**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

5.3 Block Damage

So, I've been trying to do 100% on 5.3, but I'm taking 600 damage each block(5/50 4*) and I'm dying before I can even finish the fight. It kinda takes away the point in blocking if I'm going to die.. from blocking something that will make me die?? It just kinda irritates me that with challenger rating and this block damage, it's almost impossible for most people to do this with 4*'s.. I wish I had a good 5* to actually help me get through this, but I think I'll have to leave my Iron Patriot and colossus on the bench..
Has anyone actually 100%ed with just 4 stars? If so please comment and tell me your secrets to not dying in the first minute because of blocking?

Comments

• SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★
    edited October 2017
    I did 100% with just 4's and just for fun did 1 path in every quest with only 4/40 4*s since it doesn't really ascend in difficulty and finished that with little trouble. I think in the hands of a super good player some of the chapters could be done with teams of 3 stars. It sounds like you need to start practicing intercepting, as you progress through higher end content you can't depend on parrying or much less blocking if you want to finish without tons of resources. I had to practice intercepting a lot before my first LOL run because I did it with a 4* starlord and since then I barely even parry anymore since intercepting lets you play much more aggressively and removes the risk of taking blocked hits.
  • Horror_punkHorror_punk Posts: 1,053 ★★★★
    I did it with 4* bud 100%
    Now with 4* you need to depend upon intercepting and must take a regen champ regardless of class stellar nodes
    I always took wolverine with me, though the fights are long but can be done with least pots, further I'm running suicides mastery so attack of 4* are on par with 5* champs
    And Sp3 doesn't recoil, so i used it only
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,355 ★★★★★
    Like the guys above said - focus on intercepting and dexterity.

I say this as someone who fights lot like you sound like you do, and is currently practicing the aforementioned skills before going anywhere near 5.2 and 5.3.

I didn't really understand these skills, until I saw videos of people dodging and completely controlling the fights in the webslinger challenge and thought "Oh... So that's what I need to do...."

There are some good training videos on YouTube.
  • LewisTheLlamaLewisTheLlama Posts: 301 ★★★
    I usually am an average interceptor, but I can only do it using certain champions or fighting certain champions
    For example
    With Vision or Magik I'm extremely good at it.
    Whereas with Voodoo or Hyperion I'm ok
    And I can fight against champions like Dorm and simple champs but against Cable that gun always smacks me in the face :expressionless:
  • RotmgmoddyRotmgmoddy Posts: 916 ★★★
    You have to parry a lot or intercept in 5.3. Blocking is just to ensure you don't get hit, which of course getting hit is way more painful than blocking. If you are caught in a combo while blocking, try your best to dash out of there.

Remember, always aim for parries first as they are "safer" since even if you don't time it properly, you still block the attacks. If you are near death, intercepts might be a better option since blocking just a few more hits would kill you anyway. They are riskier, so just save them until you are nearly dying and just intercept as best as you can. I took down 4 enemies in 5.3 with my SL when he had only 5-10% health because of intercepts.

As for champs to use, in general, Star Lord, wolverine and Magik are quite possibly the best for most situations in 5.3. Reason? Best damage dealer, can regen to recuperate block damage, and can chain power lock so that you don't have to power bait, respectively.
  • SummonerB2SummonerB2 Posts: 556
    I usually am an average interceptor, but I can only do it using certain champions or fighting certain champions
    For example
    With Vision or Magik I'm extremely good at it.
    Whereas with Voodoo or Hyperion I'm ok
    And I can fight against champions like Dorm and simple champs but against Cable that gun always smacks me in the face :expressionless:

Relateable.
  • So, I've been trying to do 100% on 5.3, but I'm taking 600 damage each block(5/50 4*) and I'm dying before I can even finish the fight. It kinda takes away the point in blocking if I'm going to die.. from blocking something that will make me die?? It just kinda irritates me that with challenger rating and this block damage, it's almost impossible for most people to do this with 4*'s.. I wish I had a good 5* to actually help me get through this, but I think I'll have to leave my Iron Patriot and colossus on the bench..
    Has anyone actually 100%ed with just 4 stars? If so please comment and tell me your secrets to not dying in the first minute because of blocking?

Leaving aside the fact that challenge rating has basically nothing to do with this, I would say it comes down to minimizing blocked damage in the first place by using Parry, intercept, or control (i.e. stuns), and having the ability to heal back parry and occasional blocked damage second. Champs like Rogue would work where class appropriate, because she can power drain on SP2 and recover health on SP1. Voodoo also has a bit of healing plus power control. Ghost Rider would be another good choice when attempting 5.3 with 4* champs.

Alternatively, you can try to end the fight as fast as possible and use potions to heal up; champs like Gwenpool and Archangel can end fights quickly.

Something no one has mentioned yet is if you are not a perfect fighter and you are fighting above your roster's rating, like bringing 4* champs into 5.3, you should consider stocking up potions. Something not every player knows is that it is possible to stock up potions outside of the stash, which expires. You simply claim, but do not open, your free crystals. Those things tend to have potions in them, and you can stock up an unlimited amount of them. If you are trying to do something like 5.3 and you discover it is causing you to die too often, simply sit and wait, let potions build up in your stash until you are full and also accumulate as much free crystals as you can, and then when you are ready to take on the path see if you are good enough to at least hold the potion usage to a reasonable level. If you think you can do it, burn your stash first and then start opening crystals for potions.

I currently have 210 free crystals and 286 uncollected free crystals just sitting there waiting for whenever I decide to do something that costs me more potions than I expect. This won't help you fight better, but it can reduce the cost of running content at the limit of your skill level to an arbitrarily low amount, ideally you could use hundreds of potions for zero units spent.
  • So, I've been trying to do 100% on 5.3, but I'm taking 600 damage each block(5/50 4*) and I'm dying before I can even finish the fight. It kinda takes away the point in blocking if I'm going to die.. from blocking something that will make me die?? It just kinda irritates me that with challenger rating and this block damage, it's almost impossible for most people to do this with 4*'s.. I wish I had a good 5* to actually help me get through this, but I think I'll have to leave my Iron Patriot and colossus on the bench..

Setting aside the fact that challenge rating has basically nothing to do with this, I would agree with others who say it comes down to minimizing blocked damage in the first place by using Parry, intercept, or control (i.e. stuns), and having the ability to heal back parry and occasional blocked damage second. Champs like Rogue would work where class appropriate, because she can power drain on SP2 and recover health on SP1. Voodoo also has a bit of healing plus power control. Ghost Rider would be another good choice when attempting 5.3 with 4* champs. Alternatively, you can try to end the fight as fast as possible and use potions to heal up; champs like Gwenpool and Archangel can end fights quickly.

Something no one has mentioned yet is if you are not a perfect fighter and you are fighting above your roster's rating, like bringing 4* champs into 5.3, you should consider stocking up potions. Something not every player knows is that it is possible to stock up potions outside of the stash, which expires. You simply claim, but do not open, your free crystals. Those things tend to have potions in them, and you can stock up an unlimited amount of them. If you are trying to do something like 5.3 and you discover it is causing you to die too often, simply sit and wait, let potions build up in your stash until you are full and also accumulate as much free crystals as you can, and then when you are ready to take on the path see if you are good enough to at least hold the potion usage to a reasonable level. If you think you can do it, burn your stash first and then start opening crystals for potions.

I currently have 210 free crystals and 286 uncollected free crystals just sitting there waiting for whenever I decide to do something that costs me more potions than I expect. This won't help you fight better, but good potion management can reduce the cost of running content at the limit of your skill level to an arbitrarily low amount, ideally you could use hundreds of potions for zero units spent.

Leaving aside the fact that challenge rating has basically nothing to do with this, I would say it comes down to minimizing blocked damage in the first place by using Parry, intercept, or control (i.e. stuns), and having the ability to heal back parry and occasional blocked damage second. Champs like Rogue would work where class appropriate, because she can power drain on SP2 and recover health on SP1. Voodoo also has a bit of healing plus power control. Ghost Rider would be another good choice when attempting 5.3 with 4* champs.

Alternatively, you can try to end the fight as fast as possible and use potions to heal up; champs like Gwenpool and Archangel can end fights quickly.

I currently have 210 free crystals and 286 uncollected free crystals just sitting there waiting for whenever I decide to do something that costs me more potions than I expect. This won't help you fight better, but it can reduce the cost of running content at the limit of your skill level to an arbitrarily low amount, ideally you could use hundreds of potions for zero units spent.