This Version of Root is Broken

EtjamaEtjama Posts: 6,354 ★★★★★
First of all, the timer is all wrong and it's really throwing me off. Second of all, the root description says you're supposed to be able to attack. But distancing won't actually let you. All your attacks whiff when you try to attack them after you've parried.

Comments

  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,050 ★★★★
    it works for me. if it troubles you this much, maybe try doing one of the easier quests that come later.
  • JueVioleGraceJueVioleGrace Posts: 1,313 ★★★★★
    Yeah I was confused as well. It says 1000 hits (which would be so impractical) when in reality it's every 10 hits. Looks like they messed up the wording.

    The attacking though, I don't know what's up with that.
  • Yeah I was confused as well. It says 1000 hits (which would be so impractical) when in reality it's every 10 hits. Looks like they messed up the wording.

    The attacking though, I don't know what's up with that.

    It’s a new mechanic.
    Everything that is new has bugs.
    Every new update has bugs,
    every new tune up has bugs,
    every time they do maintenance, it has bugs.
    Play long enough, and you get “immune” to the bugs.
  • Yeah I was confused as well. It says 1000 hits (which would be so impractical) when in reality it's every 10 hits. Looks like they messed up the wording.

    The attacking though, I don't know what's up with that.

    It’s a new mechanic.
    Everything that is new has bugs.
    Every new update has bugs,
    every new tune up has bugs,
    every time they do maintenance, it has bugs.
    Play long enough, and you get “immune” to the bugs.
    So basically, I am like Apocalypse
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 1,434 ★★★
    The timer is working fine for me. And I’m pretty sure you’re still supposed to knock back the opponent when hitting them so whiffing lights after a medium is to be expected
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 1,019 ★★★
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, I thought it was working weird. No, you can't attack. If you are mid combo it basically acts as if the defender has evaded, become unstoppable or triggered miss mechanic then punishes. Your next attack immediately whiffs when it activates mid combo and the defender retaliates. So, I agree.. this is not in line with the description of how the mechanic works. This seems more like a falter debuff except your character is locked in place when it happens.
  • Hazzalec1Hazzalec1 Posts: 424 ★★★
    It’s working fine for me. But yes I do wish that we could properly fit in a combo. Maybe change the ‘knockback’ of the attacks when rooted or something?
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 1,434 ★★★
    I forgot to try this but I wonder if the same thing happens if you’re just going light attacks or have the opponent against the wall
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,050 ★★★★
    Etjama said:

    ItsDamien said:

    My only complaint about the root mechanic that I've noticed more in this version, is that the ring size seems to push the defender out of range for most punishing attacks, such as mediums and some heavy attacks when it first activates. The "ring" needs to be smaller.

    Yeah, I thought it was working weird. No, you can't attack. If you are mid combo it basically acts as if the defender has evaded, become unstoppable or triggered miss mechanic then punishes. Your next attack immediately whiffs when it activates mid combo and the defender retaliates. So, I agree.. this is not in line with the description of how the mechanic works. This seems more like a falter debuff except your character is locked in place when it happens.

    Exactly. I'ma skip day 3 for now just cause this is so annoying.
    good idea
  • 7or77or7 Posts: 30
    edited November 2020
    With root active, after parrying the opponent, heavy attack sometimes connects, sometimes it doesn’t. With root active, after parrying, the first basic attack connects, but any remaining basic attacks in the combo whiff. If root activates mid-combo, the remainder of attacks in the combo whiff. This is likely occurring because you hit the opponent backwards a little bit with each basic attack hit, but if you are rooted, you don’t follow their movement back which takes you out of the range of their hit box.
  • 1_ShuNeu_11_ShuNeu_1 Posts: 375 ★★★
    So what exactly is the point of this interpretation of root? It’s like making a purposefully broken mechanic
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,050 ★★★★

    Moot4Life said:

    Etjama said:

    ItsDamien said:

    My only complaint about the root mechanic that I've noticed more in this version, is that the ring size seems to push the defender out of range for most punishing attacks, such as mediums and some heavy attacks when it first activates. The "ring" needs to be smaller.

    Yeah, I thought it was working weird. No, you can't attack. If you are mid combo it basically acts as if the defender has evaded, become unstoppable or triggered miss mechanic then punishes. Your next attack immediately whiffs when it activates mid combo and the defender retaliates. So, I agree.. this is not in line with the description of how the mechanic works. This seems more like a falter debuff except your character is locked in place when it happens.

    Exactly. I'ma skip day 3 for now just cause this is so annoying.
    good idea
    They asked for feedback... go be a keyboard warrior somewhere else.
    my bad
  • avenge_123avenge_123 Posts: 924 ★★★
    I really did not like this mechanic,so annoying
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 1,369 ★★★★
    It sucked except for the one time I got rooted and had the opponent pinned against the wall. Then it was on like Donkey Kong.
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 1,019 ★★★
    7or7 said:

    With root active, after parrying the opponent, heavy attack sometimes connects, sometimes it doesn’t. With root active, after parrying, the first basic attack connects, but any remaining basic attacks in the combo whiff. If root activates mid-combo, the remainder of attacks in the combo whiff. This is likely occurring because you hit the opponent backwards a little bit with each basic attack hit, but if you are rooted, you don’t follow their movement back which takes you out of the range of their hit box.

    Right, I think the biggest difference this time is that it's the longest duration of it we've experienced and this was the first time it was active during our attacks. The others were only during a window of defending against an attack. And in the last two versions I actually kind of liked it. It was an experience check.. do you know the actual timing of these defenders special attacks? I thought it was fun to test myself and make sure I did. Because timing is the only way to avoid them as range was removed as a factor. And as someone mentioned, there could be interesting ways to capitalize on close proximity after evading the attack. Which is a really cool concept and way to reward skill/experience. This last version seems to need some work still?
  • Unio77Unio77 Posts: 1,781 ★★★★★
    edited November 2020
    I take back everything I've said about root.
    Today's version of root where you need to 10 hits to reset the the timer is just plain broken.
    I lost my entire team due to how broken it is.

    It's states in roots description that we can still attack but we won't move and today that was just thrown out the window.

    Ok so here's what happened. I got my opponent against the wall and as I finished my combo I got rooted. No Biggie that was my plan. But as a tried to attack, keep in mind I was right next to my opponent and his back was against the wall all my attack weren't making contact.

    This is just too big to seem like an error.
    Y'all have already messed up this mechanic that I was vouching for.
    Not even a week and Kabam have already rigged the ****
    Good luck kabam with trying to keep players from leaving due to your mechanic that doesn't even follow its own rules!!
  • Wubbie075Wubbie075 Posts: 410 ★★
    It says you can attack. When you swipe or tap to attack does y0ur champ not attack?

    It does not say you are able to connect on your attacks against opponents who are out of your reach. That would just be dumb and nullify the entire point of the effect.
  • Unio77Unio77 Posts: 1,781 ★★★★★
    Wubbie075 said:

    It says you can attack. When you swipe or tap to attack does y0ur champ not attack?

    It does not say you are able to connect on your attacks against opponents who are out of your reach. That would just be dumb and nullify the entire point of the effect.

    Did you not read what I wrote properly. My opponent was against the wall unable to move back and I was right in from of him. If I could record what was happening i would show you.
    My attacks were just going clean through the opponent like ghosts phasing.
  • Charlie21540Charlie21540 Posts: 360 ★★
    I just down right hate the Icky Sticky version of the root mechanic. The AI plays passively, then you get locked into place with no way to defend yourself because your attacks are just gonna miss, I dont mind the version of root from day one where you got locked during special attacks but this one is poorly designed. It just sets you up to get destroyed, nothing else. It needs to be looked at a bit more and some sort of change needs to be made.
  • Charlie21540Charlie21540 Posts: 360 ★★
    A suggestion maybe to fix this issue, is if you're rooted you cant go backwards period but can move forward as long as your attacking. Like you're champion can't walk up to the defender, it purely has to be attacks and thats the only sort if forward movement you can make. It'll still be set up with the idea that you're gonna have to dodge attacks or block or whatever you gotta do to survive the time you're rooted but also makes it so that you're not completely helpless and can actually fight back instead of your attacks just missing.
  • QacobQacob Posts: 1,290 ★★★★★
    I just used stealthy and BWDO, with their 7 hit combos it's very easy to reset the timer. Otherwise I just backed up when it was about to trigger and then when rooted i parried and heavied, preferably with a 1 hit heavy to avoid whiffing.
  • Wubbie075Wubbie075 Posts: 410 ★★
    Unio77 said:

    Wubbie075 said:

    It says you can attack. When you swipe or tap to attack does y0ur champ not attack?

    It does not say you are able to connect on your attacks against opponents who are out of your reach. That would just be dumb and nullify the entire point of the effect.

    Did you not read what I wrote properly. My opponent was against the wall unable to move back and I was right in from of him. If I could record what was happening i would show you.
    My attacks were just going clean through the opponent like ghosts phasing.
    There are a lot of posts in this thread. I did not quote you. Why would you assume I was replying specifically to your post?

    Also, I did not experience what you described. I whiffed on some but not all attacks when I had someone against the wall. That honestly did not seem out of line to me.

    I thought it was a fun effect that added excitement to the fights.
Sign In or Register to comment.