**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Summoner Showdown Rewards

124»

Comments

• Killdisplayed_Killdisplayed_ Posts: 26

Bragging rights.....ok. Take away the rewards for the summer of pain. Then we'll start bragging.

Difference between 32 and 33 R3s for me and a Nexus that likely will give me nothing of use wouldn't affect me much. I'd still have finished all the fights bc they were fun. You should try having fun actually playing the game some time and not worrying so much about what you're getting for it
    ihere.i already did the fight and had fun doing it. But I need someone to look back and tell me if there was ever a event without a reward. I'm just turning Cavalier just cause all summer I've been missing out on great rewards cause all content was aimed at cavalier and above. Now first piece of content I'm able to do I'm rewarded with a pic profile.......worth it

• Wakandas_FinestWakandas_Finest Posts: 826 ★★★★
    Vanity events??? This company is so laughable.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Yeah, the company is the laughable ones here…

Not the complaining players who can’t enjoy playing a game unless they’re bribed to by some rewards. Makes you wonder why some people are even playing.
  • slackerslacker Posts: 772 ★★★★
    The point about reward, too little, ppl said the fight not match the reward and probadly asked to buff reward, too much, you'll feel like being forced to complete because it's too good to ignore, both situations has a chance asking to nerf the fight which was proof by last year.
    Now, Kabam didn't add reward only profile pic, by doing that make this quest optional and ppl'll not feel salty when they can't complete the fight and don't get the reward and now ppl asked to add reward, serious sometime i can't understand this community what they actually want from the event design to be fun and not competive(unless you aim to join Summoner Showdown) ?
  • AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Adevati said:

Forum gatekeepers in full force. New posters and lurkers beware.

You're not going to pin that martyr nonsense on me. I'm extremely patient and welcoming to new posters. But if you're going to hit, expect to get hit back. And if you think "you should hold yourself to the same standard you hold others to" is a form of "gatekeeping" then that betrays a very problematic attitude towards posting. The forums are a place for players to exchange ideas and discuss topics. It is not a place where people can expect to speak but not be replied to except in the way they want.

I don't care that you're new. It didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it. I care that you feel free to tell people they don't actually know anything, even if they do, and then assert a bunch of things you couldn't possibly know as if they were facts. All while tossing out the claim of strawman usage for an analogous situation that I think most people will think is quite relevant.

You have every right to continue to post from that perspective. That's your right as a forum participant. But everyone else has the right to call you on it if they choose to. You don't have the right to be shielded from criticism.
    Yikes…

First, you didn’t start the discussion by disagreeing with my opinion. You felt the need to reply to a post agreeing with me and then talk about how poor my opinion was to someone else publicly. It was an incredibly passive aggressive post with the “bless their heart” undertones. Not to mention the action of criticizing someone to another person in front of said person is passive aggressive in itself. It’s also a form of gatekeeping by telling another person why they shouldn’t agree with a different person.

In said post, you formulated poor analogies and presented them as parallelism. From that point on, the discussion was over and it was just an intelligence attack.

By the way, we have a much better understanding of who views YouTube videos based on the sample of said viewers comments on the video. That provides a much more accurate representation of the population versus you pretending to know what is discussed in a Kabam conference room.

And @Ebony_Naw I don’t see what you see. Miike’s post is responding to someone about rewards for lower tiers and he only responds its a test of skill and for bragging rights. That is not an explanation of the entire event. The winners get much more than bragging rights; so it’s clear he isn’t speaking to the entire event, just the non competing participants.

To both of you, if this event was solely to challenge and find the best players; hard stop, then why did Kabam hire RektGlobal to help with this event? That company’s entire purpose is to help game developers create and improve upon player engagement.

So again, I stand by my original opinion. This event is designed to celebrate the top players while also improving player engagement. Lack of rewards for the common player reduces interest in the event which reduces the audience which reduces engagement.

I fully understand that my opinion is the minority on the forum.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,763 ★★★★★

Buttehrs said:

Adevati said:

DNA3000 said:

Chikel said:

Adevati said:

Azming said:

Whats the point of this side event?

This is getting downvoted but it is actually a very important question. One that many here are just glossing over.

What IS the point? To find the best player(s)? To promote the game? To celebrate the best player(s)? To generate excitement and renew interest for the player base? Maybe all of the above?

Those all have different goals and ways to achieve those goals. To me, I thought this event was designed to celebrate the best players while renewing or heightening excitement within the player base.

If covid wasn’t around, this would be an on stage event with audience.

To make this event achieve those goals, you need an audience. You do not gain an audience by adding no incentives for players to get involved outside of personal satisfaction and a profile pic. No one can deny that less people will do these fights this year as compared to last year. When people don’t bother, they don’t have a frame of reference (or even a desire) to look at the leaderboards. There is very little, “Wow, that fight took me X minutes and Y hits and these players are doing it in Z and N!” because less players will be participating.

Thus, less people will be following the winners and therefore less will be interested in seeing how it all plays out in the semi/final.

Last year players took on the easy version with a team of 5 because they got rewards. And since everyone likes to see how they stack up, they then looked at how these top players were doing a harder boss with 1 champ. This added interest. This added appreciation. This added a following to these top players.

This year does not have that.

It’s this same concept which I think made the finals boring to watch. The fights were just bosses loaded with nodes. We then see these bosses crush the top players. How is that exciting? How do we watch that and really gain an appreciation for their skill? The fights needed to be something most players can (or will) be familiar with just with added difficulty. Like a quest with all showdown bosses, beefed up a little, but they only bring 1 champ for all fights. That adds the aforementioned frame of reference for the audience.

TL;DR - No rewards = less players involved = less interest = weaker event
    You made very good points here, I'm not sure why you're getting disagrees.
    Because that post represented one extremely narrow point of view. I don't think it was an invalid point of view, but I think it seemed unaware of how narrow it was. I don't spend too much attention on disagrees, but I suspect most people reading that post don't agree with its fundamental premises that it takes completely for granted.

First of all, what's the point? This is a common question that gets asked about every part of the game. And the answer is always the same, always obvious, but still seems to be something that eludes some people. The point is to challenge the strongest MCOC players. Not the "best" or the "most skilled" but the strongest. The strongest players in the game combine the strongest rosters with the highest skill playing that roster. The entire game is designed around rewarding the strongest players, as measured by the combination of their roster and how well they use that roster. Why should the Summoner Showdown be any different? It is what the game is.

Second, there's a strong presumption that the best part of the previous Summoner Showdown was the fact that lots of people participated, because no one cared about the actual top competitors. To be honest, I'm surprised that didn't generate several dozen disagrees all by itself. I'm sure that was true for some players, but that wasn't universally true.

You know how most Youtube content for this game is just average players doing slightly above average things that most players can relate to? Of course not, me either. Most spectator content for MCOC involves vastly stronger than average players exhibiting vastly above average rosters played with vastly higher than average skill. If the poster's theory of what attracts players was correct, we'd see a flood of average player content with large subscriber counts. We don't. It is not that they don't exist, they just don't attract a large following most of the time. Because if I want to watch an average player doing average things with an average roster, I'll watch myself play my second account with one hand.

In terms of representing a point of view, I don't think there's anything wrong with the post. But it asserts its point of view as if it was the objective consensus reality, when it is probably a marginal point of view instead. If I don't like something and I say I don't like it, that's one thing. If I don't like something and I say the problem with this thing is that it is unlikeable that says something else entirely. The poster might have been trying to say the former, but their words said the latter, and you're not going to get a lot of support for that position.
    With all due respect, you don’t know the intention behind this event. Only Kabam does. You say it is solely to challenge the players. I disagree. I don’t think Kabam would go through the event planning on the logistics side complete with commentators and production if this wasn’t intended to be a community build event.

Your YouTube argument is a strawman and you are completely ignoring my main point. Frame of reference and context matter. The vast majority of YT views are of players that are attempting, or just attempted, content. Level 25’s weren’t watching SoP YT fights because they will not be doing that content; they don’t care, it’s not relevant to them. Even if they did, they don’t know if it’s because the player has an R3 Torch or because that player has crazy skill. They have not experienced the fight, thus don’t have context or a frame of reference that is relevant to them personally.

A recent poll suggests around 70% of players that normally would do the fights, will not even participate. How many of them have written the entire event off mentally? Obviously we don’t know. It’s a thesis, not scientific method. I say more people would follow the event if they participated. If you disagree, fine.

I personally will not be doing the fights. I haven’t even looked at the bosses or nodes. If someone tells me, “So and so did that fight in 125 hits.” I’ll know it was good but the number will be completely arbitrary to me. It will generate zero interest. Now if you said, “So and so beat Gwenmaster in 30 hits.” That means something to me. That generates excitement. Because I’ve experienced it.
    I dont know how long you've been playing this game, but if it's been since before covid was ever a thing, you'd know that summoner showdown was always held as a live event at their new York comic con booth. So this even up until last year was never meant for everyone to take part in. It was an incentive to try and visit new York comic con.
    Yeah to qualify they made a in-game content they anybody could do and rewards. Lets not break the cycle here.
    Kabam didn't break the cycle here. COVID did. If there hadn't been COVID then this event would continue to be exclusive to new York comic con. Furthermore, I fully expect if and when comic cons return to normal. If they ever do, then it'll return to be being an exclusive event for those attendees. Again it was never an incentive for the mass majority to play and get rewards. It was for bragging rights on a live stage.
    Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

Adevati said:

DNA3000 said:

Chikel said:

Adevati said:

Azming said:

Whats the point of this side event?

This is getting downvoted but it is actually a very important question. One that many here are just glossing over.

What IS the point? To find the best player(s)? To promote the game? To celebrate the best player(s)? To generate excitement and renew interest for the player base? Maybe all of the above?

Those all have different goals and ways to achieve those goals. To me, I thought this event was designed to celebrate the best players while renewing or heightening excitement within the player base.

If covid wasn’t around, this would be an on stage event with audience.

To make this event achieve those goals, you need an audience. You do not gain an audience by adding no incentives for players to get involved outside of personal satisfaction and a profile pic. No one can deny that less people will do these fights this year as compared to last year. When people don’t bother, they don’t have a frame of reference (or even a desire) to look at the leaderboards. There is very little, “Wow, that fight took me X minutes and Y hits and these players are doing it in Z and N!” because less players will be participating.

Thus, less people will be following the winners and therefore less will be interested in seeing how it all plays out in the semi/final.

Last year players took on the easy version with a team of 5 because they got rewards. And since everyone likes to see how they stack up, they then looked at how these top players were doing a harder boss with 1 champ. This added interest. This added appreciation. This added a following to these top players.

This year does not have that.

It’s this same concept which I think made the finals boring to watch. The fights were just bosses loaded with nodes. We then see these bosses crush the top players. How is that exciting? How do we watch that and really gain an appreciation for their skill? The fights needed to be something most players can (or will) be familiar with just with added difficulty. Like a quest with all showdown bosses, beefed up a little, but they only bring 1 champ for all fights. That adds the aforementioned frame of reference for the audience.

TL;DR - No rewards = less players involved = less interest = weaker event
    You made very good points here, I'm not sure why you're getting disagrees.
    Because that post represented one extremely narrow point of view. I don't think it was an invalid point of view, but I think it seemed unaware of how narrow it was. I don't spend too much attention on disagrees, but I suspect most people reading that post don't agree with its fundamental premises that it takes completely for granted.

First of all, what's the point? This is a common question that gets asked about every part of the game. And the answer is always the same, always obvious, but still seems to be something that eludes some people. The point is to challenge the strongest MCOC players. Not the "best" or the "most skilled" but the strongest. The strongest players in the game combine the strongest rosters with the highest skill playing that roster. The entire game is designed around rewarding the strongest players, as measured by the combination of their roster and how well they use that roster. Why should the Summoner Showdown be any different? It is what the game is.

Second, there's a strong presumption that the best part of the previous Summoner Showdown was the fact that lots of people participated, because no one cared about the actual top competitors. To be honest, I'm surprised that didn't generate several dozen disagrees all by itself. I'm sure that was true for some players, but that wasn't universally true.

You know how most Youtube content for this game is just average players doing slightly above average things that most players can relate to? Of course not, me either. Most spectator content for MCOC involves vastly stronger than average players exhibiting vastly above average rosters played with vastly higher than average skill. If the poster's theory of what attracts players was correct, we'd see a flood of average player content with large subscriber counts. We don't. It is not that they don't exist, they just don't attract a large following most of the time. Because if I want to watch an average player doing average things with an average roster, I'll watch myself play my second account with one hand.

In terms of representing a point of view, I don't think there's anything wrong with the post. But it asserts its point of view as if it was the objective consensus reality, when it is probably a marginal point of view instead. If I don't like something and I say I don't like it, that's one thing. If I don't like something and I say the problem with this thing is that it is unlikeable that says something else entirely. The poster might have been trying to say the former, but their words said the latter, and you're not going to get a lot of support for that position.
    With all due respect, you don’t know the intention behind this event. Only Kabam does. You say it is solely to challenge the players. I disagree. I don’t think Kabam would go through the event planning on the logistics side complete with commentators and production if this wasn’t intended to be a community build event.

Your YouTube argument is a strawman and you are completely ignoring my main point. Frame of reference and context matter. The vast majority of YT views are of players that are attempting, or just attempted, content. Level 25’s weren’t watching SoP YT fights because they will not be doing that content; they don’t care, it’s not relevant to them. Even if they did, they don’t know if it’s because the player has an R3 Torch or because that player has crazy skill. They have not experienced the fight, thus don’t have context or a frame of reference that is relevant to them personally.

A recent poll suggests around 70% of players that normally would do the fights, will not even participate. How many of them have written the entire event off mentally? Obviously we don’t know. It’s a thesis, not scientific method. I say more people would follow the event if they participated. If you disagree, fine.

I personally will not be doing the fights. I haven’t even looked at the bosses or nodes. If someone tells me, “So and so did that fight in 125 hits.” I’ll know it was good but the number will be completely arbitrary to me. It will generate zero interest. Now if you said, “So and so beat Gwenmaster in 30 hits.” That means something to me. That generates excitement. Because I’ve experienced it.
    I dont know how long you've been playing this game, but if it's been since before covid was ever a thing, you'd know that summoner showdown was always held as a live event at their new York comic con booth. So this even up until last year was never meant for everyone to take part in. It was an incentive to try and visit new York comic con.
    Yeah to qualify they made a in-game content they anybody could do and rewards. Lets not break the cycle here.
    Kabam didn't break the cycle here. COVID did. If there hadn't been COVID then this event would continue to be exclusive to new York comic con. Furthermore, I fully expect if and when comic cons return to normal. If they ever do, then it'll return to be being an exclusive event for those attendees. Again it was never an incentive for the mass majority to play and get rewards. It was for bragging rights on a live stage.
    I see your point but can you see mine. Uncollected and below players are in the game. All summer the main concentration for Kabam has been on end game players. Now a piece of content finally comes out where coming up players improves their skills in hopes of big rewards but get slapped with bragging rights while watching other players get 6 star nexus crystals and more. Can you feel the sting if your uncollected. Not saying uncollected players needed top tier rewards just throw something more than a profile pic. What I saying is maybe the events should have been switched around SOP should been a build-up to summoner showdown and give lower tier player the show up challenge. Everybody happy.

Not the complaining players who can’t enjoy playing a game unless they’re bribed to by some rewards. Makes you wonder why some people are even playing.
    so I take it your cavalier or above. Those rewards in your inbox let them expire then I'll stop complaining.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

so I take it your cavalier or above. Those rewards in your inbox let them expire then I'll stop complaining.
    Lmao as if that’s my point at all. What I’m doing is laughing at someone who refuses to do content simply because there are no rewards.

You saying because I can enjoy one piece of content without rewards, I should never have any rewards is genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on this forum.
    slacker said:

The point about reward, too little, ppl said the fight not match the reward and probadly asked to buff reward, too much, you'll feel like being forced to complete because it's too good to ignore, both situations has a chance asking to nerf the fight which was proof by last year.
    Now, Kabam didn't add reward only profile pic, by doing that make this quest optional and ppl'll not feel salty when they can't complete the fight and don't get the reward and now ppl asked to add reward, serious sometime i can't understand this community what they actually want from the event design to be fun and not competive(unless you aim to join Summoner Showdown) ?

slacker said:

Lmao as if that’s my point at all. What I’m doing is laughing at someone who refuses to do content simply because there are no rewards.

You saying because I can enjoy one piece of content without rewards, I should never have any rewards is genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on this forum.
    I already did the content. Now balls in your court let those rewards expire you just did the SOP for the love of the game.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Bragging rights.....ok. Take away the rewards for the summer of pain. Then we'll start bragging.

Who do you think that would hurt? The top players? I'm not even a top player, and if Summer of Pain had zero rewards, I would have still attempted it. And one Nexus plus or minus doesn't mean a huge amount to my game progress. The two T5CC mean more, but it wouldn't stunt my roster progress by a lot. I'm still sitting on four formed T5CC that I'm just waiting for better options for, because my eight R3s are currently plenty.

Most if not all of the players with a competitive shot at Showdown are probably much stronger than I am. The players you hurt by removing rewards from Summer of Pain are progressing players, probably especially high tier Cavaliers who haven't formed their first T5CC yet or who haven't pulled an especially strong 6* champion to rank up yet. If Summer of Pain launched at the difficulty it was advertised to be, few if any of them would be getting those rewards.

Summer of Pain was *supposed* to be end game content with end game rewards. It ended up being higher than average difficulty content with Monty Haul tier rewards. Making it instead a zero reward bragging rights content would have actually made it closer to what a lot of players wanted from it, instead of farther away.

This is the lack of understanding many players have about how different players play the game. They'll say things like "take away the rewards from SoP" like that's a threat. For the players who want challenge content, that's no threat. And anything that makes rewards harder to get helps the players who are already very strong. They don't need help getting rewards. It is everyone else that does.
    As far as I know this is the only piece of content put in the game just for bragging rights. I thought bragging right was having 6star weapon x and a legends title. You can lie to yourself but we all know if all you got from summer of pain was a profile pic it would be a summer of boredom.
    I tried to get the solo on almost every fight, even though there are no rewards for doing the fight solo. There are players who redo content they've already done and cannot get rewards for just to see if they can do it another way. Rewards are a part of overall game progress, but not the primary reason I play the game. If all I wanted was the rewards, I would just buy them all. It would be more cost effective. I play because I want to play, and while rewards are a part of many player's game experience I don't think it is the primary focus of most players. Heck,. there are players who primarily play just to collect every champion, and for literally no other reason. They don't even need to rank them up, they don't need them to be all 6* champs. They just collect them, and have fun doing it.

The lie here is you tell yourself everyone is like you, because you're afraid everyone else is having more fun than you.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Who do you think that would hurt? The top players? I'm not even a top player, and if Summer of Pain had zero rewards, I would have still attempted it. And one Nexus plus or minus doesn't mean a huge amount to my game progress. The two T5CC mean more, but it wouldn't stunt my roster progress by a lot. I'm still sitting on four formed T5CC that I'm just waiting for better options for, because my eight R3s are currently plenty.

Most if not all of the players with a competitive shot at Showdown are probably much stronger than I am. The players you hurt by removing rewards from Summer of Pain are progressing players, probably especially high tier Cavaliers who haven't formed their first T5CC yet or who haven't pulled an especially strong 6* champion to rank up yet. If Summer of Pain launched at the difficulty it was advertised to be, few if any of them would be getting those rewards.

Summer of Pain was *supposed* to be end game content with end game rewards. It ended up being higher than average difficulty content with Monty Haul tier rewards. Making it instead a zero reward bragging rights content would have actually made it closer to what a lot of players wanted from it, instead of farther away.

This is the lack of understanding many players have about how different players play the game. They'll say things like "take away the rewards from SoP" like that's a threat. For the players who want challenge content, that's no threat. And anything that makes rewards harder to get helps the players who are already very strong. They don't need help getting rewards. It is everyone else that does.
    As far as I know this is the only piece of content put in the game just for bragging rights. I thought bragging right was having 6star weapon x and a legends title. You can lie to yourself but we all know if all you got from summer of pain was a profile pic it would be a summer of boredom.
    Also: Warbound.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

slacker said:

slacker said:

I already did the content. Now balls in your court let those rewards expire you just did the SOP for the love of the game.
    You did the Summoner Showdown? Why did you do it given everything you've posted? Asking him to not claim the SoP rewards is nonsense of course. Playing content just for fun doesn't preclude claiming rewards when they are offered.
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

I tried to get the solo on almost every fight, even though there are no rewards for doing the fight solo. There are players who redo content they've already done and cannot get rewards for just to see if they can do it another way. Rewards are a part of overall game progress, but not the primary reason I play the game. If all I wanted was the rewards, I would just buy them all. It would be more cost effective. I play because I want to play, and while rewards are a part of many player's game experience I don't think it is the primary focus of most players. Heck,. there are players who primarily play just to collect every champion, and for literally no other reason. They don't even need to rank them up, they don't need them to be all 6* champs. They just collect them, and have fun doing it.

The lie here is you tell yourself everyone is like you, because you're afraid everyone else is having more fun than you.
    I hear what your saying so stand by it. Kabam we don't need rewards for playing your game. Our time is your time and we love it. We don't need legends title SOP rewards or any other side quest rewards just give us hard content. We love it.

slacker said:

slacker said:

You did the Summoner Showdown? Why did you do it given everything you've posted? Asking him to not claim the SoP rewards is nonsense of course. Playing content just for fun doesn't preclude claiming rewards when
    I'm a player with lower than average skill. All this content cost me was a couple hours in a game I love. My time is worth more than a profile pic. I don't aspect anyone to give up rewards cause they put the work in for rewards not vanity.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★

slacker said:

slacker said:

You did the Summoner Showdown? Why did you do it given everything you've posted? Asking him to not claim the SoP rewards is nonsense of course. Playing content just for fun doesn't preclude claiming rewards when
    I'm a player with lower than average skill. All this content cost me was a couple hours in a game I love. My time is worth more than a profile pic. I don't aspect anyone to give up rewards cause they put the work in for rewards not vanity.
    Don't do it then? There aren't rewards so you aren't losing anything.

slacker said:

slacker said:

You did the Summoner Showdown? Why did you do it given everything you've posted? Asking him to not claim the SoP rewards is nonsense of course. Playing content just for fun doesn't preclude claiming rewards when they are offered.

slacker said:

slacker said:

Don't do it then? There aren't rewards so you aren't losing anything.
    That's just like telling someone to quit the game.