**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Bonus Parry Stun Time vs Perfect Block Mastery - by the numbers

2»

Comments

• DjinDjin Posts: 1,962 ★★★★★
    Stun that we get by parrying was never 2 seconds long for me. I've been running max Parry, max Stupefy and 0 points in Perfect Block Chance for a long time and the stun duration is 1.5 seconds only.

My speculation is that previous description stated the inclusive stun duration of both parry and perfect block chance, that is the sum of both.
    But now they will be mentioned individually.
  • Midknight007Midknight007 Posts: 764 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Lol. I'm usually one of the first people to call bull on Kabam but my understanding that this is just a description change. I don't think anything about Parry has changed since 12.0. There's been several threads recently about Parry and how it's description don't match and guessing those are why this is happening.

To me it is bs since when has the duration of stun from parry matter if you get a perfect block or not
    Does anyone have the old description of the parry mastery??
    This is what it said in June 2017 (from a video from Brian's channel):

Then at some point it was changed to say this (this is from circa December 2018):

It always seems to have said the chance varied with Perfect Block chance. It doesn't vary depending on whether you actually get a perfect block or not, it just varies with your PB chance. Perfect Block chance is like a strength modifier for the Parry stun.

The problem is when you look at that later description, it doesn't say "up to" it says you get a stun of a certain duration, *and also* it goes up with Perfect Block chance. The reasonable inference is that your stun starts at the quoted value and increases with Perfect Block chance. The original description more clearly states that the quoted value isn't the minimum value it is the maximum possible value.

My guess is someone decided to add the "with basic attacks" part, and then without thinking about the semantic consequences dropped the "up to" part.
    Actually, the basic attacks was added to the description because originally you could even parry SP1 and SP2s. There was a lot of complaints about the mechanics.
  • NeotwismNeotwism Posts: 1,803 ★★★★★

For everyone in this thread complaining about parry being nerfed or whatever, consider this. Nobody has ever brought this issue up or complained about it until kabam mentioned it, which means everyone was fine with the way it worked. It is not being changed in any way at all, only the description, and we are getting free units and a period to freely shuffle around masteries for absolutely NOTHING. The people on here complaining puzzle me

We aren't getting free units. We are just getting back units we previously may have spent. That's a pretty big difference.
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,962 ★★★★★
    If I have 1 point in Parry, max Stupefy, max Perfect Block Chance, will the stun last 2.5 seconds every time I perform well-timed block?
    Or will it depend on whether the block was perfect block.
  • OctoberstackOctoberstack Posts: 872 ★★★★
    edited February 2020

Sunspot just got nerfed..extended stun was his only chance to recover incinerates

@Bajjsbwuqjw Haha I can't lie I do enjoy your seemingly personal vendetta against Sunspot whenever I see you pop up on the forums.

Sunspot can actually purify incinerates and convert them back into solar charges every time he perfect blocks, works the same way as charging his heavy. So stun-heavy isn't 'his only chance to recover incinerates'.

Since his perfect block operates differently and can actually extend to every hit of a combo or special, he can parry the first hit of a mutli-hit special (i.e., Winter Solider's SP2) or combo, to:

- perfect block every single hit, taking 0 damage
    - purify 1 incinerate on the opponent per hit, regaining 1 solar charge per incinerate purified

This actually makes him very useful against stun-immune matchups (contrary to popular belief), as he can perfect block entire combos to bait and punish heavies whilst taking no damage (as long as the opponent is incinerated). Admittedly he is gimped by debuff-immune matchups, but then against no champ is perfect across every situation.
  • Stellar said:

DNA3000 said:

Lol. I'm usually one of the first people to call bull on Kabam but my understanding that this is just a description change. I don't think anything about Parry has changed since 12.0. There's been several threads recently about Parry and how it's description don't match and guessing those are why this is happening.

To me it is bs since when has the duration of stun from parry matter if you get a perfect block or not
    Does anyone have the old description of the parry mastery??
    This is what it said in June 2017 (from a video from Brian's channel):

Then at some point it was changed to say this (this is from circa December 2018):

It always seems to have said the chance varied with Perfect Block chance. It doesn't vary depending on whether you actually get a perfect block or not, it just varies with your PB chance. Perfect Block chance is like a strength modifier for the Parry stun.

The problem is when you look at that later description, it doesn't say "up to" it says you get a stun of a certain duration, *and also* it goes up with Perfect Block chance. The reasonable inference is that your stun starts at the quoted value and increases with Perfect Block chance. The original description more clearly states that the quoted value isn't the minimum value it is the maximum possible value.

My guess is someone decided to add the "with basic attacks" part, and then without thinking about the semantic consequences dropped the "up to" part.
    So, with the new Parry we lost from 0.5 to 1 second of stun unless you spend mastery point to better your perfect block. A thing we didn't have to do before...
    The pictures you quote literally state that you *always* needed to have higher perfect block chance to get better stun duration. The 2017 one even states that the stun only lasts *up to* the number, not that number and higher.

It is the 2018 description that seems to imply that you get two seconds of stun (max tier) plus more, but that description is wrong. It was tested to be incorrect by the players, which means the 2018 version of Parry was actually identical (at least in terms of stun duration) to the 2017 Parry. And since 2020 tests in February from before this announcement basically replicated those tests, that means Parry has been stunning for essentially the same amount of time from July 2017 until today. So which new Parry are you referring to, because it hasn't changed stun duration mechanics in almost three years, and probably more.
  • I’ve read the thread and I need to get a clarification because I’m not quite understanding the whole up to depending stuff.

What I’m understanding it is: if your champ has, say, 10% Perfect Block Chance, it’ll add 10% of the listed bonus duration. For 40% PFC, it’ll be 40% of listed bonus duration.

I want to confirm, please, that it’s based on the rating of the Chance, rather than “if you perfect block you get longer stun.”

For Sunspot, well he gets 100% PFC when his thing activates, so he’ll get it no matter what.

But for other champs does this slightly randomise the stun length - longer stun when getting a perfect block - or always be a consistent stun length - your champ with synergies and masteries has 16% PFC so you’ll always get 16% of the possible extended duration?
  • @GeneralBlagger , it is based on P.B. Chance, not whether or not you actually pull off a P.B. on any particular Parry instance.

But would be interesting to get acknowledgement from Kabam about potential “IN-FIGHT” fluctuations to either the Attackers or Defenders (in AW/Arena cases) Perfect Block Chance.
    Whether or not the Bonus Stun Time will fluctuate during fight with changing P.B. Chance, or whether based on just pre-fight flat amount (Profile/Masteries/Synergies).

Such as Sunspot or Human Torch, when Incinerates or Nova Flames Opponent, Opponent loses all his P.B. Chance.
    (or potentially Sunspot parry of his own (?) when opponent incinerated, increases Sunspot P.B. Chance to 100%, if that is what his ability language is suggesting, since why does it include the phrase “for the duration of opponent's Combo” ? Is that to imply for rest of Combo when it DID Parry but did NOT actually Stun Opponent to go along with the Parry ???)
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited February 2020
    Yea it fluctuates during a fight based on PB chance. Awakened CA will stun for longer as he loses HP due to his sig ability and awakened CAWW2 will stun opponents with buffs for longer than when they do not have buffs.

And yes Sunspot’s caveat is there for stun immunity.
  • @SummonerNR thanks. I was pretty sure that’s how it is supposed to be read but confirmation always helps.

That means that a 4% PBC (I just realised my earlier post was PFC 🤦‍♂️) increases stun time by 0.02 seconds. To what decimal does Kabam round times to? Does it actually track to the hundredths; the thousandths? As in, with 1 rank in parry and with 33% PBC, am I getting a stun time of 1.665 seconds?
    1.5+(0.5x0.33)=1.665
    Or does it round to 1.7 seconds?

I supposed the -cough- retentive geek in me is escaping with that question because 1/1000 of a second is meaningless, but Superman 3 showed how it can add up! And DC always make truthful and awesome movies 🤣
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,347 ★★★★★
    edited February 2020
    My problem with this thread is that the OP has (probably unintentionally) made an absurd and groundless assumption, and then gone on about how useless a particular mastery is because of it.

Where does it say anywhere that the benefit from your perfect block chance is directly proportionate?

What if it were inversely proportional?

It's entirely possible that you get an extra 0.2s at 5% perfect block, 0.4s at 20% perfect block, 0.8s at 60% perfect block, and only the full 1.0s at 100% perfect block. You'd still notice the effects with a champion like Captain America (who starts at 40% PB, but can reach over 80%). But good luck calculating it since you don't know if Cap's Signature ability scales directly or inversely proportionately either. So you don't actually know what his PB chance is...

If you want to answer the question 'Is there any value to maxing out Perfect Block' then ask that question. But don't make assumptions to sway the discussion without providing a shed of evidence.

• CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited February 2020
    This all played out 3 years ago on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/ContestOfChampions/comments/4adgdd/parry_33_stupefy_33_dont_give_a_25_seconds_stun/

Long story short you get a % of the additional stun duration based on PB chance. Rank 1 with 10%PB you get .5x.1=.05seconds, rank 2 with 10% you get .7x.1=.07seconds and rank 3 with 10% you get 1x.1=.1seconds.

This is more noticeable when you don’t use, or haven’t unlocked, Stupefy. Also when you use champions, or teams, with high perfect block chance as you can then do 7 hit combos. You can also see a difference in how many stuns you can reliably take advantage of against limber nodes.
  • My problem with this thread is that the OP has (probably unintentionally) made an absurd and groundless assumption, and then gone on about how useless a particular mastery is because of it.

Where does it say anywhere that the benefit from your perfect block chance is directly proportionate?

What if it were inversely proportional?

It's entirely possible that you get an extra 0.2s at 5% perfect block, 0.4s at 20% perfect block, 0.8s at 60% perfect block, and only the full 1.0s at 100% perfect block. You'd still notice the effects with a champion like Captain America (who starts at 40% PB, but can reach over 80%). But good luck calculating it since you don't know if Cap's Signature ability scales directly or inversely proportionately either. So you don't actually know what his PB chance is...

If you want to answer the question 'Is there any value to maxing out Perfect Block' then ask that question. But don't make assumptions to sway the discussion without providing a shed of evidence.

@Magrailothos , “absurd and groundless”, haha.
    See referral from CoatHang3r above, which also played out in the long running “since closed” thread in Forum as well regarding Parry that a lot of people put into that, which in the end resulted in Kabam actually correcting the WORDING description for Parry.

If you bothered to read, tests have been done utilizing a 40% P.B. chance Synergy team of Guardians/Galaxy, which were consistent with the scaling being directly proportional with other cases of not having that extra 40% P.B. So that (with an inherent ~10% chance) is essentially at halfway up the P.B. scale (50%), and the resulting stun times seemed consistent with only getting half of the extra “potential” bonus stun time that was always flatly stated as 1 sec (and now stated as 0.5, 0.7, or 1.0 sec based on Parry Level).

As well as other’s tests (in original) showing Parry Levels 2 and 3 (with only a bare minimum P.B. of a comon champ without any other increase). Showing there was essentially no difference between Level-1 and Level-3 (technically there is a very small difference, but who can even notice a 0.05 sec difference).

And lastly (using newer mentioned info about Sunspot being 100% P.B. chance once you apply Incinerate on Opponent), I’ve just done ROL WS testing using Sunspot as well. (Still on Level-3 Parry, and Max in Stupify also) before the Incinerate is applied, Sunspot parry stun runs out basically immediately after 3rd hit, MLL, of a MLLLM Combo, which is consistent with using most any other champ as well. Once Incinerated the stun time would last until after the full MLLLM for probably about an extra L worth (if you could do a 6-hit MLLLLLM combo). So lasting the full extra 1 sec worth of the 1 sec “potential” bonus stun time.