**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Mysterio buff suggestions

limeade32limeade32 Posts: 404 ★★
edited January 2021 in Suggestions and Requests
Mysterio is actually pretty good and is far less deserving of a rebalance than many other characters. His damage output is easily god tier. My issue is that he has some fairly decent utility that is almost good if it wasn’t so difficult to access. I honestly believe some of the stuff I am going to mention should be applied in the next update, but I don’t actually believe someone at Kabam is going to read this and decide to go through with it. I think this because the fixes in question would be very easy to apply. To clarify, I don’t think mysterio should take up a tune up slot of a much better champion, I just think he should receive a small buff to his utility.

The first thing I would like to address is the evade counter on his poison. I’m sure many people didn’t know this, but when his poison is active he is fully immune to evade from spiderverse heroes. I propose that this should be moved to his helmet. There are much better ways to counter evade from the few champions it effects, and using mysterio to counter these champs would make it harder to use him for damage. When his helmet is active he is immune to poison and AAR, and I think it should be added on to there. This is balanced for two reasons; first, this only effects spiderverse champions, and doesnt do anything about unstoppable or miss or anything else. The second is that this would be identical to what venom has. (Just like venom, Mysterios helmet is countered by the class he is weak agienst). This is a small change but would give him a good chunk of utility. I truly believe that if I worked at Kabam I would just apply this change next update.

The second easy change I would apply is to downright double the duration of his heal block passive. (Each chemical gas adds 4 seconds instead of 2, and it starts with 2 seconds at 0 gas.) As mysterio you want to be using heavy attacks after 3 medium ending combos to apply poison attacks or saving the gasses for special attacks. Light ending combos interrupts that flow, so I think the duration of his heal block passive should last longer. I think this change would give his a big bump in utility, and would be in line with other tech champs. It would also really help if you need to stop your opponent from healing asap but recently used a special attack or a heavy. This way the duration is longer at less chemical gas. I probably wont think twice about making this change if I were able to.

After those first 2 change, the other ideas I have are not ones I feel would be made without a second thought. These would be changes that might be included in a full tune up, which mysterio does not need. The big issue with mysterio are his special attacks. His sp3 is amazing, it makes his damage rotation really good. Where he is lacking are his first 2 specials. Using either of them is wasting gas for either a poison debuff or sp3 duration, and effectively kills his damage all together.

His first special has no purpose what so ever and Im pretty sure was intended as a mechanic for defense. It really needs to be changed entirely, and I would propose 2 options; 1. Make it help the player get to their sp3 faster, similar to dr doom. My idea would have this function like the power alternator node, where you would swap power with the opponent if they have more power than you. I think that would fit very well with mysterios character. 2. Have in function as a high risk high reward heal option. If you can survive a combo to the face, this would let you heal up 100% of any damage you took.

His second special is actually pretty good, decent power control and defensive utility. The issue is that you kill your damage by using it. I really don’t have good ideas on how to help mysterio keep his damage and sp2 utility. Maybe some kind of power steal so you can use your sp2 if you really need it and not need to recover 2 bars of power back before you can sp3, idk.

Like I’ve said Mysterios damage output is incredibly strong, he just needs a little help so he can have both damage and utility. If he had automatic spider-verse evade and double the healblock duration I think his utility would be much better, and they be very easy to fix. His specials could mesh a bit better with his damage but they aren’t really bad on their own. I wrote this because he is so close to being top tier, he just needs a small bump.
Post edited by Kabam Ahab on

Comments

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Maybe just a synergy to access his utility and damage at the same time. I hope he isn't high on Kabam's buff list with all the other trash in the game.
  • TheMailmannTheMailmann Posts: 120 ★★
    edited January 2021
    I enjoy Mysterio the way he is and I would take his 6 star R3 him soon, not just for thronebreaker because I already am. He is already top tier. He’s so much fun to play and if he is buffed, of course he would be game-breaking but less fun to play. You need to play around with him a lot and yes it is not as easy to access his utility or damage, but what’s fun is I always use different playstyle against different champs. You don’t need to access his full potential all the time.

To activate counter against spider-verse champs, you only need 1 M-M combo and 1 heavy and repeat when the poison runs out. when you parry, opponent doesn’t really evade anyway. then you reach SP3, repeat 1 M-M heavy, then do 3 M-M heavy and you’ll get maximum poison damage. As for the heal block, if you need to access the heal block throughout the fight, you’re gonna have to sacrifice damage but he’s still a good counter and his heal block at 3 chemical gas is already long enough so you don’t need it any longer than that.

His chemical gas being used up is one of the fun aspects where you play around with which SP you wanna use it for. And it’s really easy to build it up with just M-M combo. His SP1 is very unique and I sometimes use it just because I wanna mix it around a little bit by taking a combo then reflect them. It’s also useful for debuff effects on you and you can reflect that to the opponent. And yes it is good for defense. Mysterio is a good defender so removing that will make him less. And his SP3 ability has a long duration so you can access both his utility and damage at the time before you build up to his SP3 again. Not all champs need to have burst damage all the time.

I don’t think he needs any fix because to me, he is one of top 5 tech champs. I say this because I’ve used him a lot in 6.1 and 7.1 exploration. Will also use him for some of the paths in act 6 exploration. I do however respect your opinion and of course, if he’s buffed I wouldn’t be against that. He can sometimes be annoying to play but I enjoy it a lot more than ramp-up combo champs.
  • Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★
    edited January 2021
    Mysterio needs a nerf to his annoying heavy that he throws 71 times until you're dead
  • MrBanksMrBanks Posts: 950 ★★★
    Was wondering when someone would put this into good words.

Much like the new Daredevil, he's so close to being a contender for an AQ team, AW offense team, act 6 team, and even maybe act 7 team. But there isn't enough to justify him at the moment for being on any of those mentioned teams.

All he needs is a slight buff to make the utility accessible. Doesn't need to happen ASAP as there are a lot more champs that need significant buffs *cough* *cough* War Machine *cough* *cough*
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    I honestly love my r2 s20 Mysterio. I think he is fine as is, but if I could change him, I would do the following:

Reflection gas damage reflection counts toward block damage, reflecting double the damage that was sustained by blocking. Reflection gas also grants a 30% safeguard from any hit of a single source (you can tank as many L3 as you want so long Ref gas is up. Each time the enemy will be dealt back 21% of your max health and you regen it all back)

Light attacks have a 30% chance to gain one Chemical Gas. When Mysterio would gain 4+ CGs, instead gain one inactive gas charge up to 6 inactive and 3 active.

When active gas are consumed, they are replaced by passive gas charges.

When charging a heavy for 0.7 seconds, consume all inactive gas and gain 9% max power per charge. Landing the heavy does not inflict the poison and consume active gas charges.

Now he has better access to his utility, can zip up to an L3, ramps CG faster, and can tank L3 and block damage with his L1.
  • 007md92007md92 Posts: 1,381 ★★★★
    edited January 2021
    Mysterious Mysterio Hits modarate unless u tap into his sp3. And then gain a burst of damage. One of the most hard hitting sp3

Reaching sp3 is a long time.. and it's not like you can have that burst attack damage for the rest of the fight.
    It goes away too quickly.
    Some opponents AI dex into wall and hild block and does nothing, in that time you loose that burst damage.

Good poision damage too. After sp3 it's bigger. Without sp3 it's smaller.
    Anyway.
    Good power control from sp2.
    Good defender.

~He is in my opinion a very very long investment only you should do if you have lessure resources.

Very very good animation and design, to be fair best i think.

• hermherm Posts: 415 ★★
    his sp1 is actually kinda good tho if u have him as a 6* and or u have the recovery mastery active. It's a pretty damn good regen tactic
  • JragonMaster170JragonMaster170 Posts: 2,044 ★★★★★
    Does Mysterio really need a buff?
  • GinjabredMonstaGinjabredMonsta Posts: 6,454 Guardian
    edited January 2021
    When did mysterio need a buff?

After reading this, I can see where you're coming from. He is a great champ but there could be small tweaks to make him just that more better.
  • TrashPanda12TrashPanda12 Posts: 531 ★★★
    The attack increase after sp3 needs to be longer. And sp1 damage reflect should be all damage if its for that little time, like block damage and DOT.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★

I enjoy Mysterio the way he is and I would take his 6 star R3 him soon, not just for thronebreaker because I already am. He is already top tier. He’s so much fun to play and if he is buffed, of course he would be game-breaking but less fun to play. You need to play around with him a lot and yes it is not as easy to access his utility or damage, but what’s fun is I always use different playstyle against different champs. You don’t need to access his full potential all the time.

To activate counter against spider-verse champs, you only need 1 M-M combo and 1 heavy and repeat when the poison runs out. when you parry, opponent doesn’t really evade anyway. then you reach SP3, repeat 1 M-M heavy, then do 3 M-M heavy and you’ll get maximum poison damage. As for the heal block, if you need to access the heal block throughout the fight, you’re gonna have to sacrifice damage but he’s still a good counter and his heal block at 3 chemical gas is already long enough so you don’t need it any longer than that.

His chemical gas being used up is one of the fun aspects where you play around with which SP you wanna use it for. And it’s really easy to build it up with just M-M combo. His SP1 is very unique and I sometimes use it just because I wanna mix it around a little bit by taking a combo then reflect them. It’s also useful for debuff effects on you and you can reflect that to the opponent. And yes it is good for defense. Mysterio is a good defender so removing that will make him less. And his SP3 ability has a long duration so you can access both his utility and damage at the time before you build up to his SP3 again. Not all champs need to have burst damage all the time.

I don’t think he needs any fix because to me, he is one of top 5 tech champs. I say this because I’ve used him a lot in 6.1 and 7.1 exploration. Will also use him for some of the paths in act 6 exploration. I do however respect your opinion and of course, if he’s buffed I wouldn’t be against that. He can sometimes be annoying to play but I enjoy it a lot more than ramp-up combo champs.

You actually prove the point of OP. It is way too much of a hassle to get the poison on the Spider-Verse champion. Venom or one of the new (buffed) skill champions do it way faster. He's not player-friendly.

Compare Mysterio with Vision Aarkus. Both have big attack bonuses at SP3 and main utility at SP2. But I would choose Vision Aarkus over Mysterio. His power gain really helps the rotation. Mysterio is way too slow. But if his SP2 would power siphon instead of power drain, he would be a lot better.