It take almost 1 month to get 1 crystal, specially if you don't have time to do arena. I think you need to increase the amount of shards in AW. Both for losing and winning. Also you can implement more 4-5* shards in AQ milestones or ram rewards. Another place that you can add shards are in solo and alliance events. All we get are phc shards and those damn 2* I get every time doesn't help me get more 4* yet alone 5*. Imo we should be able to get 3-5 5* a month if we ever hope to dupe any to get 6* shards.

@Kabam Miike
    @Kabam Spice
    @Kabam Iko
    @Kabam Valkyrie
This discussion has been closed.