**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

How are we supposed to fight defenders with unblockable, ranged attacks?

2Β»

Comments

• Options
    DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 β˜…β˜…β˜…

The reason I'm asking is because the growing number of unblockable RANGED specials is worrisome.

For a while, it wasn't much of an issue. The closest we had were the 2 Cyclops; who needed to maintain a combo meter to retain unblockable specials, and Loki, whose attacks do not have much distance.

So before, unblockable specials were much easier to control. Then, Fury and Captain Brie Larson came along. While technically still possible to avoid unblockable specials with precise timing, it does get quite difficult depending on circumstance. Fury's special 2; which tracks the opponent (like Dr. Strange's or Yondu's), and Brie's special 1; which spans the ENTIRE arena/platform, are practically unavoidable damage unless you are able to meticulously control their missions and binary mode respectively OR you can DEX (will be important later on).

Now, Brie and especially Fury, are challenging, albeit manageable, defenders with unique and enjoyable mechanics. However, the main issue I see is the trend they begun. Not long after, we received two ridiculous defenders in Mr. Fantastic and Dr. Doom; both having at least one special that spans the entire arena! And even worse, in certain side quests, Dr. Doom actually punishes anyone uses DEXTERITY. Which begs the question:

* How are you supposed to circumvent a special that cannot be blocked or dexed?

Since dexterity grants a buff, its detrimental to dash back during Doom's specials. And obviously, getting hit with specials isn't the smartest thing to do. So what are you even supposed to do? I get that you can bring a shock immune champ (not many choices there) or power control, but most power control champs drain, steal, or lock power via special 2 (except Visions, Doc Ock, and Psylocke who has reduced power gain).

Now, you can say "oh just git good", but think about Dr. Doom or Mr. Fantastic in nodes like "No Retreat", "Slashed Tires", "Spite", "Buffet" or any other nodes that punish dexterity. Now, place Doom in that node with a mostly-passive AI except with specials. Now you're practically at their mercy since you have no options other than to take damage. In other words:

* In the right node/champ combination, defenders with unblockable specials that span the entire arena can offer a matchup with literally no other strategy because all outcomes result in damage.

Unless you have Ghost/Hood or a max sig Daredevil, I don't see how you can one shot Doom on certain nodes (that we thankfully havent gotten). And I usually dont complain but Doom has the potential to be the most unfair and annoying defender ever due to lack of counters and strategies; something I've legitimately never encountered before.

TL:DR; A semi passive Dr. Doom on a "Slashed Tires"/"No Retreat" + "Spite"/"Buffet" + debuff immune node is a possible EQ node that scares me.

Just get good at dodgin lmao, the only one who is even slightly hard is Doom sp2
    Ive dodged it "lmao". Still had to deal with that EMP/Spite node πŸ‘€πŸ˜‚
  • Options
    DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 β˜…β˜…β˜…

the best is when folks feel the need to respond to everything, then are miffed when it becomes clear to them newer posters aren't reading these responses and are just adding "asked and answered" stuff.

also the best: expecting a different result from a company with a well detailed history of asking for forgiveness over asking for permission (see changelog, compensation packages, etc). if the data eventually shows something's too difficult, they might change something sometime. test it beforehand? pfffft

Nah. The best is when that one person interjects his/her own irrelevant opinions into an argument he/she was never part of to subtly point out flaws about everyone else just to make sure they understand how theres only one mature person in amongst a sea of idiots. Well. Second best. First is obviously A1 steak sauce