**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Flat Percentage or Percent Of. A question about champion and synergy descriptions.

I was checking out Sunspot's Champion Spotlight and the A.I.M Technology synergy with RH or Modok gives science champs up to +40% Duration and Ability Accuracy of various debuffs. Sometimes percentages are stated as being increased or decreased by a "flat" percentage or "by" a certain percentage. Is this wording consistent?

For example, with that synergy Luke Cage would either increase his base chance (30%) to place an exhaustion debuff by up to 42% if "by x%" is a percentage of his base chance or 70% if it's added to his base chance. I assume in this case that it would be 42% based on what I think is the proper reading of this particular synergy. I would also imagine that it would increase LC's base exhaustion duration (10s) to 14s if stated either way (by x% or by a flat x%).

I seem to recall some confusion with how percentages were calculated post 12.0 and I'm unclear as to whether this was ever cleared up. My question is:

With regard to a base percentages being adjusted up or down, is the terminology for percentage based increases or decreases across all of the champion's ability and synergy descriptions consistent and differentiated by either stating "by a flat x%", meaning it's added to an existing percentage or "by x%" meaning it's a percentage of an existing percentage? Thanks.

Comments

• Marri_2Marri_2 Posts: 577 ★★★
    edited October 2019
    There is no way to know which it is. Some % are really flat numbers while others really are real %.

BW sig: Real %

Chance to evade: Real %

Block Prof: % conversion from flat number.

Etc

As for "add or multiply" this differs per ability.
  • Jh_DezJh_Dez Posts: 1,306 ★★★
    The way I see it, everything is out of a total of 100%
    Hyperion, 40% out of 100% to gain a fury on heavy
    If anything is 100%, it's a a guarantee unless affected by aar which reduces it

So basically everything is a flat chance.

When it comes to other increments like potency increase, it's usually a percentage of the flat percentage chance already given unless stated that it's a flat increase to the already flat chance

I'm not sure if I'm putting this well
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Destroyer said:

I was checking out Sunspot's Champion Spotlight and the A.I.M Technology synergy with RH or Modok gives science champs up to +40% Duration and Ability Accuracy of various debuffs. Sometimes percentages are stated as being increased or decreased by a "flat" percentage or "by" a certain percentage. Is this wording consistent?

For example, with that synergy Luke Cage would either increase his base chance (30%) to place an exhaustion debuff by up to 42% if "by x%" is a percentage of his base chance or 70% if it's added to his base chance. I assume in this case that it would be 42% based on what I think is the proper reading of this particular synergy. I would also imagine that it would increase LC's base exhaustion duration (10s) to 14s if stated either way (by x% or by a flat x%).

I seem to recall some confusion with how percentages were calculated post 12.0 and I'm unclear as to whether this was ever cleared up. My question is:

With regard to a base percentages being adjusted up or down, is the terminology for percentage based increases or decreases across all of the champion's ability and synergy descriptions consistent and differentiated by either stating "by a flat x%", meaning it's added to an existing percentage or "by x%" meaning it's a percentage of an existing percentage? Thanks.

Usually when the game says "flat percentage" they mean percentage points. When they say "percent" they usually mean percent of base.

In other words, if you have a 40% chance to do something, increasing that by a "flat ten percent" increases it to 50%. Increasing that by "ten percent" increases that to 44% (10% of 40 is 4). However, the game doesn't describe things consistently or accurately in all cases, so players often have to infer which one is actually the case. Often, but not always, one of the two will make more sense in context.
  • DestroyerDestroyer Posts: 130
    Thank you all for your input. It's a shame that the way percentages are implemented are apparently left to speculation. I wish there could be some consistency with the terminology used in character and synergy descriptions. Mods feel free to weigh in here and hopefully shed further light on this. It is something that affects all players on a daily basis. Thanks.