**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Challenging content

Dave7099Dave7099 Posts: 521 ★★★★
Is it possible to make challenging, fun content without resorting to 1 mistake insta-kills?

Comments

• KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,739 ★★★★★
    I mean they could release content tesing knowledge like a school test but idk how would y'all like it
  • NastyPhishNastyPhish Posts: 583 ★★★
    Kabam KNOWS that increasing health but not attack nets exactly what you ask for. But if they just go ahead and increase the attack anyway. Then you will have to revive. Check in-game for which one they prefer.
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Posts: 865 ★★★★
    Dave7099 said:

Is it possible to make challenging, fun content without resorting to 1 mistake insta-kills?

Act 6 post-nerf and Act 7 are excellent contents imo. All of Act 7 bosses are well-balanced and fun. I dunno what you're asking for but whatever it is if you're struggling you should research how to overcome those challenges. I personally use it as a last resort cos I like to figure it out myself.

One thing though that I'd like is to increase the lane fights from 6 to 7 or 8, that's just me.
  • NastyPhishNastyPhish Posts: 583 ★★★
    Honestly the problem is how they implement the nodes. Having a Ridiculous health pool wouldn’t be bad if there was a way to play that to your benefit. Having a 20,000% attack node wouldn’t be bad, if there was a way to play it to your benefit. Like dexxing an iron man sp1 returns the damage to him. Or something.

In my opinion, EVERY node should have a way to play INTO it. Not just be a punishment.
  • dot_dittodot_ditto Posts: 1,442 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Kabam KNOWS that increasing health but not attack nets exactly what you ask for. But if they just go ahead and increase the attack anyway. Then you will have to revive. Check in-game for which one they prefer.

Just increasing health doesn't make content more challenging, it just makes it longer. Just saying this is probably giving people some Sentinel flashbacks. Health pools have to be high enough to prevent players from steamrolling the content so quickly that any challenge built into it can be bypassed, but continuing to increase health pools beyond the point when the full challenge is exposed doesn't add more challenge, except of the endurance kind.

Being forced to do the same things over and over perfectly over a long slog can be just as annoying as being forced to play perfectly or getting killed. You need a balance of the two to prevent the length of the fight or the danger of the fight from becoming too one-dimensional.
    Exactly, this was the original flaw in the original Realm of Legends ... when only 4*s were available ... massive health pools meant a 20 min fight ... attack ratings weren't terribly high, so you can make a few mistakes before dieing ..

but seriously .. 20-30 min fights .. where you'd throw a sp3 .. then pause the game, and go soak your hands to relax the muscles before continuing ... yeah, "not fun" .. :pensive:

(Tip: For those who have steamrolled the RoL using 5* or 6* .. to get an idea of what I'm talking about, go back in with only 4*'s or lower ... and only use champions released before Quake .... )

That'll give you an idea of what Kabam thought "Challenging content" was back in the days ..
    I'm glad they went away from it ...
  • Mauled said:

I’d like content that works properly. Once they nail that they can work on the difficulty.

impossible, with whole new engine fiasco they dont have any way to fix parry/dex bugs, they are hoping people will forget with time...
    They do and are in the process of fixing it but rebuilding a game engine from scratch isn’t going to be easy especially as going by their descriptions we all got used to parry being slightly ‘wrong’ for the last 6 years. That’s the one thing I give them a pass on. It’s the lack of content testing that vexes me.
  • DawsManDawsMan Posts: 2,151 ★★★★★
    Kerneas said:

I mean they could release content tesing knowledge like a school test but idk how would y'all like it

With the amount of people that go on here asking for help without reading nodes... I'm not sure it would go well.
  • SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,162 ★★★★
    There was a good event, think it was deadpool related where the nodes were bonkers. Something like that would be good. Only dashing back deals damage or whole fight reverse controls.
  • SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★
    edited November 2021
    You have this month's SQ for that
  • GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 785 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Just increasing health doesn't make content more challenging, it just makes it longer. Just saying this is probably giving people some Sentinel flashbacks. Health pools have to be high enough to prevent players from steamrolling the content so quickly that any challenge built into it can be bypassed, but continuing to increase health pools beyond the point when the full challenge is exposed doesn't add more challenge, except of the endurance kind.

Being forced to do the same things over and over perfectly over a long slog can be just as annoying as being forced to play perfectly or getting killed. You need a balance of the two to prevent the length of the fight or the danger of the fight from becoming too one-dimensional.
    This.

I really don't like fights that are super long because the boss has way too much HP and doesn’t do anything special - repetitive things that don't change at all generally tend to make people switch off.

That said, dying to a single combo is also no fun.