**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Small Scale PvP- let’s talk about ideas.

JChanceH9JChanceH9 Posts: 776 ★★★
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
I would like to have a discussion regarding what small scale PvP the community would enjoy.

In thinking about what I would like to see from the game, fast paced, “bingeable” (not having to wait on refreshing timers), rewarding, challenging, and competitive comes to mind. Below I’ll briefly outline an idea I’ve had, but I want to hear others’ ideas as well.

My idea is as follows...

With the advent of the new duel target system in game, there is really no reason to duel specific players, but that could open the door for a PvP duel system. I envision it being a fast paced matchmaking system in which player can queue to compete against another player in real time against boss rush style maps custom tailored by each player.

Before queuing, you would choose a defensive team of 5 champions which would benefit from synergies, opening the door to interesting new game theory and scheming. Additionally, each defender would have X number of nodes (difficulty of nodes varying on player PI), which you would handpick- like creating your own boss rush. These defenders and nodes could be saved to eliminate the need for repeating this process before requeuing each time.

Similar to incursions, once matched with an opponent, each player would fight parallel to the opponent on separate paths. However, instead of only being able to pick up buffs along the way (after fight 2, and 4), you could opt to instead place an additional defensive node on your next defender (3 and 5). The selection of offensive buffs and defensive nodes would be random, as buffs are currently in incursions, with 3 of each available for choosing.

Fights would be capped at X minutes, with timeouts resulting in 50% loss in current attacker health. Players may not start fight 3 or 5 until the opponent had selected the corresponding buff/node for that fight. Time between fights would be capped at 2 minutes to ensure no one could hold another player “hostage”. A player can forfeit at any point by leaving the match; however, this will result in forfeiting rewards for the match.

Points would be calculated based on combined remaining attacker health, the combined speed in which the player defeats the defenders, and multiplier based on node difficulty based on PI. This system could make suicide masteries a potential asset, or detriment to your overall success based on skill, planning, or sabotage by your opponent.

Champion boosts would not apply, nor would items be allowed. The price to enter each match would be 15 units (this should be more than offset by rewards for a win).

Rewards would be scaled to difficulty and dependent on whether you won or lost. An example for top tier reward would be 200 6* shards, 500 5* shards, and 10k battlechips for a win, and 1/4 of that for a loss. Season rewards would be similar to that of AW, complete with a leaderboard for ultimate bragging rights. Current season rank would be displayed on your profile.

TLDR:
My idea is a matchmaking mixture of boss rush/incursion style PvP complete with a competitive leaderboard and season rewards, incorporating synergies, nodes, and buffs.

All of this is open to input, and only a roughly polished idea. I would love to hear what everyone else would like to see in terms of small scale PvP.

Comments

• JChanceH9JChanceH9 Posts: 776 ★★★
    Unio77 said:

I read through this really fast and I got the idea that you wanted to do something along the lines of PvP but instead of co op with the player it's a race against each other to see who can complete a quest the fastest.

Them I re read your comment and was like, what was I thinking the first time.
    However I like the idea but I'm too stupid to add anything that can improve it

Thanks for taking the time to consider it and respond. I feel like something small scale, fast paced, and not based on refresh timers could be great for the game. If you had anything else in mind I’d love to hear what you’d like out of pvp.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    I have thought about things like this. I would eliminate the queue and the clock. If you wanted to participate, you'd flag yourself, like MMOs can flag for PvP. If you flag yourself, you create a "defense" and an attack team, and then the game finds a player with a similar range defense to your attack team. You can then attack their defense, and the game sends them a message that says you attacked them and gives them twenty four hours to counterattack. After they do, or the time expires, one side loses and the other side wins. You let everyone do a limited amount per week, but they can do them at their own times and you don't need to be online at the same time to challenge someone. Unlike with Incursions, if the random person you match with decides not to compete, this is a forfeit and you win, so random matches are not a problem as they can sometimes be in Incursions.

Also, allow friends to challenge friends, but because there's the possibility for collusion eliminate the rewards or restrict them to a limited amount of gold and battlechips - more or less what they could have gotten from just grinding arena instead of doing this.
  • Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,539 ★★★★★
    edited June 2020
    Knation said:

Unio77 said:

I read through this really fast and I got the idea that you wanted to do something along the lines of PvP but instead of co op with the player it's a race against each other to see who can complete a quest the fastest.

Them I re read your comment and was like, what was I thinking the first time.
    However I like the idea but I'm too stupid to add anything that can improve it

Exact same thing here came on to say how pvp couldn’t work and then saw it was actually a really good idea
    However it’s not unflawed maybe instead of choosing your champs it gives players both the same set of champions to create a fair matchup
    I would enjoy having a competitive speed race against other players. 1v1 or 1v1v1
    Each summoner is given all the champs in the game as a rank 3 6 star just for this game mode and they race to finish off the boss.

There can also be a global leaderboards where the fastest 1000 times are recorded and every month you receive rewards based on your ranking

This way it truly comes down to skill and each player will have the same rank of champs so no unfair advantages
  • UltimatheoryUltimatheory Posts: 520 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I have thought about things like this. I would eliminate the queue and the clock. If you wanted to participate, you'd flag yourself, like MMOs can flag for PvP. If you flag yourself, you create a "defense" and an attack team, and then the game finds a player with a similar range defense to your attack team. You can then attack their defense, and the game sends them a message that says you attacked them and gives them twenty four hours to counterattack. After they do, or the time expires, one side loses and the other side wins. You let everyone do a limited amount per week, but they can do them at their own times and you don't need to be online at the same time to challenge someone. Unlike with Incursions, if the random person you match with decides not to compete, this is a forfeit and you win, so random matches are not a problem as they can sometimes be in Incursions.

Also, allow friends to challenge friends, but because there's the possibility for collusion eliminate the rewards or restrict them to a limited amount of gold and battlechips - more or less what they could have gotten from just grinding arena instead of doing this.

I really like the idea of this. Maybe there could be two modes. One that has a rank system with the actual rewards and the other where you can challenge friends for minimal benefit.

I’ve wanted to see a solo competitive mode for a while now and I like a lot of the ideas presented here.
    DNA3000 said:

That’s a cool idea. I guess I was looking for something that might offer more fast paced, and easily repeatable in an afternoon off. There are a lot of creative things that they could do with PvP, and having a possibly longer, more methodical option like this could be cool, too.
  • RoherRoher Posts: 10
    It's great your idea, I like it. kabam should implement something like this..
    But what happen if I just lose purposely to let my friends get shards or vice versa?
    Roher said:

But what happen if I just lose purposely to let my friends get shards or vice versa?

My idea would mean matchmaking only, no challenging specific people, as to minimize potential abuse. You can still play AW, AQ, and incursions with friends.
  • DNA3000 said:

Isn't this sorta how the transformer game works?
    edited June 2020

JChanceH9 said:

Roher said:

My idea would mean matchmaking only, no challenging specific people, as to minimize potential abuse. You can still play AW, AQ, and incursions with friends.

fun reality check: i couldn't find where units or the use of items that cost units factor into this little exercise. figure out how kabam can get its $$$ from this and then you're actually serious about this...
    Another fun reality check: this is a rough idea, and can be refined as benefits the company and players.

Now that you’ve thrown the bath water out, maybe you can consider the baby.
  • NastyPhishNastyPhish Posts: 583 ★★★
    for small scale pvp. What if I just had my own 5/10/15 player aw map type thing? My individual defense. Single player pvp is just me queuing up and getting matched to someone with a similar strength. Then we go against each others defense and more points wins. Kinda like incursions. But No Items. No buffs. No revives.

Aw can now be where we sign up to the war list and when we get matched we just have a list of the bases we have to take down. Before this X date. This would be different and more about having good players in your alliance. That can handle bases. Also a single person not making it through their defense assignment wouldn’t be a big deal since some people on their side are gonna fail also. That’s ok. Bases can be retried by other members. For less points. Since a death occurred. But it’s not “do it or get kicked”

In both cases you get to bring 5 people and have the benefit of seeing the defense before you select your champs. But also you have to deal with champ/node combinations and deciding which nodes to leave up on the boss. Also in both cases you won’t have to actually place your defenders for each war. You have a static defense and change it only when you get upgrades or better champs. This changes both “ base duels” and your “aw” defense placements.

This would leave the future open to explore other game modes based on this general idea. 3x3? Quick que. 5x5? And 30x30 “all out war” nodes that take place in one day. the third Sunday of the month or whatever.

I think this idea has legs. Do it.
  • NastyPhishNastyPhish Posts: 583 ★★★
    Ps. Anything competitive shouldn’t have boosts or potions or revives. Competition shouldn’t be won with a visa. Or by hoarding revives. It should be by playing better. Now. Today. Only.
    Just wanted to say… I got pretty damn close 2 years ago.