**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Doctor Doom... disappointing?

Comments

• FreeToPlay_21FreeToPlay_21 Posts: 1,594 ★★★★

Honestly I think Dr. Doom is going to be god tier just because he has absolutely amazing power control and the ability to chain heavy out of a combo is insane (remember she hulk). I think Doom is very similar to she hulk, but instead of taunt he has power control and gain off the charts. I think you will see that his damage with suicides, 4 or 5 md, and r5 is much more impressive than the ccp stuff and he can be made suicide friendly with nick fury. When warlock and Claire were initially released people also looked down on him for his "poor damage" but look at what he has become. Also shock is an increasingly valuable immunity. And he doesn't really need the aar/evade/autoblock counter because that isn't his purpose

I wouldn't compare his passive stun mechanic to She Hulk's. You didn't have to worry about keeping the shock on the opponent when playing She Hulk. He's kinda like Wasp, but the heavy chaining deals WAY less damage in exchange for a stagger, and it becomes very hectic from what I've seen.

He's not bad, just a regular mystic champion who works well in match-ups with a lot of buffs. I watched Dave's entire Livestream, the power control and nullify on contact is a good touch. But the damage is very disappointing to me. It's frickin Doctor Doom for god's sake, make him game-breakingly overpowered and people wouldn't complain because it's Doctor Doom.

The SP3 fury thing is such a boring mechanic, they've literally done that with 4 characters this year (Namor, Mysterio, Aarkus and now Doom). How hard is it to come up with original abilities? Just take a goddamn look at the Champions wishlist. I see this as a failed opportunity, a High-demi god tier at best, I hope I'm wrong.
  • Legendary_PoeyLegendary_Poey Posts: 209

Honestly I think Dr. Doom is going to be god tier just because he has absolutely amazing power control and the ability to chain heavy out of a combo is insane (remember she hulk). I think Doom is very similar to she hulk, but instead of taunt he has power control and gain off the charts. I think you will see that his damage with suicides, 4 or 5 md, and r5 is much more impressive than the ccp stuff and he can be made suicide friendly with nick fury. When warlock and Claire were initially released people also looked down on him for his "poor damage" but look at what he has become. Also shock is an increasingly valuable immunity. And he doesn't really need the aar/evade/autoblock counter because that isn't his purpose

I wouldn't compare his passive stun mechanic to She Hulk's. You didn't have to worry about keeping the shock on the opponent when playing She Hulk. He's kinda like Wasp, but the heavy chaining deals WAY less damage in exchange for a stagger, and it becomes very hectic from what I've seen.

He's not bad, just a regular mystic champion who works well in match-ups with a lot of buffs. I watched Dave's entire Livestream, the power control and nullify on contact is a good touch. But the damage is very disappointing to me. It's frickin Doctor Doom for god's sake, make him game-breakingly overpowered and people wouldn't complain because it's Doctor Doom.

The SP3 fury thing is such a boring mechanic, they've literally done that with 4 characters this year (Namor, Mysterio, Aarkus and now Doom). How hard is it to come up with original abilities? Just take a goddamn look at the Champions wishlist. I see this as a failed opportunity, a High-demi god tier at best, I hope I'm wrong.
    I disagree. Like I said his damage at r5 will be much more impressive than the footage that ccp since his l3 fury and base attack, as well as incinerates are increasing, but to further develop my claim that his heavy is similar to she hulk's. First off his shock is very, very easy to access. Two to three parries or intercepts at the start of the fight (or nullifying a buff) will put the shock on the opponent . You push your opponent to the corner after a mlllh. They should have l1 by this time that you bait out and now you have complete corner control with your incredible power control. The reason she hulk was so good is because once you got to the corner the fight was done, you had corner control and the opponent would throw special, you would punish, push to special, bait continue. Wasp is also similar to this, but she has no sort of way to keep the power in check. With doom you should be able to do the same thing she hulk did substituting the power steal for taunt and the l3 rotation instead of fury.
  • Diksh619Diksh619 Posts: 227 ★★
    TBH i am a bit disappointed in DOOM. He and Silver Surfer have too much hype. These are the most desirable fan favorites so the point that he is just a utility champ is not going to justify the character in his current state.
    I agree that until we play with him we will never know for sure what sort of potential he has but the trailer looks underwhelming. His animations are awesome but they certainly made him a bit less powerful than what most of us thought. He has the best prestige in game to get him all the hype but imo he should have been the complete package with all the utility and best damage. I really hope they buff him but in no way he is bad just a demi god champ!
  • Diksh619Diksh619 Posts: 227 ★★

She hulk heavy was amazing because of the kit she hulk has..DOOM ..maybe..maybe not..can't really comment on the future until one can have hands on. Maybe having high hope and expectation was bad on my part!
  • I waited for doc doom for many years. He's my fav villain and of the best characters in marvel. Hope he isn't ruined. I have high hope for him
    edited November 2019
    You all are valuing damage to highly. His damage works for his kit, but he will be rivaling magik for best power control and will be a useful character because of that. You have to put up massive amounts of burst damage to be god tier.
    Also how much do you see people use namor compare to top tier utility champs like warlock, magik, etc. I personally haven't seen namor be used in to much aq, aw, 6.2. I'm sure you can use him there, but he isn't one of the most popular picks from what I've seen.
    Sure it's cool to see 50k+ hits, but at the end of the day I would rather have a champion that can do their job extremely well at a slower pace than a champ that has massive bursts, but can't really do the most difficult fights.
    edited November 2019

I disagree. Like I said his damage at r5 will be much more impressive than the footage that ccp since his l3 fury and base attack, as well as incinerates are increasing, but to further develop my claim that his heavy is similar to she hulk's. First off his shock is very, very easy to access. Two to three parries or intercepts at the start of the fight (or nullifying a buff) will put the shock on the opponent . You push your opponent to the corner after a mlllh. They should have l1 by this time that you bait out and now you have complete corner control with your incredible power control. The reason she hulk was so good is because once you got to the corner the fight was done, you had corner control and the opponent would throw special, you would punish, push to special, bait continue. Wasp is also similar to this, but she has no sort of way to keep the power in check. With doom you should be able to do the same thing she hulk did substituting the power steal for taunt and the l3 rotation instead of fury.
    Kabam is still handicapping him based on what i saw from the ccp. If Namor gets no fury cap and long fury duration with his strongly potent furies then so should doom.
    Lagacy wasn't even able to put up his second fury. We haven't even seen his damage with it. Once people find out the rotation for 2 furies his damage will go up a lot. Keep in mind namor, who also stack furies from l3, (usually 2 at a time as well) did not have his rotation mastered as first either.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    He seems like a good champ to me, he’s not a beyond god tier damage beast, but he’s not a noodle, and his power control seems amazing and his nullify seems solid aswell, I’m pretty happy with him looking at early reviews
    edited November 2019
    Aleor said:

Also how much do you see people use namor compare to top tier utility champs like warlock, magik, etc. I personally haven't seen namor be used in to much aq, aw, 6.2. I'm sure you can use him there, but he isn't one of the most popular picks from what I've seen.

I would use utility champ like Magik only when I need her utility, wich happens rare. I would've use namor or corvus or some other high damage champ everywhere, as they make fights shorter. Also namor has utility comparable to magiks if not more.
    How? Magik is the power control queen and namor has no power control what so ever.

I'm sorry but if you haven't seen Namor in AW and AQ, then I'm afraid you haven't seen any videos or played these modes yourself.
    My alli is tier 5 and gold 1. We run 5x5 so your right I haven't played the most difficult aw and aq, but I have watched plenty of aw and aq footage from top tier players like KT1 and never once have I seen namor be used in aq or aw. If you could find an image/vid where he is that would be nice.
    Aleor said:

Sure it's cool to see 50k+ hits, but at the end of the day I would rather have a champion that can do their job extremely well at a slower pace than a champ that has massive bursts, but can't really do the most difficult fights.

Aw has 3 minutes limit to do the fight, so one may say damage is utility
    3 mins is enough time for lower damage champs to do well, quake for example is amazing in aw and finishes with time to spare.
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    I am a little disappointed tbh, seems like a good mystic but thats the problem. Most of my mystics sit on the bench except ghost rider who is in AQ for his regen(who I will be swapping out soon) and magik who is useful for some matchups. I have SS at rank 5 and out of all of my rank 4 and 5 he gets the least play time. Thats the problem with mystics as they are very situational and doom seems to be in that category. He has the best prestige tho so I can see a new arena highscore.
  • DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 ★★★
    Mystics in general are the wet noodles of MCOC bc of their utilities. Theyre usually good for controlling the fight by gaining more power and/or nullifying buffs. This way, the opponent doesnt ramp up as easily while you always maintain an advantage in terms of power.

I like this in theory bc we cant have every champion fill every role. The problem is champs from other classes now have more utility AND far more damage output (**cough** Cosmic **cough**).

Long story short, im fine with Doom now. Im more annoyed about the other champs in comparison.
  • MhykkeMhykke Posts: 431 ★★★
    So I've been thinking that what the Mystic class needs is a generalized damage dealer, something all the other classes have. A champ that you take into a lot of fights b/c it doesn't really matter who you're fighting, your champion is going to do at least pretty well b/c they can dish out damage. The mystic class doesn't really have that, most of the time it's power control or buff counters that you're working with in regards to mystics.

I understand Kabam may be wary of adding a champ like this in mystics b/c of mystic dispersion, and that may make the champ too powerful (if he has great damage then getting to specials quickly just adds even more damage on top.) I was hoping Kabam would figure out a mechanic around this, something like trading power for increasing attack or something.

To me, mystics, even the best ones, have always felt like they had a specialized role, and you only use them if they can fulfill that role. I was really hoping Doom was going to be that mystic that you take to most fights b/c you don't care about who you're fighting, you're going to dish out some damage. Now this is only based on the videos I've seen, so I have to reserve judgment until I actually get the champ to play with, but it doesn't seem Doom is going to fulfill that role of mystic champ you're willing to take into most fights. Again, I could be wrong, but I am a bit disappointed, and feel like mystic still is lacking that thing the other classes have.

I'm sorry but if you haven't seen Namor in AW and AQ, then I'm afraid you haven't seen any videos or played these modes yourself.
    My alli is tier 5 and gold 1. We run 5x5 so your right I haven't played the most difficult aw and aq, but I have watched plenty of aw and aq footage from top tier players like KT1 and never once have I seen namor be used in aq or aw. If you could find an image/vid where he is that would be nice.

https://youtu.be/yIVvDxjBXKg

https://youtu.be/k_e9cb2fyrw

https://youtu.be/3VQnGvf-Cdg
    I worded my argument wrong so I conveyed the wrong point. What I meant to say is namor is not going to be used nearly as much as someone like corvus or ghost. He is a niche champ. You bring him for one or two fights and he does those well, but you don't use him for the majority of them. He is considered "beyond god tier" so I don't see why Doom, who is not going to be the champ you bring to everything, wouldn't be as well.
    If you want a champ that you are bringing to every fight to do massive damage then doom is not your champ and that is probably why people are disappointed, but he will have his place in the meta and will be a useful champ. There will be many people satisfied and there will be those that are not.
    Mhykke said:

So I've been thinking that what the Mystic class needs is a generalized damage dealer, something all the other classes have. A champ that you take into a lot of fights b/c it doesn't really matter who you're fighting, your champion is going to do at least pretty well b/c they can dish out damage. The mystic class doesn't really have that, most of the time it's power control or buff counters that you're working with in regards to mystics.

I understand Kabam may be wary of adding a champ like this in mystics b/c of mystic dispersion, and that may make the champ too powerful (if he has great damage then getting to specials quickly just adds even more damage on top.) I was hoping Kabam would figure out a mechanic around this, something like trading power for increasing attack or something.

To me, mystics, even the best ones, have always felt like they had a specialized role, and you only use them if they can fulfill that role. I was really hoping Doom was going to be that mystic that you take to most fights b/c you don't care about who you're fighting, you're going to dish out some damage. Now this is only based on the videos I've seen, so I have to reserve judgment until I actually get the champ to play with, but it doesn't seem Doom is going to fulfill that role of mystic champ you're willing to take into most fights. Again, I could be wrong, but I am a bit disappointed, and feel like mystic still is lacking that thing the other classes have.

Why is this a bad thing though? Mystics have always been niche. Other classes like cosmic are workhorse champs for a variety of situations, but not the best option. We need niche champs to dominate difficult fights. Doom is insane against any buff champ. Dork Lessons was able to take the all or nothing hype in v3 1.2 with him at r3.
  • MhykkeMhykke Posts: 431 ★★★

Mhykke said:

Why is this a bad thing though? Mystics have always been niche. Other classes like cosmic are workhorse champs for a variety of situations, but not the best option. We need niche champs to dominate difficult fights. Doom is insane against any buff champ. Dork Lessons was able to take the all or nothing hype in v3 1.2 with him at r3.
    Because the other classes have those kinds of champs while mystic doesn't? It's nice for balancing classes to have a mystic fulfill that role. And mystics already had a number of champs to counter buffs. Adding 1 more, even if he may be the best at it, doesn't add to the class, imo. Again, this is all without having played him.
    edited November 2019

If you want a champ that you are bringing to every fight to do massive damage then doom is not your champ and that is probably why people are disappointed, but he will have his place in the meta and will be a useful champ. There will be many people satisfied and there will be those that are not.

Doom will be nowhere near the meta unfortunately. Those spots are held by champs like Omega Red, Domino, Ghost, Hyperion, Corvus, Captain Marvel Movie, Capiw, etc. All these champs have one thing in common... top tier damage output paired with amazing utility. They can be used in a majority of fights in the game. All I am asking Kabam is to make some changes prior to the official release of the champ so that his full potential may be unlocked.

Major Issues:
    • Fury is up too shortly... needs longer aura duration on his third special
    •Furies only stack twice whereas champs like Namor, Ghost, Hyperion can stack without a cap in place (Or an easier solution could be to increase the fury on sp3 from 150% attack to 300%)

Minor Issues:
    •Sp2 incinerate is a bit short
    Your not understanding his point in game. He is quite possibly the best power control champ in game. Try taking a all or nothing hype with any if the champs you listed and it won't work (ghost with synergy can do it) nearly as well. Stop trying to make him something he is not.