**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

iPhone 8 is "pretty old". Do you people agree?

Since v31 I have been having issues with my iPhone 8 playing the game.
I have enabled "reduce motion" and this helped a bit, but I still have frequent crashes and serious overheating.
Several other friends reported the same issues, and all of them have detected a deterioration since the last update.

I wanted to understand if there is something wrong with my device or if the Contest is slowly but steadily pushing out the "old" hardware by implementing resource-intesive features from the newest hardware. I have opened a ticket and this is the answer I received:

The iPhone 8 is a pretty old device at this point, and while it does meet the minimum requirements to play the game, you may experience some issues like overheating or crashing. The Contest is constantly growing more technologically advanced, with better graphics, maps, and more. This can cause issues when running on older devices, because it has to work much harder than newer ones to run the game. As the device has to put more power into running the game smoothly, it will usually get hotter as a result. The game will automatically try to lower graphical quality to run on lower end devices, but that can only go so far.

What is your experience with iPhone 8 or lower? In fact the Contest still supports all the way down to iPhone 6, which is 3 generations before iPhone 8.
Do you have any tips and tricks to improve the performance?

Comments

• ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    The iPhone 8 is going to be 4 years old this September, and in terms of Phones that is getting old, just compare an iPhone 8 to the latest iPhone or even Android that came out this year and the different between them is huge.

While the iPhone 6 is still supported, they suffer the same issues or worse because of aging technology. The only reason they are supported is because apple still releases new iOS on those devices.

Unfortunately I don't have any solutions for you though, as I've never owned an iPhone.
  • BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    I have an 8s and it runs as well as my new 12 which I got in last couple of weeks.

On both devices the game sometimes freezes upon entering or leaving a screen. This happens every day. Plenty of “WiFi” problems when loading.

Wasn’t considering Mcoc when taking new phone but I don’t see any increase in performance.
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★
    Mine is an 8. Works fine.
  • SidDDragonSidDDragon Posts: 1,183 ★★★
    Playing on iphone 7 and yes the game performance has taken a dip over the last couple months and the phone overheats a lot especially during long arena grinds making it tough to continuously play for more than an hour at a stretch but i think that has also to do with this being the peak of summer in northern India where i live with temperatures soaring around 45 degrees
    But i would still play mcoc on an older iphone than on a mid range android cuz the performance is equally good if not better
  • GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    Curious aswell since I am about to take over an 8 plus from my sister in law for this game. Currently running on a midrange to budget android. People have told me it was still fine on the 8 a couple weeks and months back.
  • zuffyzuffy Posts: 2,142 ★★★★★
    If it’s extended playing, try without the case. That help keep the phone cooler.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    I’ve experienced more lag and dropped inputs over the last few months. I’ve started having to close all background apps for safety when playing map 7, war or harder content.
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,631 ★★★★★
    As someone playing with an iPhone 7, it really is not a common problem for me. I will have the occasional crash or it will overheat if left on for a long time, but the only real problems I have are when I try to grind for a while and listen to music/audiobooks. That much effort freezes it up (either on the audio side, or the visual, not usually both, and not all the time) much more often, but it can still handle it. Really the only tips are to just keep the phone cool (I don't use a case anyways, but that might help), don't keep a lot of stuff running in the background, and live with it until there is a really good offer for a newer phone. Typically, when Apple drops new products like iPhones in the Fall, their old models drop around $100, and it is always worth checking with your provider for good deals. Especially for people with much older phones, but this is the way to go.

There are two reasons why "old phones" don't work as well though. First, the game is constantly improving, but that means more data and graphics to process that are more suited to current device capabilities and push the limits of older devices. I got my phone two years ago, so while it hasn't been used for the full 5 (? somewhere around that) years since that model came out, any device after multiple years has a reduced capacity in a number of areas (be that battery life, storage, processing speed, temperature management, etc). With problems like crashing, it also could be due to your internet connection, or other problems than your phone.

• DawsManDawsMan Posts: 2,151 ★★★★★
    I have an iPhone seven. My game works fine, just crashes every once in a while.
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,054 ★★★★★
    I don't know when your phone was released, but I use 2018 Android and can't say I have any buff issues with the game. So if it's not 5+ years old, I'd expect it to be fine
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    I play on iphone7, only really suffer in arena tbh. It does lag a bit though. I’m not dropping £500 or £40/week on a new phone until I have new blinds and a dishwasher though.
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    Eh. They could go easier on some of the effects imo. There's no effect in the game impressive enough that it makes me think it'd be worth losing people who've played for years.

If anything, I dislike the flashy emitter effects that make things confusing. Too messy. Most of my visual enjoyment comes from cool character animation, like with The Mole.