**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Kabam never learns [Hawkeye Buff]

Comments

• Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★

My only problem with the buff is that he needs to be duped now.

If you want the crit bleeds on sp1 and sp2 yes. Otherwise there seems to be plenty of damage in his base kit. Nontheless, we still need to test the buff ourselves to see come to a conclusion.
    My calculations hints that @Aomine_Daiki10 is right. You need the Critical Bleeds in order to have more bleed damage with the SP1.
    What are those numbers going to look like?

Also - does the sig ability scale anything? Physical resistance removal?
    His main damage still comes from the bleeds, and bleeds bypass physical resistance anyway. This has more influence on basic attack and special attack damage against pesky Hulks. It is still nice though, as it can reverse and boost damage. I'm not complaining about that.
  • Options
    RetroRocksRetroRocks Posts: 67

C for implementation, however it hasn’t been implemented yet.

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear.
    An A for the buff theory, as in which bits of kit they have embellished, the way they are increasing his skill cap, all great clever abilities that match his persona in the comics. Appreciate that bit, good champndesign.
    The “implementation” issue is how they have re-written that into his actual new base abilities. Feels like the balance team in the game have got hold of him. Where were they when they released CGR or falcon… totally broken crazy mega champs I’m forced to play again and again as they are game breaking. Maybe that team were on holiday that month.
    I am indeed only reading and not playing, so again I’ll admit I very easily could have got it wrong on how “effective” he is, but it doesn’t change the fact he has no stand out ability. He just does a bunch of stuff others in the game do, not a reason to pick him up. He does lots of things, all of them useful and good. Therefore a buff, not questioned.
    Has he not got a stand out ability that makes him a character I will ever put in my team, I don’t see why I would.
    He might still be great fun to play, and I hope he is, I quite like Hawkeye. Any power control match currently I’ll pick him up and use him when I can as I think he’s a cool character. I was hoping the buff would match that by giving him 1 really great ability/ utility or USP to pick him. On that point is where I think they “missed the mark” if you pardon the pun.
    It’s a wider issue I see with the buff champs, with a huge roster of champs now , many are becoming less useful. It means you only end up ever playing with champs that have 1 brilliant killer ability as they are the best option for a niche fight. The era of the generalist is very much being removed in MCOC.
    Great champs are released but no one really cares if they dont do something different.
    Odin for instance, great , fun amazing champ. The consensus in my line chat is not really ever gonna use him, despite a great buff. I feel Hawkeye is wandering down the same path.

I really really hope I’m wrong and that on playing the buff is spectacular, but from me sitting down with a calculator for 5 mins, he seems certainly improved but a bit average. So a kinda pointless buff in the grand scheme of things. Might as well have kabam save their time and go design some other exciting content elsewhere.

Maybe that’s okay if Hawkeyes place is to be an also ran. But it really irritates me that low recognition uninspiring comic characters (you know, the kinda character the average person on the street never heard of like Diablo or mole man) get amazing game changing buffs that slap you in the face with awesomeness, but classic famous characters don’t.
    I want to get excited to pop a Hawkeye or original cap America from a crystal. It’s a marvel game, they pay a massive amount of money for the licence , why don’t they make use of it in a way to make comic book fans even more excited?
    I liked comics before they were cool, I’m not cool, but now they are…. Why can’t the classic avengers become cool too?!

• Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,752 ★★★★★
    That -50% Combat Power Rate Reduction sounds insane, especially if it stacks. We'll see how easy it is to pull off, but as someone who was worried about Howard's minigame when he got buffed but has had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever since it went live, I have faith that Kabam won't have us jump through too many hoops to get the effect going.

The way I read his abilities, he'll be stronger vs regular champions but who just gain power from being struck, while slightly worse off vs champs with high power gain abilities. However, I'm okay with that as long as it works alright. I have Doom and a bunch of other mystics to nullify power gain buffs, I don't need Hawkeye for that.
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,281 ★★★★★

Let's see how he is in game first
    Always complaining before gameplay comes doesn't always end well

When they give the data, abilities, and percentages and they use known mechanics, what's there to wait for?
  • Options
    DawsManDawsMan Posts: 2,151 ★★★★★
    I think you're right, don't fix what isn't broken. Maybe they should've switched it to 33% of max power, a full bar. But I don't think it's necessary. He's better. He is usable, and I'm a little excited to use my 6*.
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,281 ★★★★★

Let's see how he is in game first
    Always complaining before gameplay comes doesn't always end well

When they give the data, abilities, and percentages and they use known mechanics, what's there to wait for?

There are plenty of things in this game where we should wait to see how they play out before giving a judgement. I wouldn't say Hawkeye sucks or is a killer now*, because we haven't tested him out in his entirety across a wider range of scenarios. We can definitely talk about and compare 1 aspect of his abilities pre- and post-buff that already have all their meaningful parameters given. That's just math.

*I actually do use the **** out of him for that easy power drain as I was blessed to get HE as one of my first 6 stars right after the 1st opportunities to get them, so I have much more experience with him than many other power drainers that weren't even available. Also, I like to have power drainers in each class and attributes and use them as appropriate situationally, so I would use HE instead of forcing #metal Doom, Magik instead of tech Vision, double immunity Dormammu instead of HE, Vision instead of etc., etc.
  • Options
    KyriosRaisKyriosRais Posts: 65
    ahh, ppl nowadays. claiming something as scientifically proved without thinking deeply.
  • Options
    CoMinowCoMinow Posts: 297

But that is not accurate. Pre-buff Hawkeye has a consistent, reliable power drain of 120% of a bar of Power. That has been nerfed to 75% of a bar of Power, and replaced by a Suppression Debuff that reduces Combat Power Rate by 50%, which is not as good as a plain power drain.

I agree there is a reliability change and that it becomes apparent as the opponent get closer to an sp3. I also agree about the bleed however this comparison of 120% vs 75% is so radically flawed and is the perfect example of using statistical manipulation to make a point..

Fact post BUFF Hawkeye drains 75% off one bar 100% of the time
    Pre-buff he drains 40% of the opponent’s current power. This means the opponent has to be at full power to drain your 120% however. If the opponent has only 1 bar you remove only 40%. You only surpass the 75% when the opponent reaches 2 bars and you drain 80% of 1 single bar( leaving the opponent 1.2 bars of power still. Whereas with the new BUFF you RELIABLY remove 75% of 1 bar instead of 40% while they are only at a single bar of power!

Meaning if you spam sp1 just before you and your opponent each reach your sp2, you will more reliably prevent your opponent from reaching another sp1 for longer than the pre-buff version… and no amount math manipulation that you do will change this fact
  • Options
    rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★

Fenico said:

Im impressed how people can write whole books about champs they didnt see even 1 second of gameplay yet

I did the same thing with Guillotine, and I was right. It just requires reading the ability list and a calculator. Not really rocket science.
    Being right 100% of the time looks a lot better than 1/1
    I was also right with The Hood, and some people made the same remark it should be tested out first.
    The difference here is that Hood had something flat out removed. The fate seal was gone.

Here, we need to wait and see whether the power control is as good, better or worse. Sometimes things are black and white, sometimes they aren’t.
    But that is not accurate. Pre-buff Hawkeye has a consistent, reliable power drain of 120% of a bar of Power. That has been nerfed to 75% of a bar of Power, and replaced by a Suppression Debuff that reduces Combat Power Rate by 50%, which is not as good as a plain power drain.
    That seems awfully like an opinion to me.

Before the buff
    Hawkeye’s basic attacks gave the opponent 100% power
    The power drained 120% of a bar of power

After the buff
    Hawkeye’s basic attacks give the opponent 50% power
    The power drains 75% of a bar of power

After a few specials when the debuff duration is increased enough to keep 100% uptime on the suppression, which an aggressive player will likely be able to do (subject to testing

I have to disagree here strongly.

A lot of champs have nodes like debuff immune which makes Hawkeye useless for power control there now.

The way contest is progressing, we need the buffs so they counter the new content or atleast keep up with what's out there.

If HE is going to be used generically, then that's really not a buff now, is it?
  • Options
    GrassKnucklesGrassKnuckles Posts: 1,923 ★★★★★
    How was Hood a nerf? If you are referring to the first buff back in March then I can see why you would say that but if you are talking about the 2nd one in August then I would have to disagree strongly. Hood has if anything twice as much damage with great utility just like originally. I use him quite often in fact as a 6* R1 and I’m satisfied. Very balanced champion.
  • Options

How was Hood a nerf? If you are referring to the first buff back in March then I can see why you would say that but if you are talking about the 2nd one in August then I would have to disagree strongly. Hood has if anything twice as much damage with great utility just like originally. I use him quite often in fact as a 6* R1 and I’m satisfied. Very balanced champion.

He was talking about the first "buff" when they changed his base kit
  • Options
    Lucifire said:

**** post. The buff isn't even out yet, but here you are already passing a judgement. Besides, you gotta lose something to gain something. His power control was his only good ability, but now he has better utility and damage too, possibly. I'm willing let go of the power control as a whole for the new set of abilities he is getting. Besides, it's not like y'all ever used him, so why cry about it now?

What??

OP is clearly trying to make a point that the gain, if any, isn't significant enough over his original abilities.

What better utility are you talking about?

And yes damage is still up for question, so no one can say whether it's better or not.
  • Options
    AldacAldac Posts: 475 ★★★
    Lucifire said:

Besides, you gotta lose something to gain something.

I think the above quote sums up why we keep having these controversies about buffs. It certainly seems to be a factor in the design philosophy.

I haven’t read this whole thread properly especially the various analyses, but I will. I’m optimistic about the buff and have taken mine to R2 as I like the character, and I’m really hoping the power control will remain as powerful in practice.

Having betas for the buffs is probably impractical considering the lack of time and (it seems) manpower but surely a small period of consultation with the CCP or the community at large would help to mitigate these controversies.

• Options
    MysterioMysterio Posts: 1,068 ★★★★
    My personal issue with the buff based on the numbers (as I haven't seen him in game so I can only make this assumption) is that the 120% -> 75% wasn't needed. Being able to drain that 120% with his Sp1 was never really overpowered IMO. Maybe he is gonna be such a beast now that if it was 120% he would be so broken as a champion, but I doubt he is gonna be Aegon or Fury level of good.

Again this is all from numbers, need to test the man out myself first.
  • Options
    ChikelChikel Posts: 2,058 ★★★★

To avoid turning this into a Hood buff thread I'll just tell you to search up on the numerous threads made after his buff. Everything that has to be said you were said there.