Why is America Chavez so bad?

2»

Comments

• Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,327 ★★★★★

I don't really buy your argument. How many situations other than Buffed Up reward you for having buffs on your? A lot fewer than situations which punish you for them.

Similarly, there are a lot more situations or opponents who punish you for inflicting debuffs than reward them.

Presumably you've been watching YouTube or something? Why not actually try fighting with her yourself before you come to this conclusion?

• She can endlessly spam SP1s whilst generating her own power.
    • Reduce or invert the effectiveness of many of the commonest buffs
    • Reduce or invert the opponent's Power Gain effects (two heavy attacks and this is done: that's fast!)
    • Reflect damage back to the opponent like Electro
    • Punish opponents with lots of buffs with a damage boost like Ronan does
    • Chain Heavy attacks after a combo like Wasp
    • Regenerate whilst throwing Unblockable SP2s
    I mean she may not be the next Dr Doom. But this are definite abilities. Part of the issue is that several are defensive and you'll only see them work if you get hit - if you're a skilled endgame player (or a Youtuber apart from Prof Hoff) you probably don't get hit much; so don't see the benefit of inverting your opponents Fury, Precision and Cruelty buffs. For me, that's a lot less chip damage, and a lot less punishment if I mess up.

Try fighting an opponent on a 90% Armour node, which you've inverted into a -30% Armour node, coincidentally giving you +25% Attack; then say she's got no utility.
    The thing is with the CCP is that generally, if a champion doesn’t excel and isn’t the best champ of the year/doesn’t have huge yellow numbers then there’s no hype for them.

This isn’t a dig at anyone it’s just a fact. Most CCP members in their videos will take them for a spin in RoL or a path or two in act 6 or 7 and only show that. (They more than likely test more but don’t show it). The truth is, while CCP videos are very helpful to see what a champion can do, at the end of the day, it’s much better to think about their abilities and make your own decision about whether they’re good.

But this leads me onto a separate issue, it’s too long before the average player starts getting new champions, and by the time we do, the opinion of a champion in the communities mind has been set pretty strongly. And that’s hard to change.

Jubilee, Overseer and Chavez are just some examples of victims of this. I’ve already seen many times in chats I’m in, someone pulls one of them and says Damn why am I so unlucky to pull this dud. But would be happy to pull BWDO or Red Guardian or someone in a similar level of use in the game. And the reason of this is that it can take up to 90 days for a champion to be available for the wider game base. Many people don’t open featured 6* crystals, and even more don’t open Cavs.

So the first chance to pull Chavez and really test her out, will be in October. And the opinion of her is already set by the CCP as a bad champion. I think she looks like she can do some decent stuff, and she can be a more on the niche side rank up for some end game players if you enjoy her. The issue is she’s been ragged on from an end game players perspective as not doing anything new or better, and therefore useless. Which is simply not true. She can quickly and easily shut down passive power gain, what if you don’t have/like void? That’s not useless to me.

What can Jubilee do better than any other mid tier mutant? I’m honestly asking because I don’t see anyone use her and I keep hearing she’s underrated but never see any gameplay. I don’t have a five or six star to try out.
    I don’t personally have her either, so take me with a grain of salt, but an alliance mate of mine just pulled her and absolutely loves her for her burst damage. At 6* r1 with suicides, he’s posting screenshots with a single hit of a special doing like 70,000 damage. I don’t know if this comes at the cost of all or some of her utility, but the numbers are certainly shiny.
  • BendyBendy Member Posts: 5,900 ★★★★★

I don't really buy your argument. How many situations other than Buffed Up reward you for having buffs on your? A lot fewer than situations which punish you for them.

Similarly, there are a lot more situations or opponents who punish you for inflicting debuffs than reward them.

Presumably you've been watching YouTube or something? Why not actually try fighting with her yourself before you come to this conclusion?

• Reduce or invert the opponent's Power Gain effects (two heavy attacks and this is done: that's fast!)
    I mean she may not be the next Dr Doom. But this are definite abilities. Part of the issue is that several are defensive and you'll only see them work if you get hit - if you're a skilled endgame player (or a Youtuber apart from Prof Hoff) you probably don't get hit much; so don't see the benefit of inverting your opponents Fury, Precision and Cruelty buffs. For me, that's a lot less chip damage, and a lot less punishment if I mess up.

Try fighting an opponent on a 90% Armour node, which you've inverted into a -30% Armour node, coincidentally giving you +25% Attack; then say she's got no utility.
    The thing is with the CCP is that generally, if a champion doesn’t excel and isn’t the best champ of the year/doesn’t have huge yellow numbers then there’s no hype for them.

This isn’t a dig at anyone it’s just a fact. Most CCP members in their videos will take them for a spin in RoL or a path or two in act 6 or 7 and only show that. (They more than likely test more but don’t show it). The truth is, while CCP videos are very helpful to see what a champion can do, at the end of the day, it’s much better to think about their abilities and make your own decision about whether they’re good.

But this leads me onto a separate issue, it’s too long before the average player starts getting new champions, and by the time we do, the opinion of a champion in the communities mind has been set pretty strongly. And that’s hard to change.

Jubilee, Overseer and Chavez are just some examples of victims of this. I’ve already seen many times in chats I’m in, someone pulls one of them and says Damn why am I so unlucky to pull this dud. But would be happy to pull BWDO or Red Guardian or someone in a similar level of use in the game. And the reason of this is that it can take up to 90 days for a champion to be available for the wider game base. Many people don’t open featured 6* crystals, and even more don’t open Cavs.

So the first chance to pull Chavez and really test her out, will be in October. And the opinion of her is already set by the CCP as a bad champion. I think she looks like she can do some decent stuff, and she can be a more on the niche side rank up for some end game players if you enjoy her. The issue is she’s been ragged on from an end game players perspective as not doing anything new or better, and therefore useless. Which is simply not true. She can quickly and easily shut down passive power gain, what if you don’t have/like void? That’s not useless to me.

What can Jubilee do better than any other mid tier mutant? I’m honestly asking because I don’t see anyone use her and I keep hearing she’s underrated but never see any gameplay. I don’t have a five or six star to try out.
    I have a r5 sig 200 5 star jubilee and shes underrated due to isnt because shes a mid tier mutant its the fact mutant class is stacked, but away from that shes super fun to play nice burst from 24 prowess effect 12 passive and 12 active, if they purify the debuff they take burst damage also from her sig higher sig more damage it does so its quite nice, i think should would be used more if of course the class wasnt so stacked and every new mutant has to be more higher than last and stronger than the more popular ones, which not many will be stronger than the popular ones.

With chavez being underrated for this thread shes competing against mystics that do control and burst damage so someone like ms for example her sig reduces potency of power gain so they get less and chavez u heavy and wait on end to reduce power gain, then her burst also comes from the different dimensions like utopia parallel, dark dimension and the other one that increases her burst, for ms its amount of buffs they have when using sp2
  • Doctor_Strange19Doctor_Strange19 Member Posts: 254 ★★★
    Sorry I’m late, but I wanted to address some stuff here:

This is true, if the content you’re looking at is Act 6. There’s a whole lot of punishment rather than reward there, and you need a lot of immunities (of which America has none). However, Act 7, Cav EQ, Variants, and even Summer of Pain (sort of) rewards having various buffs and debuffs. Just look at the rise in Bleed/Poision Vulnerability nodes we’ve seen recently, especially in 7.2 and the Heroes Variant. Cav EQ nodes frequently require you to have buffs or debuffs to access the damage boosts. And given the Mystic node themes, America will almost certainly never be useful because she can’t nullify, stagger, or fate seal like your typical Mystic. Even Summer of Pain rewards buffs and debuffs, just look at Rogue in week 1. She could be soloed with anybody, but a Slow debuff made your life a whole lot easier.

Of course I watch the videos the CCP puts out! There enormously helpful, and while I may disagree with their opinions, you gotta appreciate the effort they put into them. The first time for me to play America without spending cash or units was to get the 3 Star in Arena and testing her out, so I did that.
    I wouldn’t have written this post just on the views of others (even though I happen to agree with them in this case).

She actually has some cool utility here, with the inverted passive power gain (which is really quick) and chain heavies for nodes like Do Not Go Gentle. But I’m those cases and most certainly the rest, I would go with other better champions like Mr. Negative or Void for the power gain reversal, Longshot, Ronan, or Sym Supreme for buff punishment, etc.

As for that 90% armor node, I’m totally bringing Venom the Duck for the cheese option.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,498 ★★★★★
    She's like 5 minutes old. Are we still making assessments this early?
  • SearmenisSearmenis Member Posts: 1,593 ★★★★★
    Why do all new champs have to be god tier plus? We still need mediocre cool ones to being able to finish paths here and there, if everyone was Doom level this game would ve been unplayable.