**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why the Ice Man doesn't resist the freezing winds

Comments

• DigletGamingDigletGaming Posts: 849 ★★★★
    Because ice is bigger, it has more heat energy... thats what i think
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,759 ★★★★★
    He is not immune or resistant to it
  • PhanPhan Posts: 10
    Even though he was a user of the ice power?
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    DNA gave a detailed explanation to this somewhere, I forgot, but it was essentially talking about how Iceman has the ability to lower the kinetic energy of an object or surrounding objects. Heat is a form of kinetic energy, as molecules move and thus create heat. Since what we perceive as "cold" isn't heat but the lack thereof, and we know that slower-moving molecules give off less heat than faster-moving molecules, we can infer that Iceman can change the kinetic energy of objects, and more precisely, lower the kinetic energy.

However, this ability doesn't prevent Iceman's molecules from being slowed down. This is where Iceman's lack of immunity to Coldsnap and Frostbite effects comes in. Iceman isn't immune to kinetic energy reduction.
  • Mars_UltorMars_Ultor Posts: 159

DNA gave a detailed explanation to this somewhere, I forgot, but it was essentially talking about how Iceman has the ability to lower the kinetic energy of an object or surrounding objects. Heat is a form of kinetic energy, as molecules move and thus create heat. Since what we perceive as "cold" isn't heat but the lack thereof, and we know that slower-moving molecules give off less heat than faster-moving molecules, we can infer that Iceman can change the kinetic energy of objects, and more precisely, lower the kinetic energy.

However, this ability doesn't prevent Iceman's molecules from being slowed down. This is where Iceman's lack of immunity to Coldsnap and Frostbite effects comes in. Iceman isn't immune to kinetic energy reduction.

NERD!
    Don’t worry, coming from me that’s a compliment.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,939 ★★★★★
    edited January 2021

Summary: Coldness is the slowing of molecules. Iceman can slow molecules, but cannot stop his own molecules from being slowed.
  • H3t3rH3t3r Posts: 2,879 Guardian
    Crcrcrc said:

Summary: Coldness is the slowing of molecules. Iceman can slow molecules, but cannot stop his own molecules from being slowed.
    Apparently sabretooth can.
    H3t3r said:

Crcrcrc said:

Apparently sabretooth can.
    The fur insulates his body, causing his molecules to slow down at a much slower pace. I have no clue why Sasquatch is only 90% resistant though.

Yes, I love when people disagree with science.
    HI_guys said:

Because you could just say balance and move on. There were a bunch of scientific essays about how ghost rider should not be immune to incinerate and look what happened.

Also growth te is the freezing of surface skin and tissues . That obviously can't happen to iceman because it already is frozen. Dont know about coldsbap
    One could argue that since Iceman is made out of organic ice, he could essentially get to a low enough temperature where he would "freeze". Since Iceman is able to move freely, we can infer that he isn't really "frozen" at room temperature. We know that he will surely freeze at 0 Kelvin so we know that he will begin to sustain damage from the lack of heat at some point and to add on to that, movement would cease as well, rendering Iceman frozen.
    HI_guys said:

Because you could just say balance and move on. There were a bunch of scientific essays about how ghost rider should not be immune to incinerate and look what happened.

Also growth te is the freezing of surface skin and tissues . That obviously can't happen to iceman because it already is frozen. Dont know about coldsbap
    Anything frozen can get colder until it hits absolute zero. That is the point at which all molecules stop moving and cannot be slowed any more. Iceman is not at absolute zero so therefore he can get colder and get frostbite and coldsnap
    HI_guys said:

And while that was an acceptable reason when he was first released, it's no longer an acceptable reason now, so I like to think of other reasons why.
    HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

And while that was an acceptable reason when he was first released, it's no longer an acceptable reason now, so I like to think of other reasons why.
    How is science acceptable one day and unacceptable the other when none of the variables have changed?
    I mean the explanation that Iceman isn't Coldsnap immune because of balance reasons. As for the scientific explanation for Ghost Rider, hellfire is inherently magical, therefore all scientific explanation for that phenomenon would be grasping for straws.
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★

Tell me how science proves that Sabretooth should be Coldsnap immune and I'd agree with you. You're right, Science does prove that Iceman shouldn't be Coldsnap immune. But that explanation turns to sh*t when you consider there are Coldsnap immunes in the game. You can try to justify it, but it's just unjustifiable.
    Etjama said:

Tell me how science proves that Sabretooth should be Coldsnap immune and I'd agree with you. You're right, Science does prove that Iceman shouldn't be Coldsnap immune. But that explanation turns to sh*t when you consider there are Coldsnap immunes in the game. You can try to justify it, but it's just unjustifiable.
    Did I ever say that it was scientifically logical that Sabertooth is Immune to Coldsnap? No. I only said that it makes sense why Iceman isn't Immune. I agree that Sabertooth shouldn't be Immune and rather be Resistant to Coldsnap.

You fail to see that just because I'm saying Iceman isn't Immune to Coldsnap doesn't mean I'm justifying why Sabertooth is.
    edited January 2021

Etjama said:

Did I ever say that it was scientifically logical that Sabertooth is Immune to Coldsnap? No. I only said that it makes sense why Iceman isn't Immune. I agree that Sabertooth shouldn't be Immune and rather be Resistant to Coldsnap.

You fail to see that just because I'm saying Iceman isn't Immune to Coldsnap doesn't mean I'm justifying why Sabertooth is.
    But you can't use that reasoning to justify Iceman's being Coldsnap immune when Sabretooth, Corvus, etc. are immune. It makes that reasoning moot. It's like me saying Warlock shouldn't be immune to poison because some acids classify as poison and acids can still effect Warlock when frickin Mysterio is immune to poison. It doesn't make sense.
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

But you can't use that reasoning to justify Iceman's being Coldsnap immune when Sabretooth, Corvus, etc. are immune. It makes that reasoning moot. It's like me saying Warlock shouldn't be immune to poison because some acids classify as poison and acids can still effect Warlock when frickin Mysterio is immune to poison. It doesn't make sense.
    So I can't justify one ability and say that the other abilities are wrong? Isn't that the same thing as justifying Sabretooth and Corvus' immunity (Corvus isn't even Immune, but I'll ignore that right now) and saying that Iceman should be Immune because those two are Immune? According to your logic, that reasoning is moot as well.

What I'm saying is that Iceman should not be Immune. I am not saying that Sabretooth should be Immune. I am not saying that all Coldsnap Immunes should be Coldsnap Immune. Is it logically incorrect to come to the conclusion that all the other characters are not conforming to science in a way that they should be?

Furthermore, your example with Warlock has no logical standing as well since you don't know what types of acids constitutes as Poisons and you also don't know if the material that Warlock is made out of is acid-resistant. There are too many variables in that example to be logically sound.
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

You know, you’re right. Take away Sabertooth’s coldsnap immunity! We are just trying to justify for Iceman alone. It really makes no sense why others are coldsnap immune.
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Your reasoning is this:

A and B are Immune, therefore C should be Immune as well.

I'm saying that:
    C is accurately not Immune, and neither should A or B.

Both use similar reasonings based on the properties of C. The only difference is that the latter has reasoning as to why C is not Immune. The former has no reasoning as to why A and B are Immune.
    edited January 2021
    God, you're not understanding at all. The point is that A and B undeniably are immune. Should they be? No. But they are. So there's no logical reason as to why Iceman isn't immune, other than that Kabam wills it so. Trying to justify it with Science is pointless cause if that actually mattered, there would be no Coldsnap immune characters.
    Etjama said:

God, you're not understanding at all. The point is that A and B undeniably are immune. Should they be? No. But they are. So there's no logical reason as to why Iceman isn't immune, other than that Kabam wills it so. Trying to justify it with Science is pointless cause if that actually mattered, there would be no Coldsnap immune characters.

And I could say the likewise to you. I agree that A and B should not be Immune. So why should that influence whether or not Iceman is Immune? The only reasoning behind making Iceman immune is because other characters who shouldn't be Immune are. How is that logical at all?
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    Etjama said:

Cause Sabretooth has a thick fur coat

Etjama said:

And I could say the likewise to you. I agree that A and B should not be Immune. So why should that influence whether or not Iceman is Immune? The only reasoning behind making Iceman immune is because other characters who shouldn't be Immune are. How is that logical at all?
    I never said he should be immune, I don't think he should be. No character should. But trying to justify his not being Coldsnap immune is idiotic when that same reasoning applies to every single character in the game. There are Coldsnap immune characters so that's obviously not the reason why. The only reason he's not Coldsnap immune is because Kabam doesn't want him to be Coldsnap immune.
  • Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★

One thing you don't know about iceman's powers is that he can control his body temperature and also that he can convert ice into organic matter just by thinking. So being affected from cold snap is not even a question.
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

I never said he should be immune, I don't think he should be. No character should. But trying to justify his not being Coldsnap immune is idiotic when that same reasoning applies to every single character in the game. There are Coldsnap immune characters so that's obviously not the reason why. The only reason he's not Coldsnap immune is because Kabam doesn't want him to be Coldsnap immune.
    Yeah, I guess. At the end of the day it is a "super power", so trying to quantify it through scientific means isn't going to be easy. Kind of bothers me a bit, but hey, I guess that's just me. 🤷‍♀️