**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Long Post: The Curse of Being First -- Why Iron Man Struggles

ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
Hi, folks! Long post incoming about my experiences with Iron Man as a playable character over the years in various games, including MCoC and now MRoC.

As always, for those who don't want to read all the way to the end, the TL: DR version is this: Iron Man is usually among the first playable characters in Marvel-based games, and his kit is usually among the least powerful characters because developers typically don't scale Iron Man's burst damage and utility very well in early builds. The character almost always starts behind in basically every meta I can recall and usually never catches up, and sadly, we have seen it in both MCoC and now MRoC.

Iron Man has the speed and destructive capacity of a fully armed fighter jet, the raw power of a tank, and the durability and sustainability of a battleship. Repulsor rays and the Uni-Beam punch through stone and metal. Onboard missiles destroy vehicles and tanks. The armor can punch through walls and stone, lift tons of weight. It can withstand high-caliber bullets and explosions, being punched by Thor and the Hulk. That's base stuff; never mind the targeting systems, onboard computing and various other things.

Now, answer this question: Does that sound like any Iron Man you've played in most video games? Especially on the first build?

Now answer this question: Isn't that the description of an Iron Man you WANT to play?

Why is there such a discrepancy -- dating back decades -- between the Iron Man of comics lore and the Iron Man we get in games?

What drove me to write is that if you've played MRoC, Kabam's newest release, you already probably know that the Iron Man kit is...well. The SP1 is...not great. The SP2...literally fires multiple projectiles that might not hit a single thing. While the SP3 is very good, it takes forever to charge and, once used, recharge.

No force field or energy absorption. No stun. No knockback. No AoE (area of effect). No all defense down. No armor break...yep.

That's just Iron Man upon new game release AGAIN -- not only not in the meta, but somehow doing nothing well enough to even come close to being in the meta.

Iron Man in MRoC needs a rework...on Launch Week.

This is not surprising for those of us old people who have played Marvel video games for years and years.

Anyone remember Avengers Alliance? It took basically four uniforms to get an Iron Man that was usable.

Marvel Future Fight? I think he had five uniforms before his Endgame uniform made Iron Man usable.

Marvel Heroes? Basically the same amount of uniforms and rebalances.

OG Iron Man in MCoC? Well. Every single person who has one desperately wants a monstrous rework...because it is basically unplayable.

Even Iron Man IW, while a very solid kit, was the defensive character upon release while Captain America IW hit harder offensively and has significant utility.

But why? Why is that?

Iron Man: Armed like a fighter jet, powerful like a tank, sustainable like a battleship. The pinnacle of military might.

Why doesn't Iron Man ever feel that way?

I think it's because early releases of games try so hard to make everything balanced, they actually eliminate almost every good thing about Iron Man that should make him stand apart.

In early builds of games with leveling systems, yeah, it's ridiculous, but a 3/30 Hawkeye, a 3/30 Thor, a 3/30 Black Widow, and a 3/30 Iron Man all hit almost exactly the same.

No matter what you do, in early builds, the DPS of early character releases is almost exactly the same.

I have called it "The Curse of Being First" for basically 35 years now.

In almost every game, characters like Hyperion, Ghost and Aegon come 12-18 months after the game drops.

Most of us have heard of "power creep" before, because it's real. The only thing worse than being among the first releases in a comic=based video game is not being released at all.

Medusa gets Armor Shatter and multiple furies when awakened. Vision (Aarkus) gets Armor Shatter and immense power gain.

OG Iron Man gets an RNG-based chance to have a short Armor Break and Armor Up.

See what I mean?

So, yeah.

I am hoping that a StarkTech massive overhaul comes to MCoC. I have been hoping that for years, written about it before.

Sadly, I am gonna have to expand my hopes that a StarkTech overhaul in MRoC doesn't take that long.

That's it! Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,805 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

Now, answer this question: Does that sound like any Iron Man you've played in most video games? Especially on the first build?

when the only game that has ever actually made me feel like Iron Man from the get go is the movie tie in game, there’s a problem
  • Options

ESF said:

when the only game that has ever actually made me feel like Iron Man from the get go is the movie tie in game, there’s a problem
    It's gone on so long, I don't even know why I try to main Iron Man builds in any game

I mean, it's just...it's amazing to me. All kind of developers, genres, formats

Iron Man hardly ever is top of the meta and usually isn't even IN the meta
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    Unfortunately he is one of the most popular Marvel characters today, causing him to be the first added to any Marvel game. As such he has the base kit of what the game had at launch, and ends up being much weaker than most characters.
  • Options
    @DNA3000 Thanks for the detailed response, as always. I appreciate the extra insight into this process.

Man, is it frustrating. MRoC...man. It is frustrating. Don’t know if you have tried it yet, but once you hit maybe 400 Battle Rating, it’s almost impossible to carry an Iron Man kit on a strike team.

It is so frustrating.
  • Options
    EdeuinkEdeuink Posts: 1,263 ★★★★
    Yeah, he’s not great in mroc. I have a friend who has very strong synergies for iron man lasers and those synergies only make him marginally viable in the top tier of gameplay. (I’ve been playing since the start of the beta and my iron man is at 765 br because the alt weapon is half decent).
  • Options
    Edeuink said:

Yeah, he’s not great in mroc. I have a friend who has very strong synergies for iron man lasers and those synergies only make him marginally viable in the top tier of gameplay. (I’ve been playing since the start of the beta and my iron man is at 765 br because the alt weapon is half decent).

Thanks for letting me know that -- seriously. I need to just stop pumping resources into the gear and leveling, hoping a light will turn on
  • Options
    SormorSormor Posts: 14
    @DNA3000 Man you've pretty much described the lifecycle of every dev team I've ever been on almost perfectly, and I code regular, boring software. You'd think changing a button color would be the end of the world, even when it's objectively better.
  • Options
    PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    edited December 2020
    ESF said:

Edeuink said:

Thanks for letting me know that -- seriously. I need to just stop pumping resources into the gear and leveling, hoping a light will turn on
    I remember you were one of the first that said Silver surfer was a great champ. People are starting to realize that now. While I don't have him as a 5 or 6 star, I have played around with him to see his overall use in game. respect mate.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/173526/omg-lol-i-see-what-you-did-with-silver-surfer-kabam#latest

This was the post btw in anyone is interested.
  • Options
    Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    I was having some fun with him in MRoC but the only thing that really damaged opponents was his third special attack. Might switch to Hulk or something
  • Options
    ESF said:

@DNA3000 Thanks for the detailed response, as always. I appreciate the extra insight into this process.

Man, is it frustrating. MRoC...man. It is frustrating. Don’t know if you have tried it yet, but once you hit maybe 400 Battle Rating, it’s almost impossible to carry an Iron Man kit on a strike team.

It is so frustrating.

I've only played it enough to still be at the lower levels (I don't even know what my Iron Man is right now). At the levels of play I'm in, there are only two kinds of players: good players that just kill everybody, and ants that run around on the screen shooting at every butterfly that flits past their helmet. I'm in between those two, so I beat all of the second type of players and get eviscerated by most of the first ones.

But that's kind of deliberate: when I'm playing a new game like this, I make zero effort to min/max anything. Or even max anything. I'm only spending resources to level, and I just equip the best gear that drops randomly and I'm selling the rest, because I know there's literally nothing I can do at this stage of the game that will mean anything in a month. Either I will play enough to outlevel everything I'm handed now, or I'll quit. Either way, when I'm still trying to figure out if the game is something I actually want to play, its better to stick to dancing with the ants.
  • Options
    PlayerAPlayerA Posts: 9
    they could do some fun stuff with him. These are my ideas
    his missiles (incinerate damage), make his beams inflict shock, give him a way to like multiply his shock/incinerate mentioned previously to get some massive damage, and give him a consistent armor break on basic attacks like cap marvel movie