**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Why should we get excited about new champions?

MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,341 ★★★★★
edited November 2021 in General Discussion
Well, it's quiet before cyber weekend and new content next week; so I thought I'd start a thread for specific feedback to Kabam. I thought it could be interesting for us, and a bit of free Market Research for them 😉.

Kabam keep developing new champions; but with >200 in the game, it can be hard for them to make their mark. And for people who don't spend much or buy many crystals, it can be hard to get excited about a champion who won't be in the basic pool for several months.

They've therefore been trying various strategies to encourage/kind of force us to use new champions lately; presumably to try and help them gain a bit of momentum. After all, if we're excited about new champs, we're more likely to go for their Cav crystals/deals/Featured Crystals or grind in their Arenas. And that's good for the game.

So, what feedback do we want to give Kabam on their strategies so far? What have we enjoyed? What have we hated? And how do we think Kabam could encourage us to get excited about new champions, without giving us all free 6*s (let's be realistic: they do have a business model, after all...)

Giving us free versions of new champions:
  • Keep giving us free 3* Versions?
  • Forget 3*s, at least give us a 4* if we're going to use them in real content!
  • Do you know what, actually 2* versions are the real collectors items...
Give us monthly milestones built around them?
  • Rank up milestones?
  • Win XXX fights/duels/whatever with them.
  • Run Incursions with them.
  • Evade/Dodge/Parry with them
  • End 10/20/30/40 fights with a xxx Attack.
  • Win XXX fights by causing the enemy to die from DoT
  • Defeat specific champion(s) with them
Encourage us to use them in Event Quests/Side Quests?
  • Run gated side Quests where they're basically dead weight?
  • Run gated side Quests where they gain huge bonuses from universal nodes, and become amazing?
  • Don't Gate the Quests; but encourage their use with Milestones, or special nodes?
  • Run a month-long boost to benefit the new champs in all content?
  • Run a special Arena where they score higher?
Feedback and Suggestions below, please. I'm mostly thinking on their strategies, rather than their Champion Design choices; but really, the floor is open... thanks!

Comments

• TheBoogyManTheBoogyMan Posts: 2,094 ★★★★★
    This thread will get moved to suggestions and requests.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,341 ★★★★★
    edited November 2021

This thread will get moved to suggestions and requests.

It might.

It's about feedback though; as well as suggestions.
  • Scarcity27Scarcity27 Posts: 1,906 ★★★★★
    Mauled said:

The biggest shortfall is champion acquisition. It’s virtually impossible to target a specific champion with nigh on 200 champions in the pool.

Making all 4*+ Nexuses would go a way to alleviating this issue as you’ve got a 3/170 rather than a 1/170, it’s not even a big jump statistically but it would give you a little bit more control over your roster.

The fact that it’s takes almost 6 months for a champion to become available in the basic is crazy, as are your chances of getting said champion once they end up in there. The featured have improved a lot but if you miss a champion your odds of pulling them are pretty minimal.

While I agree that targeting a specific champion is like a wild goose chase, it wouldn't be good for the economy and balance of the game if every 4*, 5*, and 6* crystal was a nexus.
    I think making nexuses more common, not necessarily purchasable, but more common in rewards is a step forward. Also, making class nexuses more widely available.
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,737 ★★★★★
    The 3* version is locked behind 2 hrs of arena and then you have guaranteed champ milestone...
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,726 ★★★★★
    The way I see it, one thing they could do is to keep giving us 3*s (at least maybe UC players and up who don't need them to clear content) and then have side content where you can use them for rewards equivalent to your progression.

What I mean is, give Thronebreaker players a 3* Sersi and Ikaris and then have an event where you can use them. Not the kind of BS use that we saw this month but an actual event where they are usable and you can see what they can do and why you would want to have them in your roster. Something for ordinary players to go, huh, alright, this is why I'll save up 6* shards for the next featured crystal.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,101 ★★★★
    With the cyber weekend deals, this discussion has new meaning... I'm sitting on 55k 6* shards, 4 full t5cc (5 rank 3 already) and 95% of a t5cc in crystal shards.

Now as a suicides user, I'm pretty picky on rank ups, but having pulled 61 6* so far, the cyber deals have almost no value in advancing my account.

An extra random chance at a champ I'll statistically not use?

Rank up materials I also won't use?

If they did actually make content focused on new champions, or a perpetual 3* "epic" difficulty monthly release, with graded progression rewards, maybe it would inject that sense of fun and excitement for obtaining champs, back into the game... Each month, you'd get a guaranteed 3*, that you'd use for progression rewards.

Because at the moment, bar possibly picking up the 6 t5b unit deal, nothing in either cash or unit awards is appealing, or enables me to get a new champion I'd use (I have 6* apoc already!).

Which is sad.
  • WhoDaPooWhoDaPoo Posts: 308 ★★★
    I think the free 3* and objectives is a clever idea. There are sooooo many champs in this game that after 5-6 years of playing it's very easy to wonder "why do I need this champ" or "why bother to care, I've got the utility covered." Giving free 3* champs and giving objectives gives a little excitement into really seeing the new champs play styles, cool animations, and so on. I've felt a general sense of refreshed interest in the past two months because of this.

As to the 3* vs 2* thing... I agree, I'd love a 2* more. Easier to rank up for cheaper. And for some reason the 2* pool does feel like collectibles.

Last, I want to call out the clever marketing/financial growth spin to these free 3* champs. Having done some work in tech and in the "growth" departments, this free champ and objectives is quite the clever win-win for us and Kabam. By playing a champ we grow attached. Our minds wander into the thoughts of "what if I had them as a 6*"... and then the cav crystal offers come out (as they always do). Nothing in the montetization has changed, there's no new pay walls or pay to win added (which is great). And yet Kabam has found a neat way to try and hook us into spending some units for when the cavs roll around. Yes it's playing on an addictive tendency of our mind, but so is this whole game. And if you know how to keep the temptation at bay, you got a fun little 3* to play and be excited about. That's why I say it's a balanced win-win. Kudos to whomever, or whatever team thought up this strategy :)
  • kenadroidkenadroid Posts: 426 ★★★
    I mean Kabam can also benefit doing a 35/36 day cycle for their events to ensure having an additional week to polish champs while reducing the rate of champs released to not overwhelm the players.
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,567 ★★★★
    Maybe release new champion every two months to build excitement and something to look forward to?
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★

I know some people just hit Disagree to register general discontent; but this would be an ideal thread in which to actually explain what it is that you're Disagreeing about...

Disagree button is cowardly. Means nothing at this point other than just trolling.

I look forward to all champs. Buffs, new champs, re-discovering old ones. It’s why I play this game.

Champs that are rooted in Marvel lore. Tomorrow Hawkeye’s buff goes live and I look forward to it. We have been complaining about that for a week.

This game (emphasis on game) doesn’t define us as people - it is an escape from reality. Brings us back to our childhoods, and creates new ones.

That’s why I enjoy new champs and buffs.

Thank you all for making this community what it is.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,101 ★★★★
    Enter into constructive dialogue over the internet?!? What madness are you suggesting?! ;-)

They really need to shake it up though, as nearly every year prior to this, cyber Monday was a big thing, the forums were buzzing, even if just moaning due to not having access to the top tier of rewards.

It's my view that they've forgotten "why" (nod to Sinek) they made the game.

Which comes full circle to giving people a buzz about new champions. As presently, for most of us, there is none.

As @TitoBandito187 and @Worknprogress inferred separately, when the game goes from fun, to second job, then it's fair to say that the devs have lost sight of the why.

So bring back fun, use these new champs, let us all meaningfully use them. Bring back fun!

Strangely, with all the free potions, I've been actually enjoying war for once. Until the AQ mess up and WnP's post making me question longevity, I was genuinely thinking of spending a bit on Cyber. If every game mode was fun, if war was measured in a different way perhaps, if the reason we played the game was still to collect champions and have fun - the collector screaming when I opened a 4* from a phc - would more spend?

The why; collect your favorite marvel champions? have fun? compete? Why does mcoc exist and why was it loved by players, even with the occasional grumbling over clown fiestas?

I think for huge numbers, playing with favorite marvel champions and meaningfully collecting usable versions of them was a huge part.

Just my opinion and others are valid!!
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,341 ★★★★★
    edited November 2021

Enter into constructive dialogue over the internet?!? What madness are you suggesting?! ;-)

I think for huge numbers, playing with favorite marvel champions and meaningfully collecting usable versions of them was a huge part.

Just my opinion and others are valid!!

Yeah, what was I thinking?

I agree that it really is as simple as the fun of playing with the superheroes we know and lived, growing up.

That's why I think the buff program is so crucial: I think the game and it's community need the original champions to be effective and playable; since those are the characters that drew us to the game in the first place. They don't have to be god-tier; but the game suffers if every time you pull an original Avenger or X-man, your gut feeling is disappointment.

---

As for how to get us to engage with new champions, my personal opinion is that they showed exactly how to do it in October with the Summoned Symbiote quest* and totally failed it in November with the 'drag Ikaris and Sersi everywhere' side quest.

*ironically of course, Steve wasn't actually the 'new champ' last month. But it was a fantastic way to get us playing with him! Whilst that gated Sersi/Ikaris quest just left us resenting them ...
  • Deder80Deder80 Posts: 623 ★★★
    Mauled said:

The biggest shortfall is champion acquisition. It’s virtually impossible to target a specific champion with nigh on 200 champions in the pool.

Making all 4*+ Nexuses would go a way to alleviating this issue as you’ve got a 3/170 rather than a 1/170, it’s not even a big jump statistically but it would give you a little bit more control over your roster.

The fact that it’s takes almost 6 months for a champion to become available in the basic is crazy, as are your chances of getting said champion once they end up in there. The featured have improved a lot but if you miss a champion your odds of pulling them are pretty minimal.

I couldn’t agree more! They need to take the 3*’s out of the cav crystals. Grandmaster crystals don’t contain 2*’s. They get 3 versions; 3*, 4* & 5*. The cav crystals should have 3 versions only; 4*, 5*& 6* only. But notice how the cav crystals have the 3* to the 6*. Not fair at all!
  • Deder80Deder80 Posts: 623 ★★★

I know some people just hit Disagree to register general discontent; but this would be an ideal thread in which to actually explain what it is that you're Disagreeing about...

I agree players hit disagree just to be to disagree because it doesn’t make sense to them when I’m all reality it is something to agree with or its players kissing up to Kabam cause Kabam can do wrong in there eyes haha. Don’t get me forget me there are things we will all disagree with but come on to those who disagree just to disagree. Give summoners the the benefit of doubt. It’s supposed to be us against them. Kind hard when you got summoners fighting for the wrong side.
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    It really is about just Kabam making content easier versus us having to carefully select our roster decisions.

"Encourage us to use them in Event Quests/Side Quests?"

If you listen to most youtubers, most of them say act 6 videos were the one with the most views. As much as I love the gated system it stops players from progressing. Map 8 you see a shift in certain champs.

Summer of pain reflected that.

EQ reflects this model currently.

I think the most important thing is to have those players stuck in the middle move to the top to replace people are bored and leaving the game, the roster development is still new to them.
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,567 ★★★★
    seeing they are gonna introduce many different content for us to use our collection it might be an hint that we might have to also start ranking up crappy champions in case they would have an use??