**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why does Prestige matter?

LordTenzenLordTenzen Posts: 136
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Hi everybody. Serious question.

I always thought prestige was a way to rate champs, but it always seems that new champs are better..
A lot of people want to know the prestige of new champs but what for? My assumption was always, "if I rank them, they will be my top champ..."

What function does prestige serve? My guess is war..?

Sorry I am super uneducated in this department and would like to understand better.

Thanks!

Comments

• DL864DL864 Posts: 1,089 ★★★
    The new champs dont always have high prestige
  • LordTenzenLordTenzen Posts: 136
    DL864 said:

Aq

Can you or someone elaborate? Thanks!
    Thank you thats very helpful. So really only matters for AQ, which my alliance hardly does. We only rarely will go to Map 4 and usually stick to 3 or below depending on if war is going on.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    It matters because it's been used as an average gauge of the strength of your Account, and your Alliance. It's been used in AQ for a reason. It denotes limitations on what you can do within reason in the game. Now, there will always be some Players who can go through pretty much anything, but it's a number that averages reasonable strength.
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Higher average prestige. The higher you help increase your alliance prestige.

The higher your alliance prestige the more points you gain by clearing alliance quest everyday.

The higher you clear everyday the more of a boost from day to day.

By the end the more prestige the more points you end with alliance quest day 5 and higher you can Place in the ranking
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Hope that helps ^
    Yes, very helpful thank you. Really pushing me to start higher AQ maps.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    edited July 2020
    Arsoz said:

Prestige doesnt matter only top players care about prestige

not true lol. I need to get to 5.5k prestige asap to stay in my alliance. Its a struggle for players of all levels, especially the F2P ones
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★

Arsoz said:

not true lol. I need to get to 5.5k prestige asap to stay in my alliance. Its a struggle for players of all levels, especially the F2P ones
    5.5k prestige is like R4 5* unduped. It's not that bad.
  • NeotwismNeotwism Posts: 1,803 ★★★★★
    Usually players don't have to worry about prestige until after they reach Cavalier. That's when some alliances will have certain requirements in order to maximize their rewards. Most alliances doing map 5 and lower don't worry too much about prestige. In order to get a top prestige team it usually means spending money to get the new champs. Several sites have a prestige chart like auntm.ai if your interested.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,608 Guardian

Arsoz said:

@lowlevelplayer , what maps are your ally running that they require 5.5k prestige ?
    They can’t be trying to compete for the very high AQ series rank spots with that low of Prestige (compared to Ally's that are 9k+).

Maybe they’re just using Prestige as an alternative to overall Rating (or how many of certain Rank champs you have).
    But if they are using it to dictate basically WHO you have to have as your highest Prestige champs, that really is only valid for the top level Ally’s who have to “OUT-PRESTIGE” each other in order to get highest points while doing map 777x5.
  • Thanks_D19Thanks_D19 Posts: 1,480 ★★★★
    Prestige is just a number that measures a characters stats not how good they actually are, it is the base PI of a champion and the mean of the top 5 champions in your roster in terms of prestige is your profile prestige, this profile prestige affects alliance prestige and the higher your alliance prestige is the more points you will get from AQ
  • ThedancingkidThedancingkid Posts: 274 ★★

Arsoz said:

You’re better off finding an alliance that properly understands how the game works.
    Prestige requirements for alliances that don’t run all map6 at least are useless, and even then anything under 10k won’t make a significant difference in the rewards.

If you can clear your paths in AQ and war they shouldn’t have anything to complain about.

• MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★

Arsoz said:

I would respectfully suggest that your alliance leadership doesnt know what they're doing. At that level, even if you manage to get slightly ahead of your peers in aq ranking the next tier of rewards would be an insignificant difference. The only justification for this I can see would be if they really want people to have a full team of 5* r4 so you can start running a higher map in aq... but even then I'd rather have someone who is really good with a 4* quake vs someone with random unduped 5*s that they took up for prestige.
    ItsDamien said:

Arsoz said:

5.5k prestige is like R4 5* unduped. It's not that bad.
    Yea, but prestige is top 5 champs. That means I need at least 3 R4 high prestige champs.

Arsoz said:

@lowlevelplayer , what maps are your ally running that they require 5.5k prestige ?
    They can’t be trying to compete for the very high AQ series rank spots with that low of Prestige (compared to Ally's that are 9k+).

Maybe they’re just using Prestige as an alternative to overall Rating (or how many of certain Rank champs you have).
    But if they are using it to dictate basically WHO you have to have as your highest Prestige champs, that really is only valid for the top level Ally’s who have to “OUT-PRESTIGE” each other in order to get highest points while doing map 777x5.
    our leadership is not dictating our rank-ups, but its a factor that we consider. I'm fairly lucky to have pulled good, high prestige 5*s, but others aren't.
    BHR doesn't really matter at all, so I guess you could say prestige is a substitute.
    PS. we run 55444 44443 44433

Arsoz said:

our leadership is not dictating our rank-ups, but its a factor that we consider. I'm fairly lucky to have pulled good, high prestige 5*s, but others aren't.
    BHR doesn't really matter at all, so I guess you could say prestige is a substitute.
    You’re really just confirming that your leader doesn’t really understand what they’re doing. Prestige absolutely doesn’t matter if you’re doing these maps. You’ll get much further as an alliance if you let people rank up the champs they like and can play well with completely removed from prestige considerations.

Arsoz said:

You’re really just confirming that your leader doesn’t really understand what they’re doing. Prestige absolutely doesn’t matter if you’re doing these maps. You’ll get much further as an alliance if you let people rank up the champs they like and can play well with completely removed from prestige considerations.

as I said, no one is forcing prestige rank ups in my alliance

Arsoz said:

You say you guys consider prestige when ranking up and mention you’ve been luckier than most when pulling high prestige champs. It shouldn’t be a factor at all.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,608 Guardian

Yet you said they want Prestige of 5.5k. Hopefully that is just a generalization, and that 5.4 or 5.3 would be just as fine with them, if a 5.3 reflects the same number of champs at certain Rank as what someone with 5.5 has, regardless of WHO the champs are.

Point being, I’d much rather have people have their highest ranked champs be champs that are better, not caring whether a champ has a higher Prestige number versus another one if comparing between the two.

As to very opening question, top contenders want to know base Prestige of new champs so that they know whether they should really push and go after getting them and ranking them to max, so that they can squeeze out an ever so slightly higher Prestige # for their Ally, to slightly squeak past other top Ally’s for slightly more AQ points at the very top.

Arsoz said:

You say you guys consider prestige when ranking up and mention you’ve been luckier than most when pulling high prestige champs. It shouldn’t be a factor at all.
    why not? I feel like higher tier players have a very rosy nostalgic feel about lower level alliances and players. You just assume that we don't have a care in the world, we rank up who we love, we don't need to worry about nodes, etc...
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    You need to worry about nodes, not an arbitrary metric that kabam put into aq scoring to push top players to get the newest champs regardless of their utility. If you're in act 5 something like Rogue could be way more useful than Silver Surfer.
    Menkent said:

You need to worry about nodes, not an arbitrary metric that kabam put into aq scoring to push top players to get the newest champs regardless of their utility. If you're in act 5 something like Rogue could be way more useful than Silver Surfer.

rogue more useful than surfer? no way