**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Abyss with zero units spent. Is it a good idea?

SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★
So whenever a poll comes up about best youtuber, or someone mentions youtube in general, the topic almost always finds its way to one man: Prof Hoff. Known for being rather… not so good at the game and such great videos like “Immortal Hulk Has Incredible Utility!” (spoiler: he doesn’t, Prof just doesn’t know how No Retreat works) and commentating other people’s crystal openings. Whenever his skill is brought up, his subs (yes, they exist) always bring up that he did Abyss without spending a single unit. And while this is true, he just used an incredible amount of stashed items. Is this a true testament to his secret god tier skill? And what if he did his run the exact same, just bought everything with units? To get the most accurate data, I hunkered down and watched his entire 6 hour abyss stream. Ask @Rookiie for more fun tidbits.

His stash was incredibly deep, and he only needed to open 500 of the four hour crystals for the last amount of small revives. The potions were in his overflow, and I think he had enough to fill at least one 18-wheeler to the brim. The amount of time and effort to grind those out (and arena for his other assorted things) is a lot, but nothing against this run so far.

I’ll continue with his deaths, the original reason I watched this (and still putting them in here)
Thing: 6 (this was done off stream, but he said he used six revives on him)
Omega Red: 5
Quake: 6
Medusa: 5 (this hurt to watch. All of the Doom fights did, minus Cull)
Mephisto: 3
Captain Marvel Movie: 14 (...i slammed my head on my desk watching this)
Ghost: 1
IMIW: 9
Joe Fixit: 4
Mordo: 5
VTD: 6
HTD: 3
Hyperion: 3
Champion: 2
Cyclops: 9
Loki: 4
Aegon: 1
Invisible Women: 4
Cull Obsidian: 3
Abyss Collector: 25

Now, this is… decent, I suppose. It’s 118 total deaths, or (counting breaks in lag, bathroom, aq, and food) a death every 3.09 minutes. Would be much less if you got rid of the assorted breaks and black screens. He said in a follow up video that he used 97 single revives, and 3 team ones. By my best estimates here, 38-40 of those were level 1, 6 were level 3 (this I can confirm) and the rest were level 2. Giving him the benefit of the unit cost doubt, this means 51 of the revives were 40% ones. If he bought all of these with units during the run, that equals 2,040 units. Plus the 300 from team revives, and that’s 2,340 units to do abyss. Now, I know what you’re thinking. Spidey, that’s not too shabby. That would be a good amount of units spent, not bad at all. And it’s not. Or rather, it would be a good total abyss units cost, if he didn’t use all those potions.

By my best estimate (I may have missed a few here and there) he used:
25 level 3 team potions
59 level 1 potions
126 level 3 potions
437 level 2 potions

Doing the math, (# of potions multiplied by unit value, then add those four numbers together) this comes out to a stunning 9,827 units worth of potions used during this run. Added with our revive number (which doesn’t, mind you, account for the 20% and 60% revives) that comes out to 12,167 units worth of revives and potions used. These were all simply hoarded by him and consumed during the run. It’s ridiculously expensive. So, maybe don’t use Prof Hoff as a good example for your unit-less abyss runs, find someone with an actual decent amount of skill.

Other things I’ve learned from watching the run:
Heimdall op (seriously, the above unit cost would be much higher w/out Heimdall)
Learn to play your champs instead of using them for the first time in the Abyss
Actually read the special abyss nodes instead of asking people what’s special about each fight
End your Doom combos in heavy attacks if you use him, for the love of god.
Be cost effective

As you can tell, this may not be as much of the posts title as it is highlighting why Prof Hoff maybe shouldn’t be telling his haters this is proof he’s decent. At least he’s better than Sgt. Bourne

TL;DR: Everybody’s favorite youtuber, Prof Hoff, spent over 12k units worth of items to do abyss. He isn’t very good. To answer the title question, only if you’re decent enough that you don’t need a massive stash of potions to get through the fights

Until next time,
Spidey

Comments

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

how in the world do you use 3 revives on abyss cull

if I remember correctly he hit the enrage timer at least once, maybe twice
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,734 ★★★★★
    I did fully explored the abyss without the use of units, apart from switching masteries. As well as having no AEgon.

I did farmed a lot. Had plenty of energy refils and was on vacations, so I just tried my best to do 1/2 paths. Ended up doing the remaining one's since I was still free on time and with items on stash

I did fully explored the abyss without the use of units, apart from switching masteries. As well as having no AEgon.

I did farmed a lot. Had plenty of energy refils and was on vacations, so I just tried my best to do 1/2 paths. Ended up doing the remaining one's since I was still free on time and with items on stash

You also probably have a decent amount of skill
  • Scarcity27Scarcity27 Posts: 1,906 ★★★★★

Until next time,
    Spidey

Please tell me there isn't going to be a next time
    someone’s gotta analyze his gauntlet run
    SpideyFunko, our resident sacrificial lamb, eh?
  • Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★
    And I thought I was bored, apparently I haven't reached true levels of boredom yet

Gotta find a full time job quick
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    I salute you Spidey. It pains me to an incredibly deep level seeing Prof Hoff use revives and potions just like and you sat through all that as well as his jokes.
  • Rohit_316Rohit_316 Posts: 3,386 ★★★★★
    Message Prof saying you also defeated Champion boss without any units.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,542 ★★★★★
    Lol @ 14 revives spent on movie marvel.

I spent close to that….. when she was bugged and didn’t take the additional energy damage from mystics.
    Rookiie said:

I enjoyed the tidbits way more than the post itself. Here are the highlights courtesy of none other than @SpideyFunko

1) it’s going to end up being 6 hours and 15 1?minutes of my life down the drain

and hopefully one of the greatest posts I’ve ever put to these here forums

2) I’ll send updates, no need to reply but my sanity shall surely fray

3) also he thinks his Ægon carries over 100% of the combo??

4) I’m oddly enjoying this

5) Prof: “Did I lose my combo? I lost my combo.”
    His combo: Still on screen

6) There’s also talk of Katy Candy and Mommabear coming on call… please God spare me

7) lmao he keeps forgetting he’s unblockable with Ægon and he’s trying to bait specials but he’s unblockable all the time and giving them too much power

8) Jesus Christ this would be easier to watch if his puns weren’t this terrible

9) he’s basically taking a crash course in how to play doom during this fight

10) so you know those mythical sirens that lure sailors away right?

If I had to name the opposite of that it would be Prof Hoff

11) HES ALSO NEVER USED TORCH’S PREFIGHT BEFORE

WHATTTTTTTT

12) PUNISH THE HEAVY JESUS

13) I think the genuine worst part is I can’t do anything else because I need to pay attention

14) how does he have no points in the defensive tree

15) why the hell did I actually do this

16) that death could’ve been avoided if he had actually read the node

17) mans really just said “she’s down” when she’s at 90% health

18) are you kidding me he actually brought Heimdall into the fight

why

19) oh joy he’s making puns again

punch me rookiie. punch me in the face

20) and we’re back in the abyss

he’s rambling on about his childhood and junior bacon cheeseburgers

he’s worse than my science teacher

21) I think I see why people drink now

22) he’s fought more champions than he’s had girlfriends

23) is mommabear his actual mother?

24) “Hot dogs are promoting terrorism”
    “We do not support double stuffing on this channel unless it’s Oreos”

what am I watching

25) he just said abyss is good because it forces you to learn doom

how many did I send you, like 100-something?
    edited August 2021
    Qacob said:

At least he's done abyss...

*AHEM* spideyfunko *AHEM*

*AHEM* unio *AHEM*

Seriously though, my condolences for feeling the need to waste so much time doing this. I hope you recover swiftly.

wait has unio seriously not done abyss yet you did the thing in February
  • QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★

Qacob said:

At least he's done abyss...

*AHEM* spideyfunko *AHEM*

*AHEM* unio *AHEM*

Seriously though, my condolences for feeling the need to waste so much time doing this. I hope you recover swiftly.

wait has unio seriously not done abyss yet you did the thing in February
    I know... It's hard to mentor someone so pathetic.

ITS A JOKE UNIO calm down my padawan. You are only slightly on the pathetic side.
  • Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★
    Wait people r serious when they bring up his 0 unit abyss path as a skill showing? I thought that was a joke

Wait people r serious when they bring up his 0 unit abyss path as a skill showing? I thought that was a joke

I have been in arguments where they bring it up as a show of skill

they also use his time as a factor
  • Khayman1Khayman1 Posts: 35
    Its Prof Hoff, he admits not being the most skilled and is insanely addicted to the game. I enjoy his crystal openings but do not look for his advice on gameplay or whom to rank up. Plenty of better options, the dude is passionate(ok beyond passionate) about the game cannot fault him for that and can be entertaining at points
  • ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,142 ★★★★★

All those words and letters geez.

TL;DR: By not spending units, Prof Hoff wasted 10k units worth of goods on Abyss.