**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Hood’s buff

13»

Comments

• Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

I know that you can evade a lot of these Sp Attacks, but it's better if they could miss. I would even call it a nerf. (Also I know that you can miss 2 hits, but the majority of those Sp Attacks are 3+ hits)

Technically, it is only a nerf for attacks with four or more hits.

Hood's original (and current) invisibility has a 90% chance to (cause a hit to) miss. The update increases that to 120% with this chance dropping by 20% per miss. Under ordinary circumstances we should count any chance above 100% as just 100%, because there's no benefit for a higher than 100% chance to miss (assuming no debuffs that would alter that chance). So the first projectile has a 100% chance to miss, and the second one has a 100% chance to miss. The third has 80% chance, but original Hood would have been causing misses at a 90% rate throughout those three hits. The average chance to miss for OG Hood would be 90%, but the average miss chance for updated Hood would be 93%. About 10% of all projectiles fired at OG Hood that are part of a three hit burst will land, and about 7% of all projectiles fired at Hood3.0 would land. Hood3.0 would still be at least quantitatively better.

It isn't until you get to four projectile attacks that Hood3.0's miss ability drops below OG Hood: the average miss chance drops to 85% (compared to OG Hood's always average 90%).

An alternate way to look at it is to look at the probability of missing all the projectiles in a multi-projectile burst. For all values less than or equal to three, the updated Hood provides better odds: the odds of missing all three projectiles in a three projectile burst is 80% for Hood3.0 and 72.9% for OG Hood. For four projectile bursts it is 48% for Hood3.0 and 65.6% for OG Hood and OG Hood overtakes Hood3.0.

This presumes no action taken on the part of the player. Many special attacks have components that are easy to evade and other components that are hard to evade. Any special attack in which the player can reduce the amount of projectiles that "need" to miss to three or less will end up with better odds with Hood3.0 than OG Hood. Hood3.0's miss is not guaranteed to be worse with four or higher projectile attacks. It is just guaranteed to be better for any attack with three or fewer.
    Nice breakdown as always but I am not gonna comment on this just yet. I would like to do my own small 'research' and reading in probabilities before I am gonna write something. (Generally I am not quite sure that the 93% chance for Hood3.0 to is right. I understand how you got this number, but I believe there is another 'formula' for this)
    Oh I know that one, that's the old reliable "I don't like it which means it must automatically be wrong" formula?
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian

And a more general question to the mods.

If your don't have anymore bullets, you can't power steal through the awakening ability? So if you use Hood in a fight in which the opponent has no/some buffs and you run out of bullets, you can't use the power steal in the rest of the quest.
    If I remember correctly it's not that easy to build your bullets from scratch

Three ways to load more bullets: nullify a buff (2 bullets), cause opponent to miss (I believe one bullet per miss once invisibility expires), and with the right synergy knock down the opponent (3 bullets).
  • Options
    ChikelChikel Posts: 2,058 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

And a more general question to the mods.

If your don't have anymore bullets, you can't power steal through the awakening ability? So if you use Hood in a fight in which the opponent has no/some buffs and you run out of bullets, you can't use the power steal in the rest of the quest.
    If I remember correctly it's not that easy to build your bullets from scratch

Three ways to load more bullets: nullify a buff (2 bullets), cause opponent to miss (I believe one bullet per miss once invisibility expires), and with the right synergy knock down the opponent (3 bullets).
    That's actually worse. Most fights in eq don't have enough buffs to maintaint the bullets. Sure you cause the opponent to miss twice but you get 3 bullets. If your power steal doesn't proc in 2 combos, the opponent will be at a power level you were trying to prevent and you're out of bullets. I liked the old one better. With it, I never had to literally count my bullets and even my sig 20 Hood could power steal reliably in a single combo.