**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Do you agree with kabam John?

RiptideRiptide Posts: 3,067 ★★★★★
In Bgs video where he had 8 people talk about rank ups, kabam John made some interesting points.

He said that it is better to take a champ with better utility but less damage to R3, then someone likes mags who has crazy damage.

Start the debate!

Comments

• Options
    xNig said:

I agree with Kabam John.

Utility decides whether you CAN take the fight. Damage decides how long you take.

Duration has no bearing if a champ cannot take the fight.

It depends on how you define "utility" but my definition mirrors this one: to me utility is a measure of how broadly useful a champion is. At the moment most people doing rank 3 rankups have very few, if any rank 3s. When you only have a few, you need to get the most bang for buck, and every r3 has to be as widely useful as possible, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Putang76Putang76 Posts: 283 ★★
    I believe he was saying take utility over damage when ranking to R3, because at rank 3’s damage is not much more then a rank 5/65.
    And you can always rank the damage dealer later when you need it!
  • Options
    Prakhar_82Prakhar_82 Posts: 713 ★★★
    I really don't think he said anything like that. He might have said anything else but you got it wrong.Can you post a sreenshot?
  • Options
    Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

xNig said:

I agree with Kabam John.

Utility decides whether you CAN take the fight. Damage decides how long you take.

My only issue is that nowadays there are champs with high damage and utility that are better to wait for than just the champs with the better utility and lower damage. Especially now when you can have a team of 5 champs for questing that can cover all the utility you'd need plus having that higher damage.

Duration always has a bearing regardless. Low damage and great utility just means you have to extend the length of time you can't mess up or die to potential block damage.

Ultimately until the availability of rank up materials are able to be acquired easily by the majority, ranking up less desirable champs isn't really the best investment, especially if people are doing it just for TB.
    I couldn't agree more. It's not really that hard to build a team that has both. I am a F2P player but have built up a solid set of champs, now have 23 5* R5s and 6* R2s/R3 and these days you can build up both. I find damage dealers more fun but utility definitely has its place and the best champs have some of both.
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    I agree with Kabam John but some damage also has to be considered. I wouldn't rank 3 someone like Psycho-Man.
  • Options
    Prakhar_82Prakhar_82 Posts: 713 ★★★

I agree with Kabam John but some damage also has to be considered. I wouldn't rank 3 someone like Psycho-Man.

I mean I would rank 3 psycho man if it's for TB. Beside that, never.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,549 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

xNig said:

I agree with Kabam John.

It depends on how you define "utility" but my definition mirrors this one: to me utility is a measure of how broadly useful a champion is. At the moment most people doing rank 3 rankups have very few, if any rank 3s. When you only have a few, you need to get the most bang for buck, and every r3 has to be as widely useful as possible, in my opinion.
    Right.

But...is Magneto the best example of damage over utility?

Magnetized is a pretty darn useful utility, before you add things like shock, energy damage and bleed resistance.

If we are talking Hit-Monkey versus someone like Mysterio, that’s probably a better comparison. I’m more than a little surprised Magneto was the example used.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,250 ★★★★★
    edited February 2021
    Generally, on top of utility, if the playstyle requires the additional 16% health, they’re worth R3 as well, Eg Mag HT AA etc
  • Options
    LiquidkoldLiquidkold Posts: 192 ★★
    This game is always about diversity. As more and more content comes out they are forcing you to use different champs then you would traditionally use. Act 7 and all of the variants prove that you need utility and damage, you have to find a mixture of both.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    There is no one answer that fits all. Depends on your roster needs, the champs you are able to rank up, whether you run Recoil, and even the content you have to face. I value utility champs as long as their damage doesn’t stink.
  • Options
    GreanGrean Posts: 1,397 ★★★★
    Tbh if the utility is the same at r2 than r3, why not rank up a damage champ?