**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Please say no to relics.

Cage33Cage33 Posts: 45
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
First, let me start off by saying that I really enjoy this game, and wish only the best for its future and development. That being said, the idea of relics frightens me to no end. The second I read about them in the newest dev diaries, it felt like the wind was taken out of my MCOC sails. I lost all drive to grind for units, do hard content, or even spend on this game. My desire to play this game has been reduced to the bare minimum after a year and a half of enjoyment. Let me explain.

MCOC is already terribly luck reliant. It can be hard to get a good champion, and even harder to get the specific one you want. Adding RNG based gear on top of that would only increase player frustration when opening loot. Also, I am afraid that this could cause 2 negative things regarding champion design. 1: new champions might be incredibly mediocre/only good with a specific piece of gear. This would take all the excitement out of pulling them, as you would only be halfway there, so to speak. 2: upcoming champion buffs might be centered around the ability to equip gear. This doesn't sound as fun to me as having a champion buff be really good on its own (i.e. Red Magneto).

Second, the MCOC community has said time and time again that they DO NOT WANT a gear system in this game. Most recently, we can see this with MROC. That games failure to attract a significant, active player base from the already existing group of MCOC players is proof. MCOC players decided that they prefer all champions to be equal (more or less) across everyones accounts. Also take in to consideration how many MCOC Youtubers advertise/do paid promotion stuff for RAID Shadow Legends. That game is synonymous with a "gear system". Then look at how many of those content creators also play the game and publish content for it. I can't think of any. They don't enjoy it, and they know their viewers wouldn't enjoy it either.

Finally, a relic/gear system would open up the door to min/max hell. This is a slippery slope, and has the potential to literally drive players nuts. Everyone wants to do the most possible damage, and one of the simple joys of MCOC as it stands is that doing so is a straightforward and enjoyable procedure. Adding gear would infinitely complicate this process, and frankly, my head already hurts just thinking it.

All in all, I REALLY enjoy this game, and want to see it succeed as much, if not more than KABAM does. This is as much our game as it is the devs, and we the players, have a right and a responsibility to speak up for what we do and don't want to see in this game. I know I'm not alone on this. Please don't let this go by unchallenged, and KABAM, please think good and hard about the type of game and player base you want to have.

P.S. - Maybe instead of gear, introduce new boosts! That could have a similar effect on certain gameplay experiences, without introducing the rabbit hole that is a gear system.
Post edited by Kabam Valkyrie on

Comments

• gannicus0830gannicus0830 Posts: 606 ★★★★
    edited May 2021
    I remember 2 or three years ago the idea of a gear system was a heated topic of discussion after images from the Chinese version of the game circulated. The player-base almost entirely unanimously were adamantly against it, because they saw it for what it is; just another disgusting rng dependant money-grab. Many even threatened boycotts if they implemented it. Kabam assured the community that they had no intention of bringing a gear system into the game. So......they call it "relics" instead.

We really shouldn't be surprised by this move at this point. We've all seen enough from kabam to know what they are about by now.

• Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,760 ★★★★★
    This is here again?
  • Dawnbringer_1Dawnbringer_1 Posts: 262 ★★
    Try and keep an open mind, no matter what they add it will be RNG dependent and/or money based just like most stuff is right now so wait until you see what it is before worrying
  • EgretM4EgretM4 Posts: 172 ★★
    If relics are released. They’ll have to balance content around relics, if they don’t the game will be too easy for too many and they’ll quit playing. So they’ll be like boosts and health pots in aw. Technically optional but everyone uses them because though optional they kind of have to.

I don’t see how relics will slow down the release of 7*s. There will be both 7*s and 7* relics as well. With the power creep expanding to match both. It’s just an assumption but it seems reasonable. It’s what I would do.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    We don't know what they are so how can we judge them
    '
  • H700H700 Posts: 87
    edited May 2021
    If the relics modify the skin of a champion then I agree, if they are simple power-ups for people who spend more money than the rest then I am against
  • GOTGGOTG Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    edited May 2021
    I am kind of suprised about how much rank 4 materials they have released recently which is a very bad sign to me. So from nothing we can see a rank 4 champion sometime this year which is too soon and relics will make things even worse.

Oh and with relics you can equip it to your 3 star Cyclops to make the Collector a joke or make 4 star Starlord hit like 5 star fully ramped up Aegon. See?
  • AGYAATAGYAAT Posts: 210
    Wow didn't know about the community have some future predictors.. gear system can be like 5%,10%,15% critical rating bonuses (also applied for prowess, power gain, critical damage..) so it will be helpful for one champ, it's less effective than synergy or mastery setup where all or more than one champ get the benefits.. this should be the highest potential for gear system otherwise I also believe that the system can change the game entirely..
    Let's wait for it.. you always have the option to play or quit mcoc if you want
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,739 ★★★★★
    I didn't see it being RNG reliant. As I understand it, it will be more for grinders than for whales. Ofc it depends how Kabam will put it
  • gannicus0830gannicus0830 Posts: 606 ★★★★
    Kerneas said:

I didn't see it being RNG reliant. As I understand it, it will be more for grinders than for whales. Ofc it depends how Kabam will put it

It's Kabam bud......
  • IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★
    edited May 2021
    Daddrieda said:

We don’t even know what impact it will do to the game yet. Wait till it’s release and then we can wreck Havok with community crying.

If you are using havoc in a sentence, then it’s spelled with a c. Havok the character is spelled with a k. Just to let you know 😉
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,567 ★★★★

Daddrieda said:

We don’t even know what impact it will do to the game yet. Wait till it’s release and then we can wreck Havok with community crying.

If you are using havoc in a sentence, then it’s spelled with a c. Havok the character is spelled with a k. Just to let you know 😉
    Thank you. Now... let’s wreak havoc on Sony being late with releasing another batch of ps5
  • N1nthcloudN1nthcloud Posts: 343 ★★★
    edited May 2021
    I think we have done the right thing voicing as a collective we dont want relic's RNG based.

But i wont just say "NO" to relics.
    The concept if released properly could add a layer of depth to the game & builds that might actually enhance my enjoyment.

The only 2 things i can see from relics ruining the experience for everyone is.
    1. RNG based chance to get relics from crystals.
    2. Only obtainable in limited time events.

I think the problem comes when only whales or overly skilled players have the chance to get any good equipment....

It would just widen the gap further and turn people off.

• N1nthcloudN1nthcloud Posts: 343 ★★★
    edited May 2021
    I am under no illusion.
    I understand kabam is a business and want to make money.
    I dont work for free either at my job.

But i dont entice people, and fuel their addiction to gamble.

If they feel relics absolutely need to cost units... i understand.

we have enough RNG based content.
    If its going to cost anything.
    I feel transparency & certainty of what you are getting for your units before you pay is the way to go.
    "If relics cost units"
  • SaiyanSaiyan Posts: 727 ★★★★
    I'm against Relics myself because as everyone has said, adding more RGN to an already RGN game isn't gonna make it any better.

There is ONE type of Relic I can see myself liking tho but it has to have 2 things about it.

1: What if relics for champs have the only effects that it just adds a synergy to them? Like say you can pick from a list of synergies a champ can benefit from but instead of brining another champ to get it, a relic gives it to said champ.

An example would be say the LOL Canadian challenge. What if you can use the Omega Red synergy to give Sabretooth extra damage? That would make the challenge cost less revives overall.

2. These relics NEED to not be RGN based and make them relatively simple (maybe not too easy but SIMPLE) to get.

Say if you want a Sabretooth relic then there's a tab or objective that says "beat 10 6 star Sabretooths" or something that's not RGN based and not to crazy.

I'd be ok with that but nothing else.

Anything else and we'll get a MROC system where you would roll for gear and get random stats for random pieces for random champs where it could take hundreds of rolls or RGN factors to actually get something good. We already have that in the crystal system Kabam, We DON'T need more.
This discussion has been closed.