**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Simple Trick to buff more than 3 champs a month.

FabwiziFabwizi Posts: 1,168 ★★★★
SYNERGY:

Why can't we have a good synergy every month and buff some decent champs that way.

None of the buffed champs next month have any good synergy for other champs.

If suppose you gave a synergy like

Critical bleed to say gwenpool,Blade,Daredevil HK
or If you gave Power Sting Synergy having 20% chance to apply Sting on basic attacks for 30% or attack value to Yellow Jacket,Vulture or Mysterio it would be so cool.

Comments

• Options
    ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,086 ★★★★★

Because nobody likes synergy reliant champs.

Except for cable. Everyone loves cable
    Cable is different than most. He is a unique champ with a synergy from an astonishing champion thats in the basic pool.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

People would love cable more if he could do what he can do with Apoc on his own lol
    Duuh. Obviously. My statement stays true still tho.
    And same with mine, abilities from synergies used to buff champs could just be added to that champ as a buff. Much easier, much better.

A cable buff where he gets that synergy ability would have been better than getting the synergy. Same in this scenario, just buff the champs
  • Options
    MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021

People would love cable more if he could do what he can do with Apoc on his own lol
    Doesnt mean people dont like him, some choose not to. Lots of people enjoy synergy champs, just not everyone.
  • Options
    MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    The only time you would see synergies used is mainly when it's a self synergy like doom
  • Options
    Doug4theWinDoug4theWin Posts: 196 ★★
    Has Hela not been significantly boosted by synergies? OP has a legitimate point. There are also comic plot-based synergies from 4+ years ago that could easily be updated without complete retools of champs. Civil War or Axis-based synergies could be updated for more specific, utility based boosts.
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,089 ★★★★★
    Call me crazy but I don't think that idea is going over well...
  • Options

Doesnt mean people dont like him, some choose not to. Lots of people enjoy synergy champs, just not everyone.
    I never said it meant people don’t like him, just that it’s objectively better for a champion not to have to rely on synergies
  • Options
    2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    I think we already have this ability to synergize any champ via horseman and/or pre-fight.
  • Options
    SaiyanSaiyan Posts: 727 ★★★★
    edited July 2021
    Here's the thing about making synergy reliant champs. which I myself dislike.

Back during 12.0 one of the things players revolted for was Kabam wanted to add a "Gear" system in the game and players said no. Like a BIG no. Now players THINK they won that fight but we lost anyway.

Does anyone realize unique synergies are technically a "gear" system? Now hold on before you spam "DISAGREE" let me explain.

Gear in most games and other Kabam games are things you attach or bring along to make some champs better overall and generally with stats or abilities. Now tell me, does that not sound like how synergies are implemented in game currently?

Now instead of having something like "Body armor: This equipment gives the champ(s) 10% health" we have "this champ gives another champ or the whole team 10% health". Y'all realize that we have to have a WHOLE OTHER CHAMP for the way they actually brought gear to the game yeah? Kabam ain't dumb, they never were, they just did it another way.

Anyway, looking forward to when Relics come to the game lol (that was sarcasm)
  • Options
    Saiyan said:

Here's the thing about making synergy reliant champs. which I myself dislike.

Back during 12.0 one of the things players revolted for was Kabam wanted to add a "Gear" system in the game and players said no. Like a BIG no. Now players THINK they won that fight but we lost anyway.

Does anyone realize unique synergies are technically a "gear" system? Now hold on before you spam "DISAGREE" let me explain.

Gear in most games and other Kabam games are things you attach or bring along to make some champs better overall and generally with stats or abilities. Now tell me, does that not sound like how synergies are implemented in game currently?

Now instead of having something like "Body armor: This great gives the champs 10% health" we have "this champ gives another or the whole team 10% health". Y'all realize that we have to have a WHOLE OTHER CHAMP for the way they actually brought gear to the game yeah? Kabam ain't dumb, they never were, they just did it another way.

Anyway, looking forward to when Relics come to the game lol (that was sarcasm)

Interesting concept, but firstly I don’t think kabam ever stated they wanted to bring gear into MCOC, it was only ever a concept in the Chinese version of the game, but I’m pretty sure kabam came out and said we don’t want to do this in MCOC right now.

Take a look at this screenshot from an old YouTube video (WBangca what a throwback)

I doubt Kabam were like oh, players didn’t like gear, let’s introduce new synergies.

To back this up, that the gear was just a rumour. Take a look at this seatin video from the time, go to 4:05 for the gear conversation. Just after the 12.0 update essentially, these gears rumours started flying around propagated by a guy called RoninNupe, who was a well respected member of the community who did a lot of interesting write ups, but he basically guaranteed gear was coming and a lot of people got riled up.

https://youtu.be/pTzvxPSN65Y

And here’s a screenshot from a post by a Kabam dev who addressed the gear rumour

What kabam did say was this (Seatin’s video crops some out but you get the idea)

So it confirms kabam were thinking about some sort of customisation, but I heavily, heavily doubt they meant unique synergies. Remember that 12.0 came out in March 2017, and I believe the first unique synergy was July of that same year, a few months after. We all know how much in advance kabam work, I really don’t think they would be talking about something “if we do it some day” while referring to unique synergies that came out a few months later.

So TLDR: I don’t think kabam brought out unique synergies to replace gear, what’s more likely is they were thinking about potentially relics, if that was even a concept at the time 4 years ago
  • Options
    SaiyanSaiyan Posts: 727 ★★★★
    I doubt Kabam were like oh, players didn’t like gear, let’s introduce new synergies.

Uhh, have you been playing mcoc for years now? If so then you know Kabam, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda and other game companies do a ton of things in game that players don't like. You think Kabam are the exception to that?

They didn't do it cuz players somehow got Disney excs involved during 12.0, that was by far the biggest boycott players had in MCOC history and it did work in some ways but not all.

Here's the thing, so far Kabam have really put in the effort to make the game better aside from the bugs that happen all the time. Buffing champs as much as they do makes the game feel so much better because unlike say 2020 or 2019, you're not struggling to find counters or the right champs for things anymore cuz you may already had said right champ who just got buffed.

Don't you or anyone however go thinking Kabam are your friends or that they like us. It's about making money at the end of the day it's a FTP game so they gotta do what they can. The develops who make the game aren't in charge of big decisions, that's the people in suits who don't even play games (probably in this case) and only care about the bottom line (Cyberpunk 2099 is the most recent example of this).

So before you jump to the defense of any game company remember they WILL do things to make more money. They do however at times do really good things for players so I can't say no there. How many people are truly excited for Relics for example? Yeah some are but from what I've seen, most aren't and Kabam are gonna do it anyway. Hopefully it's done in a way to make the game more fun and NOT more RNG, more grinding, more spending.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,669 Guardian
    walkerdog said:

Nobody likes a synergy reliant champ. A big NO

If that was true people wouldn't be happily ranking up Cable.

That's not true, no one in their right mind would rank up their Cable 🤣
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Saiyan said:

Uhh, have you been playing mcoc for years now? If so then you know Kabam, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda and other game companies do a ton of things in game that players don't like. You think Kabam are the exception to that?
    Kabam actually listens to it's playerbase and doesn't pull out a big middle finger to it's fans every year like some of those other companies though. Kabam may have done some rubbish decisions over the years though but they aren't the big mustache twerling villain everyone thinks they are. Plus, a company wanting to make money doesn't necessarily make a company bad, it's how they choose to go about. That's where Kabam is very clever and over the years have managed to keep whales and dolphin's for so long while also making ftp players welcome.

Plus, even if unique synergies came up because people didn't like gear, their implementation and style of monetisation are totally different. Synergies are basically just getting a champion as fast as you can so that you can pair him up with other champions. Gear on the other hand if implemented in it's traditional sense which was done in MROC, involves acquiring the champion itself and then different gear separately.

• Options
    DNA3000 said:

Saiyan said:

They didn't do it cuz players somehow got Disney excs involved during 12.0
    I learn something new every day on the forums. Unfortunately, most of the time it is how completely bananas the theories lurking in the shadow of this game are.

The reason we didn't get gear ported from the Chinese version of MCOC is almost certainly because of what gear's purpose in that game was. Although this is an oversimplification, Asian F2P games are generally monetized completely differently from western F2P games because there are gigantic cultural differences in how players accept monetization. In western games, "pay to win" is a derogatory description of a game. It implies money is more important than gameplay, and the western gaming culture holds gameplay excellence in much higher regard than spending.

Again, oversimplifying to a degree, in Asian gaming culture pay to win is not generally derogatory. Instead, spending in a game is seen as just an extension of spending in the rest of your life. If you spend a lot of money to buy a good house, you should be proud of your house. If you spend a lot of money on a nice car, you should feel proud to show off your expensive car. And if you spend a lot of money on your online game account, you should feel proud to show off your online game account. Players thus tend to gravitate towards games where this is possible: where spending has a large visible impact. Here in the west, gameplay is how you build an account. In Asia, gameplay is what you do inside your expensive decked out account.

If money doesn't buy you a lot of value, games in Asia simply tend not to do well. They have to be more pay to win than in the west, because that's what players want. Gear in the Chinese MCOC was intended to serve that function, at least as far as I could see at the time. And the problem was it didn't do it well enough. My understanding is that one of the things that hurt the Chinese version of MCOC is that it wasn't pay to win enough. Money didn't translate into enough value. You could get all that stuff just by playing, which is a plus in the west but in Asia it means spenders can't show off spending as well. You can show off your expensive stuff, and someone else can basically laugh at you and show you the exact same stuff earned in the game for no money. Which means all that money spent on the game was actually worthless.

Basically, the gear in the Chinese MCOC was too pay to win for the western MCOC, but not pay to win enough in China. It didn't get ported back here because it was intended to serve a purpose there that doesn't exist here.
    And to add onto this, gear in the Chinese version was never a precursor to gear in the global version. As DNA said, they are very differently run games.

Kabam said they didn’t want to add gear into the global version in the same post as they admitted to a royal mess up, they had no reason to lie.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,671 Guardian
    Saiyan said:

Now instead of having something like "Body armor: This equipment gives the champ(s) 10% health" we have "this champ gives another champ or the whole team 10% health". Y'all realize that we have to have a WHOLE OTHER CHAMP for the way they actually brought gear to the game yeah? Kabam ain't dumb, they never were, they just did it another way.

There's no precise definition of "gear" everyone agrees to (in fact, this is the most challenging aspect of discussing the topic of gear with actual game developers: their definition of gear almost certainly won't match yours, and finding reasonable overlap is necessary before being able to discuss anything of consequence). However, in general people tend to think of gear as things you can semi-permanently equip to a character that improves their abilities in some manner.

It is important that gear be a "thing" because in general when we talk about gear we aren't talking about individual pieces of gear in isolation, but rather gear systems. Gear generally operates within a set of systems involving how players acquire it, how they use it, how they improve it, trade it, repair and dispose of it. Situational improvements that are not "things" in the context of the game are typically not considered gear because none of those systems generally applies to character improvements that are not "things" in the game. For example, if I'm playing a buffer in an MMO and I apply a buff to a team mate, that is not gear. The buff might do all the things a piece of gear might do, but it is not a thing. It is not something that character owns, equips, or in any way could participate in the kinds of systems that surround actual gear.

Synergies in MCOC function more like player to player buffs in a multiplayer MMO than they do gear. They are situational buffs that exist simply because two different characters are on the same team. The fact that we control both characters doesn't change that situation. If I multibox an MMO, that doesn't turn the characters I control into gear.

It is an interesting idea, but I don't think synergies fit the concept of gear in enough ways to make the idea workable in practice. Unless you want to conceptualize MCOC in terms of the "character" you control as the actual team, and the individual champions as gear slotted into that single entity. Which is weird, and I'm not sure in what way it would be a useful conceptualization.