**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

New Champion Acquisition

BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
I think there's a bit of an issue with how fast we can get new champions in the game. Personally, I don't have as much hype about new champions being added, because I know that unless there's a stroke of absolute insane luck if I buy one or two featured Cavs or if I specifically target them in the featured, there is 0% chance I will get a champion before the featured crystal resets and adds them to the basic pool.

So how long is it before a champion gets added into the pool? Well let's take the best and worse case scenario. Best case scenario, the champion you are hyped about comes out nearer the end of the featured crystal. For example Shang Chi was released 20th May 2021, and will enter the basic pool 144 days later on the 5th October 2021. 144 days - and that's best case. Worst case scenario, your desired champion is released nearer the start of the featured and will get added even later. Mangog was released 3rd March and will be in the basic pool at the same time as Shang, which is 208 days later. That's over half a year waiting for a champion to be more widely available.

By the time that comes around, part of the hype you feel around that champion has died down and while you haven't forgotten about them per se, you don't feel the same hype that you felt nearly 7 months ago! And going for the featured isn't necessarily always a good choice, since if you're gunning for one specific champion and the rest are lesser pulls to you, the odds say you likely won't be in for a good time at the extra cost of 5k shards per pop. Relying on a good pool for the featured isn't enough to solve this problem.

This didn't use to be an issue when we had 5* featured crystals with 20% chances for the featured champion on their release into the game. And let me be clear, I'm not saying we should go back to them, the current system is better in my mind in theory, but in it's application it removes a lot of the hype.

I mean, just go through your roster now and pick out the 3 most recent 6* that you have pulled without going for the 6* featured. Me personally, my three most recent champions:
1) I-Hulk - released 280 days ago
2) Air walker - released 371 days ago
3) Storm Pyramid X - Released 484 days ago

I have CGR, Prof X, Mr Negative who I have pulled from the featured, but my argument is that we shouldn't have to gamble the 5k 6* shards in order for a 1/24 chance at getting that new champion we want, or wait 144 to 208 days for them to get into the 6* basic pool, and then have a 1/~200 chance to pull them then. Just look, the most recent champions I have pulled came out over a year ago! That seems like an issue to me. As it stands, I won't have any chance of pulling the most recently added champions Peni and Spiderman 2099 until January 2022, and by the odds of the basic pool, it will be a few months after that.

So what is the solution? How can this be fixed? I do have a vague idea that I'm putting together, but I also wanted to hear from others about what you think could solve it. I mean, that is if you even think it's an issue not being able to pull a new-release champion you want for 7 months. What's your thoughts on new champ releases?

Comments

• I don't think anything needs to be fixed. Current is fine as is. There's always the basic arena alternative.
  • IKONIKON Posts: 1,334 ★★★★★
    edited August 2021
    Run 2 featured crystals concurrently.

Crystal 1
    Featured champs
    a, b, c, d, e, and f
    Crystal 2
    Featured champs
    d, e, f, g, h and i

Crystal 1 expires, releasing champs a, b and c to basic in half the time as usual

Crystal 3 is introduced with featured champs
    g, h, i, j, k, and l

Subfeatured would also rotate on a half new cycle.

Edit: timeline would be to add a 2nd Crystal at the midway point of the current time frame.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    If you want the chance at newer champs, go for the featured like you said 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★
    IKON said:

Run 2 featured crystals concurrently.

Crystal 1
    Featured champs
    a, b, c, d, e, and f
    Crystal 2
    Featured champs
    d, e, f, g, h and i

Crystal 1 expires, releasing champs a, b and c to basic in half the time as usual

Crystal 3 is introduced with featured champs
    g, h, i, j, k, and l

Subfeatured would also rotate on a half new cycle.

No more math please!
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    edited August 2021

I don't think the choice should be featured or wait 7 months personally, of course, I'm not arguing a champion should be in the basic immediately - but 7 months is a little long.
  • Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Posts: 1,722 ★★★★
    I like what they are doing with scarlet witch sigil where it gives players another option in obtaining a champion and it's 100% guaranteed as well.

They should continue doing this with various champs.
  • Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,532 ★★★★★
    I think getting rid of the featured crystal and introducing the new champs into the basic pool 30 days after their release is a much better way. And then eventually, add the wish crystal in the same format as the featured with 4 from each class that we choose and sell it for 30k shards.
    IKON said:

I don't think the choice should be featured or wait 7 months personally, of course, I'm not arguing a champion should be in the basic immediately - but 7 months is a little long.
    I agree that's a bit long, but I actually have a bigger problem with new champs that don't hit the featured crystals until months after. The Hype on Hercules was crazy, but my first chance to get him in FEATURED crystals is 45 days away still.
    Yep, great point as well. I think there's an over-arching problem with how soon we can pull champions, not only in the basic but as you point out, the featured too.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★

I don't think anything needs to be fixed. Current is fine as is. There's always the basic arena alternative.

“basic”

half the time the featured is easier
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    I think one thing they could do is start adding champs into the six star basic pool when they get added to the rest of the pools.

It makes no sense at this point in the game why a champ cannot be in the six star basic when it’s already been released in the five star basic pool, and all the others. Delayed release is a terrible idea, especially since the meta is shifting to six stars over five stars.

I think one thing they could do is start adding champs into the six star basic pool when they get added to the rest of the pools.

It makes no sense at this point in the game why a champ cannot be in the six star basic when it’s already been released in the five star basic pool, and all the others. Delayed release is a terrible idea, especially since the meta is shifting to six stars over five stars.

I’d love that to be fair. Do you think it would negatively affect the featured crystal though? I mean take Odin, he’s been added to the 5* basic, but there’s still 45 days or so on the 6* featured. Nearer to the end of the featured there’ll only be 2 feature champs who are not in the basic crystal.
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    I'm generally not excited for any champion. Not properly.

I think my problem is that I can only ever hope for a champ, but never work towards one. There's still people out there with multiple teams of 6r3s, but not their 5* white whale. Egh.

Only somewhat guaranteed option you have is hoping they roll around in the arena, then spending an unhealthy amount of time grinding over 3 days. Again, egh.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    I agree.